A few vintage open wheel photos

Super91

• 6 months later...

Super 91

Do you have any info on where these pictures were taken or who the drivers are and

most inportant do you have anymore picture of cars like these. The photo of the #83, whenever

Gordon Wooley would enter a super modified race at Meyer Speedway there was a picture

of him standing by this car. On the "Racing From The Past" web site on the Texas super

modifieds section on the second page 6 there is a photo of Benito Greenle #74 and it looks

to be the #33 car in the last photo. The #3 car T bucket I'm sure a photo I have of a #91

blue and white car is the same car. The photo was taken at Meyer Speedway at one of

the super modified races, I think there were three guys who worked on the car until time

ran out, they couldn't get it to run and it I never saw it on the track.

thank; Byron

• 2 weeks later...

The # 83 was driven by Dale Breedlove, not sure where it was taken. The # 3 is Frank Riley taken at Old Devils Bowl, Not sure who the 33 car was, but the white #8 sitting by it is the Chapman Brothers coupe driven by Jerry Crocker, I think it also was taken at Old Devils bowl.

Thanks for the responses, I have seen a photo of the #83 on track at the new Pan American

Speedway with Gordon Wooley at the wheel. Until we started going to the dirt tracks around

the Houston area the only time we got to see cars like these was at the Liberty Bell super

modified races.

thanks much, Byron

• 6 months later...
When did you originally buy the 33 car?

I have to find pictures looks like my dad's last super before going to sprints

I started drivig this car body at moody clary in 1972 . It

belonged to Terry @ Henry Wooten of Navasota .Previously

from around Plastine. Oil field folks. Friends with Doug Engals

Around east Texas . Henry drove stock dars over there..

When i started it had a square tube roll cage . In the off

season it was replaced with a round tube. I drove it for one

year like that and Henry built a new frame and used the

same body again.

The shock bracket on the left rear is no longer in this location

but the body has a patch in there. refering to the pic of the

33car. So I am thinking thi 33 car coild be my car?

Tell me about yours .

Danny Wilson

The Wandering Buffalo

5B Big H Moody Clary Spdwy

Here are the pictures of the car of course a lot of them looked like this.

I guess, my dad did say he thought they sold it to someone around

Navasota area, but it did not have a square cage.

He raced at Devils bowl regularly and he was happy running this car.

He said they were light weight, fast and it was paid for. He said he paid

the bills with these type cars in the 60's.

From the pictures the sprint came about in 1969.

He ran the Ford FE block engines. I don't know if the Holman Moody 427

was in this picture or not, but he said it did better on carbs and gas then

fuel injection and alcohol when they got the Nance sprint. That is when it

didn't twist a axle in two. My uncle said the sprint car frame was built for

a small block Chevy and couldn't get a big enough radiator in it to lean it

out for alcohol.

He said he beat Hooker Hood on 7 cylinders in this car before.

They used to hang around with the Chapman brothers from some of the

stories he has told me. He started running supers at Big D and the old Devils Bowl.

I would like to see these cars make a comeback.

post-3-1314834729.jpg

post-3-1314834735.jpg

The # 83 was driven by Dale Breedlove, not sure where it was taken. The # 3 is Frank Riley taken at Old Devils Bowl, Not sure who the 33 car was, but the white #8 sitting by it is the Chapman Brothers coupe driven by Jerry Crocker, I think it also was taken at Old Devils bowl.

HEY 97car This is only spot I can get back to reply every

thjing hiden behind adds on rt side page canhj read all of

message. I am trying to post my pics maybe tis week end

Two things I see different well at least 3 rear end in different

location tail on my car is longer and in pic. of car and guys

body is seamed different so maybe not same car but

close cousin . Any way I will try for this week end .

Where are you now ? I am in Houston.

I had a few Texas vintage racing photos that might be of interest to some. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the scans. I'd like to blame it on the scanner...but it's probably the operator.

post-3-1314846966.jpg

Who is the fella pictured with the 3 car.

Hey 5B

Glad to know a real Moody & Clary modified is still around. When I first saw the picture of the 33 car the 5B immediately came to mind, the main differences where the Falcon front sheet metal and the cage shape. I didn't remember the square tubing but I do remember the corners of the cage where squared off. I hope you restore it back to the way you last raced it so folks can see what it was like back in the day. You should also check out the Vintage Texas Openwheel web site. They are trying to get events and shows for people who have or are buying old race cars and restoring them in Texas. Some of their events include track time, I'm sure they would love to here from you.

Now I have a question for you, do you know what happened to the coupe that your dad raced at M&C or anything about that car like who he got it from or what color or number it was before he painted it blue.

Thanks much ; Byron

Hey Byron We bought the coupe dad drove on Fm 1314 north of Porter .

on the left /west side of road. Paid 150.00 for in 1972. We ran it at Navasota

Waco China and Almeda.

The car was yellow and had #95 in red or black numbers. The 95 bronco from Meyer spdwy.

numbers and style are pretty close maybe same people ?

We ran it as a coupe and loved it, but we were told body had to go rear engine cars and

sprinters it impaired vision and unsafe so body went away and roll cage altered.

A distinguishing design to the body may help to identify car was that the top at the rear

slightly extended . kind of like the bicycle helments of to day odd looking.

It is in a picture in here some place as a blue coupe # 11 on the outside of Red Smith

#3 I have a few pictures of it I'll get posted. Lost dad in 1985. Miss Him.

Also I have seen the car on another webb site It had a companion car # 95 a 56 chevy

stocker at a dirt track I do not KNOW it had trees in the back ground.

Danny Wil;son 5b

Hey 5B

Glad to know a real Moody & Clary modified is still around. When I first saw the picture of the 33 car the 5B immediately came to mind, the main differences where the Falcon front sheet metal and the cage shape. I didn't remember the square tubing but I do remember the corners of the cage where squared off. I hope you restore it back to the way you last raced it so folks can see what it was like back in the day. You should also check out the Vintage Texas Openwheel web site. They are trying to get events and shows for people who have or are buying old race cars and restoring them in Texas. Some of their events include track time, I'm sure they would love to here from you.

Now I have a question for you, do you know what happened to the coupe that your dad raced at M&C or anything about that car like who he got it from or what color or number it was before he painted it blue.

Thanks much ; Byron

I seem to have a great deal of trouble with tech. I have posted my first pics but some how can not get words and pics to gether or reply to work from every post. so here we go.

Byron the coupe you asked me about is posted here the day we brought it home

not a good shot of car but it is of the man of the hour my dad the next picture is of the body

a rear shot you can kinof see the extention of the roof I was talking about. I wll post more pics and try to get words together but may come back and do this.

the next two are of 5b on the track at Moody Clary spdwy.looks like between 1&2 in hot laps

again I will post more pics . the more I look at the two [33 & 5b] the more I see the same

and or different. kinda looks like body altered on drivers side.

the wandering Buffalo

Danny Wilson

Hey 5B

Thanks much ; Byron

Byron the coupe you asked me about is posted here the day we brought it home

not a good shot of car but it is of the man of the hour my dad the next picture is of the body

a rear shot you can kinof see the extention of the roof I was talking about. I wll post more pics and try to get words together but may come back and do this.

the next two are of 5b on the track at Moody Clary spdwy.looks like between 1&2 in hot laps

again I will post more pics . the more I look at the two [33 & 5b] the more I see the same

and or different. kinda looks like body altered on drivers side.

the wandering Buffalo

Danny Wilson

post-3-1315618795.jpg

post-3-1315618801.jpg

post-3-1315618807.jpg

post-3-1315618816.jpg

post-3-1315618828.jpg

post-3-1315618834.jpg

post-3-1315618846.jpg

post-3-1315618857.jpg

post-3-1315618874.jpg

post-3-1315618882.jpg