Spark Plug Comparisons

CC57

would small silver flakes visible to the naked eye on a plug mean to much or too little timing?

Start here as first you must know if all else is correct! The speckings are the final determination you make after you got heat range and mixture correct. Typically ANY specks are detonation starting to occur - whether from timing, mixture or overheating must be determined by the other indicators on the plug.

the accell shorty will fit - but I personally don't like them. they are stingy with the insulator's ability to retain the particulates - in other words if you are pushing the envelope on mixture you will probably loose the head gasket before the plug lets you know with the telltale signs of silver specs on the nose.

wow!!! i remembered a quote you made earlier that a plug is a plug,so last nite i put a small(i assume lawnmower) plug in # 4 hole ,plug wire had good clearance!!motor ran fine,was loading up a bit under cautions but motor ran great!!!i will check all my plugs and see what the outcome/damage is..thanks

the accell shorty will fit - but I personally don't like them. they are stingy with the insulator's ability to retain the particulates - in other words if you are pushing the envelope on mixture you will probably loose the head gasket before the plug lets you know with the telltale signs of silver specs on the nose.

wow!!! i remembered a quote you made earlier that a plug is a plug,so last nite i put a small(i assume lawnmower) plug in # 4 hole ,plug wire had good clearance!!motor ran fine,was loading up a bit under cautions but motor ran great!!!i will check all my plugs and see what the outcome/damage is..thanks

I did mean that in the context of all things (heat range, reach, application fitment etc) being equal when BRAND comparing!

Don't rely on it for tuning - and it probably is not the correct heat range or ceramic hardness for a race engine - so watch out for detonation on that one cyl (although its probably too HOT of a plug rather than to cold - too cold can turn into a glow plug!). Lawn mowers don't see the same compression as a passenger engine - to save manufacturing costs the insulator could be bonded differently and get blown right out leaving an open hole!

But you now how the shorty will fit! Once tuned I have no issues with them.

Archived