Frontrunners at South Texas Speedway

thumper

South Texas Speedway has announced on their website an intrest in adding frontrunners to the lineup.This is one of the fastest growing classes across the state and almost every track has some form of them.Whats great about this type of car is its ability to use cars we see on the street today.This means you dont have to use obsolete models or expensive aftermarket pieces.So even a poorboy ( no reference to Bruce ) can afford to actively participate again.For STS this is a great way to close the gap between karts and automobiles.

They have asked for comments so nows the time to add imput if intrested.They open in a month but fortunately one of these cars can be prepped in a weekend.With so many tracks running them now a big event at years end is a distinct possibility.So get on board or stand outside looking in.

Out of curiosity,who has ideas on what type of car would be a good choice??Thats the fun part.I still favor the Nissan Altima.

I ran a 89 Chevy cavalier at i37 and won the championship with 6 wins and numberous top 3s. I sold it and the fellow that bought it won the championship with it this year. The v6 is good for power but all that weight up front makes it push like a dump truck. That was the 2.8 z24 package. If you could find a 3.1 it would be real fast.

• 3 weeks later...

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ACCUMULATED THREE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS I WOULD LIKE TO PUT ON TRACK. CANT MUCH AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE AND AM DYING TO GET BACK ON TRACK. G.B. THANK YOU SIR FOR KEEPING THE TOPIC ALIVE. I HAVE TWO FRIENDS HELPING ME ON CARS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO GIVE IT A WHIRL. I JUST MOVED TO CORPUS NOT TOO LONG AGO AND ATTENDED JUST ABOUT EVERY RACE WITH MY BABY GIRL AND FRIENDS. THOUGHT WE WOULD HAVE TO DRIVE ALL THE WAY TO PLEASINGTON TO RACE. PLEASE STS LET A POOR GUY LIKE ME MAKE IT BACK ON THE TRACK. HAVE A KART ALMOST READY FOR KIDO ALSO SO WOULD BE HELPING GO BABY GO TREMENDOUSLY. ANY ONE HAVE HONDA ACURA PARTS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. WOULD LIKE TO GET CARS OUT THERE SOON.

All you intrested in running FR cars need to get together and get a set of rules posted somewhere.Keeping information secret hurts attempts to progress.

After thinking about it and remembering racing on that track for a couple of years a 6 cyl might be a better choice if allowed.The track is big enough and has enough grip that the heavier car might be faster with more engine.At Almeda Speedway in Houston they had a 6 cyl class called jalopies that were all 6 cyl cars.Back then they were straight 6s.Almeda was similar to STS in size.A good 4 banger can be good as well.

Get that info out there.

GB they can have 10 sets of rule made up for that class as long as the track does not put any interist in allowing that class to race they will never get the chance some one will need to step up and go and talk to Owen and see if they can race there or not if they cant they can race at CC speedway ,I37 Raceway, and Thunderhill Raceway they are the only one some what close that have that type of cars

bj34 I know there is intrest in this class and Owen was looking for this stepping stone.The problem in the past for 4 cyl cars was the same as it is now.Too expensive and too spread out in performance.The frontrunner car adresses both things.

My point was its time to start getting them ready.Communication between track and potential racers.Its not important to try to establish perfect rules,just a baseline and the fun is learning which factory car suites this track best.Kind of learn as you go.Level playing field that way.

One of the advantages of this type of car just like original Thunders were is a team with a big car can afford to also have a FR car as a team car.Its great for a family member or pit crewman.The hardest part is keeping the primary car driver out of it because there so much fun they try to take it away for themselves. :lol:

The intrest is there.

BJ34, Owen has definitely expressed an interest in the class. He has a preliminary set of rules on the STS site, Fan Guide, Fan Forum.

Basically, and I don't speak for STS, if you have enough cars for a class, you've got a place to race.

just drop the claim rule. this is in no way for sure right i should not get in too deep with these cars

• 3 weeks later...
That is great to see a 4 cly class back out there now everone needs

to get them built and give them a great showing that way they will stay out there good luck to all of you in this class

i got shot gun on the good luck ha ha i will share

That is great to see a 4 cly class back out there now everone needs

to get them built and give them a great showing that way they will stay out there good luck to all of you in this class

i got shot gun on the good luck ha ha i will share

we need rules bad

If you want a front runner class at STS there better be a few more show up than one brave soul. Don't know who it was but saw a hot lap or something and he was pretty fast and smooth. Me thinks the others are skeerd.

IM TRYING SHOULD MAKE NEXT ONE.

If you want a front runner class at STS there better be a few more show up than one brave soul. Don't know who it was but saw a hot lap or something and he was pretty fast and smooth. Me thinks the others are skeerd.

NUMBER 7..JESSE

Well there you guys go. One nice thing about a frontrunner is you can race it anywhere.

In fact there is no reason why they cant run at both tracks on the same night. How cool would that be?

I see no reason why that could not happen in corpus since the tracks are so close together.

Archived