Over heating issues

usra43

Once they're worn and start transferring metal to the belt, replace them.

Hmmm - I understand theory - but lack on application. What would one be looking for as an indicator?

Indications of serpentine pulley wear are easy to spot. Ribs first begin to lose their coating and get shiny, then as they wear they lose the sharpness and flatten out the tops of the ribs. Once this happens the belt will slip no matter how tight it is when on and off the gas as in dirt track racing. I've seen it happen in 5 races or less and cause overheating problems that were driving people crazy. With a large steel fan KRC recommends an idler system just for this reason, to keep tension on the belt as it heats and stretches, and prolong pulley life.

We had been having some overheating issues for the last few races also. Since I was confident that everything else in our cooling system was correct including the advice I gave, we looked at our pulleys after reading this. Our pulleys were a couple of seasons old and had not been cleaned periodically. Sure enough, they showed all of the symptoms of wear described above. Replaced the pulleys before the last race, and sure enough, the motor ran cooler.

I also spoke to the folks at KRC since we run their pulleys. They recommend cleaning the serpentine pulleys every few races to keep the buildup out of the grooves - this will extend the life of the pulley.

Just some added info on the topic. Thanks for the info kingracing76.

Archived