1951 Playland Park, etc.

Super91

I haven't had much luck (to be precise, no luck) searching for the 100" offset supermodified that lost its way somewhere in the Houston area. However, I found a couple of photos recently that might be of interest to someone in the Houston area.

The 1st one is from Playland Park 1951 with M.J. Burton (Left) and Don Burton (Right)

post-3-1281493100.jpg

The 2nd is also from 1951 Playland Park with Ray Steffens (Left) winner of the passenger car race, M.J. Burton (Center) winner of the modified race and promoter Ray Lavely (Right).

post-3-1281493106.jpg

The 3rd is obviously a scanned photo and this may have already appeared in the forum. If so, I apologize for the redundancy

post-3-1281493114.jpg

Mike Pogue

Claremore, OK

• 2 weeks later...

thank you sir for some fine photo's, if i'm not mistaken, the last photo look's like it was from meyer speedway in the 60's, if you have more photo's, please post them even if they might have been posted before, we never get enough of those photo's, that was the best day's of my life, again, thanks, del harris ;)

• 1 month later...
thank you sir for some fine photo's, if i'm not mistaken, the last photo look's like it was from meyer speedway in the 60's, if you have more photo's, please post them even if they might have been posted before, we never get enough of those photo's, that was the best day's of my life, again, thanks, del harris ;)

I agree with you Del. Look at that crowd!

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it may be Mr. White in the deuce....................................................... :D:D

Oh, Del I have a page of stuff but don't know how to post or send it.

Jim,

Ol' Bronco # 8

Jim,

The 3rd pic is definitly Meyer Spdwy, late '60s, maybe '67 or '68. :blink: My guess would be, from the pole, George Nash, Jackie Woosley, Ronnie Chumley, Billy Perran, and Bill White.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

I would say that Meyer photo would be 1968 due to some of the new body styles that started poppin up in 68.

I would say the outside pole is Walter Ballard's 48' Ford cut down and it was painted dark green in it's second year ( 68 ). It was a light mettalic Green in 67..

Woolsly's modified was a 48 Chevy..

That big escape hole in the back of Ballard's car prooved to be efficient for Walter later on..

Jim,

I would say that Meyer photo would be 1968 due to some of the new body styles that started poppin up in 68.

I would say the outside pole is Walter Ballard's 48' Ford cut down after it was painted dark green.

Woolsly's modified was a 48 Chevy..

That big escape hole in the back of Ballard's car prooved to be efficient for Walter later on..

Apparently another time I was talking when I should have been listening. Most likely it is the Walter Ballard Modified from that era. The Jackie Woosley modified GM sedan Modified Stock Car was raced in '66, and after that I don't remember the Batmobile, as it was called.

Larry,

If I'm not mistaken the Batmobile ran through 67' and after that I don't remember seeing it again.

Ballard's modified disappeared also by the end of 68' season.

Woosley began driving the yellow Edmond style body #8 if my memory serves me right in 69.

The time passes quickly and so does my memory..

I'm pretty sure the year is correct however. I just recall seeing the old coupes beginning to diappear in 68-69

Loved the old coupes!

Archived