Terry Labonte

mickey_bigdaddy

Well,

If we have the lineage of that car right, here is it's legacy:

1976 Track Champion at Meyer Speedway with Terry Labonte.

1977 Track Champion at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Terry Labonte.

1978 First car upside down at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Levi Taylor.

1979 Track Champion at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Slick Yoemans.

1980 First car over the fence at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Slick Yoemans.

The last I heard on the car was Jerry Edwards getting it after it was rebuilt, and the trail runs a little cold there.

For the historical side, if that particular chassis was still in some yard somewhere, it would make for a very significant restoration.

Below, a pic of when Yoemans drove it.

post-21-1296228663.jpg

I got the photo at Meyer Speedway back in the 70s. I scanned it in and posted it in the first post on this thread. My dad & I used to go see him race in Houston when he left Corpus. I'm from Corpus and saw him at Cuddihy Raceway every week. Never saw him at CC Speedway, my dad was boycotting it for some gripe he had against the track owner.

I remember this white 57 Chevy like it was yesterday.

post-9317-1296964135.jpg

Does anyone know who was the builder of the car? I might know where it is.

Well,

If we have the lineage of that car right, here is it's legacy:

1976 Track Champion at Meyer Speedway with Terry Labonte.

1977 Track Champion at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Terry Labonte.

1978 First car upside down at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Levi Taylor.

1979 Track Champion at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Slick Yoemans.

1980 First car over the fence at Hi Way 16 Speedway with Slick Yoemans.

The last I heard on the car was Jerry Edwards getting it after it was rebuilt, and the trail runs a little cold there.

For the historical side, if that particular chassis was still in some yard somewhere, it would make for a very significant restoration.

Below, a pic of when Yoemans drove it.

post-21-1296228663.jpg

• 1 month later...
Okay, first post. I haven't seen this one anywhere, apologies if I missed it. But, I thought it would stir up some memories and discussions. Enjoy!

post-3-1295965604.jpg

Very nice bigdaddy.......it brings back many memories of watching him run at Hwy 16. Did you take this pic yourself? It's dripping with history......

phil cronin won the 1975 latemodel championship called narl i dont think terry ran at meyers to win a championship

i was working on phil cronin car when he won the late model championship in 1975

Terry won the points title at Meyer in 1976.

Top 5 were Terry, Joe Plowman, Kent Lewis, Darrell Stoner, and Mike Crofford.

Final standings are posted on another thread.

The Meyer program I have is dated to August 13, 1977.

At that point, in the 1977 season, Kent Lewis was the Late Model points leader, with Terry Labonte in second followed by Joe Plownan, Leroy Brooks, and John Rezek.

The points standings took a big hit the following week with the opening of Hwy 16 in San Antonio.

Almost half of the top ten cars in the points defected to the new track.

The Bronco class had Judson Massingil on top of the points, followed by Rick Ellis, Darrell Koebelen, Fred Ellis, and Dale Koebelen in the top five.

• 4 months later...

I love this forum!!

I remember Terry Labonte driving a '57 Chevy around CC Speedway. It was white with red and blue stripes. The stripes were an inch wide maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. The numbers (44) were in gold I think. The back 4 on the right side was smaller because the exhaust exit was in the right door. I would love to see that car again. Does anyone have a picture of it?

• 3 months later...
I love this forum!!

I remember Terry Labonte driving a '57 Chevy around CC Speedway. It was white with red and blue stripes. The stripes were an inch wide maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. The numbers (44) were in gold I think. The back 4 on the right side was smaller because the exhaust exit was in the right door. I would love to see that car again. Does anyone have a picture of it?

That car was totaled .if remember right ..hit the opening just under the flag stand ....someone steered the driver that way ...one of the front springs ended up in turn one and two ...never saw it come back out .....seeing that car brings back alot of memorys .....first time terry raced at cc .i saw it come through the gate ..it looked fast ...standing their stapling pit passes on slick.. rick .crazy james .ponce .pat neil and mike flanigan ..billy hardcastle ..harold cope ..dub and jarret rollins ......terry ..the fine ladys hoping not to poke one with the staple ..lollets see anyone else ...nickols ....all shoot i know alot of others just cant think of all the names ...worked the back gate with old melton gator .....frank paid me 5dallors /free pit pass .and a burger and drink .....loved every minute would have done it for free ...AND 5 DOLLARS WENT ALONG WAYS BACK THEN ..I WAS RICH ..LOL.I LONG FOR THOSE DAYS ...RACEN IS NO WHERE ANYTHING LIKE IT WAS IN THOSE DAYS ..IF YOU SAW A RACE YOU WERE LUCKY ..FIGHTS WERE THE NORM ...

my uncle arthur "shorty" berends worked with the 44 of labonte.

heyracecar25 i worked on phil cronins car at meyers i met terry there was your uncle the big man with the beard that worked on terrys car if so what he doing now

my uncle arthur "shorty" berends worked with the 44 of labonte.

i remember that name ......cant put a face to it ..been way to long ....a picture would help.......old frank took many pictures back then .as well as walter ........both are gone as we know

Archived