new track?

hippyracer00

i was driving through bandera this week and passed by the old horse track wen i had an old idea pop up. why hasnt anyone (nascar), (old owners of san antonio) invest n that place. track is already ther. grandstands r allready ther. parkings there. either make it a long dirt track or pave it. sux to let this facility go to waste. besides, prolly more racers n south texas than all texas. i think it could b huge. just a thought.

i was driving through bandera this week and passed by the old horse track wen i had an old idea pop up. why hasnt anyone (nascar), (old owners of san antonio) invest n that place. track is already ther. grandstands r allready ther. parkings there. either make it a long dirt track or pave it. sux to let this facility go to waste. besides, prolly more racers n south texas than all texas. i think it could b huge. just a thought.

I have been quite on this site for a while now but since that old race track is across the street from my property, I will chime in on this post. I hope I do not offend anyone on this matter.

I have been part of two groups that have looked into the old horse track to make it a motorsport track and it all comes down to spending a lot of money.

1. The property is not for sale. (that says a lot right there)

2. From the Hwy it looks ideal but when on the property its really not it was an old 1 mile track now its a grass field.

I personally walked this property for over three hours less than a month ago and to get it in Racing condition it would take a very large 6 digit figure.

I will not list all of the properties pluses and negatives but what I will say is SUPPORT the TRACKS that up and RUNNING if you like DIRT I37 Raceway is a great place to run. ASPHALT I know its a haul but Thunder Hill and Houston are open for business.

I would Love to have a track closer to home but I don't so that is why I support the tracks that running and trying to find ways to keep Texas Racing alive.

Doug

hcwsracing I totally agree with supporting the tracks that are open.Theres no use dreaming about the greener pastures.Without suppore the open tracks might also fade to memories.

Having lost my neighborhood track 2 weeks ago I fing myself also dreaming about someone stepping up to re-open it and the owners are anxiously looking for that person as well.They offer any help possible for a new director/promoter.The sad thing is its an ideal place for a true outdoor sports arena only 1/2 mile from the valleys largest indoor arena, Dodge Stadium.No noise restrictions or neighborhood problems,its in an industrual setting.The sad thing is the owner quit because of lack of support and constant bickering from the teams.With support and encouragement it would still be open.All the negative just exausted the director.And he owns the whole thing!!!

Support your nearest track and if you dont like something,petetion for change.Stop dreaming and go racing.Smile and be pleasant.Dont be negative.There is NO pot of gold at any rainbow.The closed tracks closed for a reason.Thats my advice for 2011.My alternative now is a 6 hour trip to race.Ive already towed over 80,000 miles iin the last 15 years.Sure was nice to have a track 40 miles away but not anymore. G.B.Carter, Harlingen

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to say that i wasnt not supporting local tracks. i race on a regular basis at i-37 raceway and attend races at surrounding areas, DOUG. i just hate to see a good racing facility go to waste, like s.a. fact is the more conveineint tracks are to people the more people are gona build cars and for years i pulled over 200 miles round trip just to race. racing wasnt my expence it was GAS. after the closing of mounten home, many of my friends had to pull all the way to pleasonton. i love that track and now call it my home. guesse im just thinking bout keeping racing alive, u know.?

Well sorry to rub you wrong hippyracer

I was not saying you did not support local tracks the facility you are talking about is not at all a good place to race cars. The best thing it has going for it is a paved parking lot. There are NO comparisons to SAS and an old 1 mile horse track. Trust me I would LOVE to walk across the street to a track. I was just stating facts not pointing fingers.

Hope to see everyone at I-37 and THR later this year

Doug

Well sorry to rub you wrong hippyracer

I was not saying you did not support local tracks the facility you are talking about is not at all a good place to race cars. The best thing it has going for it is a paved parking lot. There are NO comparisons to SAS and an old 1 mile horse track. Trust me I would LOVE to walk across the street to a track. I was just stating facts not pointing fingers.

Hope to see everyone at I-37 and THR later this year

Doug

no sweat. didnt mean to sound sarcastic. but honestly its n just about as bad a shape as sas. and no place is just "a good place" to race untill you make it "a good place." cars. trucks. horses. dem, boats. lol...... but they have things n common that could make it work. concessions. grandstands. parking. and, yip. a track.

Archived