Drag Boat Racer John Haas

KISS_Racing

Those F-16 canopies are actually 3 piece laminate comprised of a polyurethane outer layer about .50" thick for durability and scratch resistance, a central polycarbonate core of .75" and a thin 1/8" acrylic inner layer. The latest version is designed for a 550 knot impact. They weigh about 45-50 pounds.

Not sure if the boats use this canopy, or the earlier 350 knot version, which is a little thinner and lighter.

John Haas was a 4 Time World Champion In Top Fuel Drag Boats, They Do Not Run The Full 1/4 mile Anymore, They Now run 1,000 ft

same as NHRA Pro classes, This Year. He Was Going 217 mph and Had already crossed the Finish, The Boat Hit some waves and Hooked a sponson and Did a Barrel Roll. The capsule Did break away from the boat, Like its supposed to, but at that speed,its like hitting pavement. I was on a TFH Team Call TEQULIA SUNRISE We Crashed in Phoneix,Az 2 years ago, The Same way John Did,We were at 225 mph but Our Driver Lived, He was in a Body cast for 6 months, These Drivers and Teams Know the risk everytime They strap Into There boats. We are a Very close Knit Family and Pray on the Loading ramp Before Every Run, The Teams Make the boats as safe as possible, We would Check everything each run, check the props,shafts and driveline for cracks,or weak parts. I saw John In san angelo last month , He was Involved In a Crash In The final with Darrell Earlick when the rudder broke at half track, and came across in front of Darrell. John was O/K but Darrell had some injuries. He is recovering ok. please keep John and his Wife and 2 sons in your Prayers. Thank You

Bill Pendleton

BP Racing

Bill,

Thanks for sharing. We have been going for probably the past 5-6 years. Have walked the pits many times and spoken to alot of drivers and crew. Would have to agree that teams and drivers all seem very close. I would also say many were very open about their faith.

Again to the Haas Family. You are in our thoughts and prayers... May The Lord wrap his arms around you'll.

Mark

Archived