1972 Pan Am

see86go

Today, I found a long-lost box of racing stuff, and ran across a number of items from Pan Am, Speed-O-Rama and Highway 16 Raceway. Here are a couple of Polaroids I took on a Sunday afternoon in 1972:

The first photo is, I believe, the Super Stock dash. Hubert Bean is in the lead with Ted Jones to his outside, Carl Wentrcek is in third with Fred Elbel, Sr. to his outside, and Walter Groff is in 5th. This shows just how wide those tires were.

dash.jpg

The next photo is of the driver introductions just before the feature. My uncle, Fred Elbel, was the "spotlight" driver that week, and his sons Fred, Jr. and Ed are to his right. Other drivers in the photo are Walter Groff (#88), I believe that's Darrell Godfredson's Pontiac convertible to Walter's right, Ted Jones is on the inside of the #20, I think the driver of the Camaro is Harold Oatman, and Todd Ford is behind the #20.

spotlight.jpg

It's amazing that these photos and the other stuff I found survived a 1300-mile move, and then a fire. As soon as I get some time I will post the 1971 Speed-O-Rama program and some other relics I found.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived