Fans Leaving To Early.

I have Noticed That the fans Are leaving around 10:00 in the evening on race night, I know that Mary Ann wants to run The TSRS last, But Fans are Not Sticking around Till They run. Just wanted to see if The program might change its format. Mix up the running Order Different Nights. Just My Opinion, I Think More People would come If They could see them run early in the night,Not taking anything from any other classes, But Familys want to get home at a decent hour with their kids. Thanks Bill

BP Racing

In my opinion, the focus should be on how to get the show over by 10:30 rather than on rearranging the schedule. As I mentioned in another thread, I thought THR did a great job Sat night. The only thing I thought could have been improved was the ending time. That being said, I have a feeling Mary Ann and crew do not want the show to go that late either, and I bet they will take measures to fix that.

If Qualifying starts at 5:30 (what do you figure, a minute per car from entry to exit)

5 classes qualifying with an average of 10 cars per class- 50-60 min time: 55 min

5 classes running heat races (10 min per heat race-start to finish) time: 50 min

Opening ceremonies (start to finish) time: 1 hr

10 feature races (using posted time limits) excludes out of car intro time: 4.5 hr

Total time: 6.25 hrs

If the racing starts at 5:30 it’s going to end around 11:45pm

I think cutting the end time to 10:30 or 11 is realistic. From a fans perspective I think there is a hang-up about getting home after midnight (especially if they have children). I think adding the entertainment for the young fans was a great idea. The food has improved; actually the sausage wraps are GREAT! The overall atmosphere in the grandstand area has stepped up a notch in my opinion.

Back when I was Comp Director at THR, I kept track of qualifying for the Spectacular. We used the same system that is in use today except it was a wire and not transponders.

109 cars took time trials (13 Legacys, 23 TAMS, 17 TPS, 22 ROMCO, 15 ARTS and 19 TSRS).

Time trials went from 4:14 p.m. until 6:32 p.m. (which is 2 hours and 18 minutes). Thankfully, we had no blown motors and only 2 and a half minutes were needed to remove a stalled car. We did have one minor mix-up with the TPS time trials when someone pushed the wrong button on the timer and that car had to re-time. That cost another 60 seconds, or so. On the other hand, there were no major delays in getting cars onto the track since there were numerous officials (both series officials and THR officials) feeding cars to the track. There were, however, a couple of minor delays in getting the next car onto the track.

Figuring it all up, it took 138 minutes to qualify 109 (110 if we count the TPS car that had to time again) cars which equals 1 minute and 17 seconds per car.

Based on this information, it would make sense if we allocated 1 minute and 30 seconds per car when we are figuring up future race schedules.

Nick

In no way am i bashing or being mean or trying to be a promoter...

There were 400 Laps or racing action on the schedule for last weekend... if they were non stop, @ an average 18 sec lap...

it would take 2 hrs to get these done.

Now enter in what really takes the time, the on and off the track, the cautions, the clean up,

Things that i have seen to speed up a show:

Solo and done rule. If you bring out a caution by yourself you are done for that race.

Shorter races. (If you add up the time limits for the feature races alone, you have nearly 4 hrs of racing right there)

Feature only nights when you have 2 many classes... (Start feature by draw or Points)

Some nights things are just going to run late, even with less classes running some times you have several blown motors or wrecks. That just the way racing is. Unpredictable.

I just want to thank THR for working hard and giving us ALL a place to race.

At Houston, We are done @ 10:00 most every night. There features are a few laps shorter than at THR, and they have a 45min autograph sesson for the fan's.

Trucks 40

Pro Mods 40

Pro Lates 50

Pro Stocks 20

I don't have an answer, but that might help.

At Houston, We are done @ 10:00 most every night. There features are a few laps shorter than at THR, and they have a 45min autograph sesson for the fan's.

Trucks 40

Pro Mods 40

Pro Lates 50

Pro Stocks 20

I would think that would help out with the fuel bill as well.

I was there Saturday night and thought the races went very smoothly but with 10 classes of cars running no matter how smooth they go you will run late. I think Aaron had the right idea that when you run that many classes in one night, eliminate the heats and only run features. At the end of last season, shows were ending early and it sure was nice to get back home before midnight. Since so many classes are running, the only other solution I see is to race every Saturday night and run fewer classes each week. This would give each class the opportunity to run every other weekend but I am sure the cost to run the weekly shows would make this prohibitive. I sure won't suggest cutting classes cause that starts forum wars.

Trucks 40

Pro Mods 40

Pro Lates 50

Pro Stocks 20

HMP usually only runs 6 or 7 classes. I noticed too that the stands had thinned out by the time the Super Stocks came out. I think moving everything up in the day would be better than cutting classes. Starting qualifying at 4:00 instead of 5:30ish would get everything done earlier. OBVIOUSLY, cautions, wrecks and unadvoidable problems all factor into the equation. Overall, I think Mary Ann and THR do a heckuva job getting that many classes through in that amount of time.

When you figure in all the stuff this year, Dropped race for the Rainout, and now these changes just announced... it will be the tightest points races ever seen at THR i believe!! Example is here are the Thunder Stock points with the Drop race figured in. I am really in 3rd place even though i have been to both races..

post-719-1272919652.jpg

Archived