Terry Labonte

mickey_bigdaddy

i worked on phil cronins race cars at meyers when terry show up at meyers he ran up front from the first time he ran meyers terry was a class ack he was allways polite to his eldres i am glad to have met him

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
The Meyer program I have is dated to August 13, 1977.

At that point, in the 1977 season, Kent Lewis was the Late Model points leader, with Terry Labonte in second followed by Joe Plownan, Leroy Brooks, and John Rezek.

The points standings took a big hit the following week with the opening of Hwy 16 in San Antonio.

Almost half of the top ten cars in the points defected to the new track.

The Bronco class had Judson Massingil on top of the points, followed by Rick Ellis, Darrell Koebelen, Fred Ellis, and Dale Koebelen in the top five.

I have a 77 Meyer Speedway program around here somewhere with a picture of Terry and his car, man as he come a long longgggggggg way from the longish wild hair kind of scruffy looking kid in those days. But yes Terry and Bobby are both awesome people. If I find the program I will scan and share, I remember the first time, we saw that 44 stratos graph car on the huge fancy haulertrailer roll into the Meyer Speedway pits. We thought holy hell this is lights out for the Houston drivers, that is some serious business there. Who would have ever guessed the Labonte's have the careers they do now. God Love Texas

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 77 Meyer Speedway program around here somewhere with a picture of Terry and his car, man as he come a long longgggggggg way from the longish wild hair kind of scruffy looking kid in those days. But yes Terry and Bobby are both awesome people. If I find the program I will scan and share, I remember the first time, we saw that 44 stratos graph car on the huge fancy haulertrailer roll into the Meyer Speedway pits. We thought holy hell this is lights out for the Houston drivers, that is some serious business there. Who would have ever guessed the Labonte's have the careers they do now. God Love Texas

The thing about Terry is front the get go, he was fast but very smooth. That first night at HW16 was like being at Daytona for me. Foster, Fryar, Terry, Brooks, Schwabe. Awesome racing. But John Foster snuck away from all of em and won pulling away. Will never forget that night of racing.

• 4 years later...

I remember Terry hitting the wall at Cuddihy in the 57 Chevy and flipping and rolling so hard that the engine was in the center of the windshield. It was the number 44, white 57 Chevy. It wasn't totaled as he returned possibly the next weekend.

bob and terrys shop was just down the road from the track I bet they jumped right on it that night to make the cc speedway races .did not know when I worked for veit automotive for 5 years the shops we used were the same shops bob and terry used before they moved on to greater things .shop number 12 and 13 behind rubios spid and old Brownsville rd .

• 1 year later...

Terry Labonte ran a series called "Texas Race of Champions" (I think) in the 1980s, and I raced in that series at both TWS and at Monterey, Mexico..

EDIT: Sorry, but I guess I'm gettin old (er).........It was Neil Upchurch (of course) who initiated the TRoC series...(sorry Neil)

Archived