no ign

HiTech

replaced injectors ..fired this baby up .ran a couple of minutes ..and died ..i checked for spark ..it would spark aboult every other rotation ..... check with cheap scanner .showed crank sensor ...replaced it ..no spark at all then ..changed it again thinking i may have a defect ..nope still no spark .even put the old back in ...no spark .....i then went on and changed the module from a donor.... . one i know works ..no spark ..change coil ..no spark cam sensor no spark ..cap rotor are brand new ..ene grounds are in good shape ....cleaned... i checked all fuses. ....all good ....everything works other than no spark .........starting to pull my hair out and not the hairs that are already out ... ...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHECKED ALL FUSES ..GOOD .WAS NOT STARTING .INJECTORS AND TANK FULL OF SAND .HER OLD BOYFRIEND ....NUMBER THREE NUM1 NUMBER 7 ALL LEAKING FUEL ..55 POUNDS OF FUEL PRESSURE MAX ..TOOK CARE OF THAT PROBLEM ..I PULLED THE CRANK SENSOR WIRES TO CHECK THE OMS ..IN UNPLUGGING .IT ACTAVATED THE FUEL PUMP...RAN A MAGNECOVER THE SENSOR AND AGAIN ACTAVATED THE FUEL PUMP..DIDNT GET A GOOD GROUND TO CHECK OMS .SO FRIDAY ILL FIND A BETTER WAY TO GET A GOOD GROUND ......ITS FUNNY HOW AFTER IT DIED .THE SPARK WAS REAL LIGHT ..ANS SPIRATIC ....NOW NOTHING ,,,SOMEONE BEFORE ME WORKED ON IT AND COULD NOT GET IT TO START ..THEY CHARGED 700.DALLORS TO PUT PLUG WIRES AND CAP ...RIPOFF ...I CANT DO THAT .....SO IF THEY PULLED THE DISTR I DONT KNOW ...IT DIDNT LOOK LIKE IT WAS PULLED ....WONDER IF THE DIST.LOST ITS GROUND ..BTW NO SLACK IN THE DIST SHAFT .

by cam sensor, you do mean crank trigger right?? the dist itself is a common problem in the later mod gm 5.0/5.7, the pickup inside messes up. I would try putting in a different one if I were you.

no its called a cam sensor by our system at work .....29 dallors .i did replace it ...what got me was it on showed crank sensor on scan ....but i also know .if it dont act up ..and just stops working ..ecm wont catch in memory ....anyway i have replaced every thing except ..dist..or ecm ..ill check oms on every thing friday .....i am going to replace the batterys in the door remote .just to see if the alarm is the problem ..though it isnt setting off the horn .old system........thanks for any info ..

by cam sensor, you do mean crank trigger right?? the dist itself is a common problem in the later mod gm 5.0/5.7, the pickup inside messes up. I would try putting in a different one if I were you.

no its called a cam sensor by our system at work .i may add pick up coil cuz thats what it really is ....29 dallors .i did replace it ...what got me was it on showed crank sensor on scan ....but i also know .if it dont act up ..and just stops working ..ecm wont catch in memory ....anyway i have replaced every thing except ..dist..or ecm ..ill check oms on every thing friday .....i am going to replace the batterys in the door remote .just to see if the alarm is the problem ..though it isnt setting off the horn .old system........thanks for any info ..

I think that truck has the resistor in the key, but I cant remember if it interrupts the starter or the ignition. Sounds like you have multiple problems. Those are the hard ones to fix.

you might check the ignition switch and make sure there is 12 v on the pink wire.

HT,

Put the key in the drivers door and cycle(lock/unlock) 4 or 5 times ending in the unlock position. Put key in the ignition and try to start it. If it fails to start it may be the VAT key as will said.

Mark

Oh, does that module have HEI? Id look at pickup coil.

HT,

Put the key in the drivers door and cycle(lock/unlock) 4 or 5 times ending in the unlock position. Put key in the ignition and try to start it. If it fails to start it may be the VAT key as will said.

Mark

Oh, does that module have HEI? Id look at pickup coil.

NOT HEI......ILL TRY ANYTHNG ...BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE AN ALARM ..DIDNT SEE ONE .AND ASKED THE OWNER .OWNER SAID NO ...TRIED THAT ONE ....I WAS JUST TAKING A BREAK ...WAS GOING TO CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT THE PINK WIRE ..EVERYTHING IN THE FUSE BOX IS 12.5......ILL SEE WHAT THE PINK WIRE HAS .....ONCE I GET OVER THIS DISGUSTED FEELING.........WILL HARD AINT THE WORD ...MAD AS BLANK .... ...

Ok if it the key the the dash light would flash when you try to start it. the dist. is a comming problem with a no spark. make shure the dist. is intalled right if you look on the dist. there is an number (8) and a (6) stamp on it. must have it at TDC. and the rotor has to be pointing on the (8). the (6) is for 6 cyl. motors. If that looks good replace the dist.

Ok if it the key the the dash light would flash when you try to start it. the dist. is a comming problem with a no spark. make shure the dist. is intalled right if you look on the dist. there is an number (8) and a (6) stamp on it. must have it at TDC. and the rotor has to be pointing on the (8). the (6) is for 6 cyl. motors. If that looks good replace the dist.

thanks i am starting to lean more on the dist ....seems to be a problem with 96... friends blazer would not start today ..i tested his coil and module at work today .all good ..red spark ......he made me promis if i find out what it is .i have to pass it on to him .same with him ....we are thinking the dist .lost its ground ...

HT,

I have never heard of one of these, but when I googled 96 Yukon wont start one of the suggestions was a fuel tank sensor. I know on the Fords there is an impact sensor which shuts off the fuel pump. I have never heard of a fuel tank sensor?

Mark

i have never heard of that problem but i dont make a liveing full time on working on cars ..anymore ..so i am alittle behind .....but injectors and fuel pump were replaced by me ..they were both shot from someone adding sand to the fuel tank ..the truck started and ran good till i turned it off .and never started again .... i have tested all wireing ..every thing so far is working ...thats what drives me crazy ..lalo had a simular problem .not long ago ..he changed both coil and module with a doner ..and it ran .so he replaced both with new ..they are a couple ..but i did the same thing with a doner set up from a truck i knew ran ..but i am going to try his doner .and see what happens .....you can bet ill jump for joy when i hear this thing fire up ..and i will let everyone know what i found ..i have alot of poeple scratching thier heads over this ..it dont compute ..not to mention i cant sleep .....i hate for something to beat me ..but its getting close ..i dont like buying parts unless i know that will fix it ..i know someone has seen this problem before ..it cant be the first one like this ..tim who runs a firestone here .has the same problem with his 96 blazer ..happend over the weekend .he wont be able to work on it till tonight ..hopefully he may come up with the salution ..good thing my customer has another car to drive ..i dont need him pushing on me ..but i would love to have my driveway back .lol

Jeremy built a Caviliar to run in the front runner class at I-37. The key switch which incorporates a VATS style system went out. (It started then died and would not start again.) He found a donor ign switch and changed it. Car started up. I hate to say it, but I would lean that way...

positive on the no alarm ..looked at the chart you showed ..96 yukon did not show up ...key is just a plain old key ....BUT THIS IS WHAT I FOUND ...I WENT OUT ON A DO TRY IT TRIP ...I NOTICED THROUGH ALL MY CHECKING .IT SEEMED LIKE THE SYSTEM WAS LOOSING ITS GROUND ...SO AFTER NOTICEING THE FUEL PUMP HAD STOPPED WORKING ON KEY ON ..I PULLED THE CRANK SENSOR ..TOOK A WRENCH AND WAS ABLE TO ACTAVATE THE PUMP BY RUNNING THE WRENCH OVER THE SENSOR .AS I DID THAT .THE MOTOR MOVE JUST ALITTLE ..THOUGHT I MAY HAVE JUST BEEN DREAMING ...SO I GOT MY SON TO TURN THE MOTOR OVER WHILE I RAN THAT WRENCH BACK AND FORTH OVER THE SENSOR ..WALLA DIDNT RUN GOOD OF COURSE .BUT DID START ...FOR A SECOND OR TWO ..TRIED IT AGAIN AND IT STARTED THE SAME ....SO NOW I KNOW IT HAS LOST ITS GROUND ...NOW WHERE I DONT KNOW ..I CLEANED ALL CROUNDS .AND BUILT A NEW GROUND CABLE RACEN STYLE AND RAN IT TO THE BODY GROUND WITH THE BATTERY GROUND ..STILL DIDNT START ..SO ILL REPLACE THE MAIN GROUND CABLE .AND HOPE IT STARTS ..IF NOT .IT MUST BE IN THE ECM ..OTHER WORDS IT IS NOT GETTING A GROUND THROUGH THE CRANK FROM WHAT I CAN TELL...ANYONE EVER SEE THE CRANK SENSOR RELUCTOR GO BAD ON THE CRANK ..

Googled 96 Yukon crank sensor:

Answer

Intermittent faults are very difficult to find. Is the vehicle displaying a check engine light on the dash and if so, You need to find out what CODE is being stored in the computer via a scanner.

It COULD BE a lot of things and GUESSING can be very very costly.

The most common faults are caused by moisture getting into the CRANKSHAFT SENSOR wiring connector or into the ignition module connections or various other electrical connectors.

When the fault occurs you need to determine if you have a loss of FUEL, IGNITION to the spark plugs or ignition to the injectors before any diagnostics can be performed.

Archived