Shorty & Dub

Hrodder

the most exciting race I ever remember watching was the 100 lapper that ended the 1957 season at CC speedway Shorty let Dub lead it for 99 laps and then passed him in 3 & 4 for the checkers. I lived across the street from Sidney Hale,Shorty was one of my first heros in racing. Any one else remember these guys????

well i know a few things from back then will .storys though .. i was to young to know much of anything then ..1 years old ..lol ...as for shorty .. what was his last name ..was it also rollins .... as for dub ..i was one of his biggest fans ... watched dub for many many years ... he would always take time to visit with you ..his son jarret was the same way .....i sliped off the pit stands one night .and landed on top of dubs car ..i didnt think it was at the time funny .but dub did ....

Shorty & Dub were brothers. Shorty drove for Lewis Bogus Ford. Sidney Hale was the parts dept. mgr. for Lewis Bogus and crew chief on Shortys 56 Ford. They were an almost unbeatable team.

Shorty went on to race NASCAR convertibles in 1958 and 1959 I think. He is in the NASCAR record book as winning one of those races.

This all comes from what my wife calls my virtual storehouse of utterly useless information.

Sidney lived on a corner lot on Manchiem & Hamlet we lived diagonally across the street on the corner lot . I was 14 years old but I had a 1934 Ford sedan with a Mercury motor.

Jimmy Brown was Sidney Hales brother in law I think. He used to build exhaust systems for racers, I remember lettering on race cars that said "NOISE BY JIMMY BROWN".

Jimmy Gellispe lived behind Sidney, Jimmy had a sling shot dragster called "THE BELLY DANCER" It had an injected Hemi engine. Before the Hemi was ready we put the engine out of Shortys race car in the dragster and took it to the drag races in Victoria and if I remember correctly Ralph Payne went 136 mph. Not bad for a 312 with 2 ,four barrels and direct drive.

• 2 years later...
the most exciting race I ever remember watching was the 100 lapper that ended the 1957 season at CC speedway Shorty let Dub lead it for 99 laps and then passed him in 3 & 4 for the checkers. I lived across the street from Sidney Hale,Shorty was one of my first heros in racing. Any one else remember these guys????

I was at that race. The person that led 99 laps was Johnny Rollins -not Dub. Shorty,Johnny and Dub are my uncles. Jarrett Rollins is my cousin. Billy Hardcastle is married to my cousin (Jarrett's sister). Shorty left Texas in 1958 to go Nascar racing. Was the Nascar rookie of the year in 1958. Shorty also won the very first race ran at Daytona Speedway. A 100 mile qualifying race. As a result started on the outside pole. Was running 5th halfway through the race when his engine blew. Shorty basically retired after that -moving to Pensacola,FL. He told me many times about Jr Johnson,Lee Petty,Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly just to name a few of the drivers he raced against. In 1958 he ranked 4th in driver points. Mike Flanagan went to Nascar with Shorty to help as the pit crew. I believe so did Billy Ruszika. though not sure. I have many memories of the early days of CC Speedway. All good. Obviously I feel Shorty, John,Dub, Jarret and Billy Hardcastle should be in the Hall of Fame.

I was at that race. The person that led 99 laps was Johnny Rollins -not Dub. Shorty,Johnny and Dub are my uncles. Jarrett Rollins is my cousin. Billy Hardcastle is married to my cousin (Jarrett's sister). Shorty left Texas in 1958 to go Nascar racing. Was the Nascar rookie of the year in 1958. Shorty also won the very first race ran at Daytona Speedway. A 100 mile qualifying race. As a result started on the outside pole. Was running 5th halfway through the race when his engine blew. Shorty basically retired after that -moving to Pensacola,FL. He told me many times about Jr Johnson,Lee Petty,Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly just to name a few of the drivers he raced against. In 1958 he ranked 4th in driver points. Mike Flanagan went to Nascar with Shorty to help as the pit crew. I believe so did Billy Ruszika. though not sure. I have many memories of the early days of CC Speedway. All good. Obviously I feel Shorty, John,Dub, Jarret and Billy Hardcastle should be in the Hall of Fame.

i second that last part ......i really injoyed those 60.s and all said drivers .was to young to see shorty race ..

Shorty & Dub were brothers. Shorty drove for Lewis Bogus Ford. Sidney Hale was the parts dept. mgr. for Lewis Bogus and crew chief on Shortys 56 Ford. They were an almost unbeatable team.

Shorty went on to race NASCAR convertibles in 1958 and 1959 I think. He is in the NASCAR record book as winning one of those races.

This all comes from what my wife calls my virtual storehouse of utterly useless information.

You are correct about Shorty. During the time Shorty raced at CCSpeedway - his brother Johnny also raced. Johnny drove a 1955 Chev -the mechanic on the car was Dub Rollins. After Shorty left -a couple of years later is when Dub started racing. He started in a 1950 Ford. Shorty and Johnny raced numerous times in Houston and Shreveport , LA. Shreveport was a dirt track. Shorty,Johnny and Dub were good friends of AJ Foyt. AJ raced a few times at CC Speedway. Shorty and Johnny also told me how good a driver Billy Wade from Houston was. Billy Wade was killed testing tires at Daytona Speedway. When Shorty went to Nascar -he was the rookie of the year in 1958-finishing 4th in points in 1958.I know all of this because Shorty,Johnny,and Dub are my uncles.

You are correct about Shorty. During the time Shorty raced at CCSpeedway - his brother Johnny also raced. Johnny drove a 1955 Chev -the mechanic on the car was Dub Rollins. After Shorty left -a couple of years later is when Dub started racing. He started in a 1950 Ford. Shorty and Johnny raced numerous times in Houston and Shreveport , LA. Shreveport was a dirt track. Shorty,Johnny and Dub were good friends of AJ Foyt. AJ raced a few times at CC Speedway. Shorty and Johnny also told me how good a driver Billy Wade from Houston was. Billy Wade was killed testing tires at Daytona Speedway. When Shorty went to Nascar -he was the rookie of the year in 1958-finishing 4th in points in 1958.I know all of this because Shorty,Johnny,and Dub are my uncles.

Im sorry but I dont remember a Johnny Rollins, was he older or younger thah Shorty?

What I do remember about that night was the car that won was Shorty in a red & white 56 Ford,2nd place was a black & white 55 chev with Dub's garage painted on it with Dub painted above the drivers door.

I guess Dub let Johnny drive his car that night.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived