Tire Issue....

CJY08

Just wondering what tire size's some are running in are class... The Sumitomo 215/50/13 I guess are to wide or something.... mite be because they're 3 years old too... anyone wanna say what sizes they got? or that will be legal in are class need some new tires now thanks to someone........

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I can remember that is the size that most of the cars were using last year and that was the size that was agreed to at the drivers meeting (2??/50/13).I think they mesure out to what is legal or a little bigger.

they are the same tires that have been running at cc for a few years now ..and charly you know already what jr and lisa have .... i remember something aboult cc looking into tires and make a ruleling ..well its been a few months .and a few nights .and nothing on em .so everyone is running what they have for years ..and now thats a problem ..mainly cuz one car running in the thunders dont run these tires .[ not to put blame on that one car ].[[ that man is doing great on what he has]] ......so i guess thats the tire everyone has to go to ..costly .. WILL going to 15.s isnt the answer.. that cost too ..the season is already running ...i know one car was warned ..dont know which one it was .it wasnt one of ours .

I don't know what is legal in that class but I wouold run whatever the 88 ministaock was running. She was very fast untill whatever malfunction happened to the car. She was the only car I saw all night that past anybody on the track, and was using the outside to do it. Apparently something went wrong in the back of the car.

Here's an Idea I haven't talked to all the thunder drivers yet but most of them today.... Why dont we do like the bombers do.... Correct me if am wrong but the bomber drivers cant go over a certain tire size right? How about no wider then 215 for the thunders and call it that? anything under 215 wont have any advange and nothing over 215 sound good????

Here's an Idea I haven't talked to all the thunder drivers yet but most of them today.... Why dont we do like the bombers do.... Correct me if am wrong but the bomber drivers cant go over a certain tire size right? How about no wider then 215 for the thunders and call it that? anything under 215 wont have any advange and nothing over 215 sound good????

well wasnt that suppose to be decided back at the rules meeting .and never was cuz the track wanted to look into tires .. its to late to change something now ... four or five cars run those tires ,and two more when they show up ..

One question what if your car is not running on 215 they are smaller? I have one that runs on 205/55/15 and the other oneruns on 205/50/15 . the 50/15 are new . The main thing was the tread wear something about the softnest of the tire when the heat starts to build up they start to get more grip. that is why they said some thing aboutrunning a 380 treadwear on all the cars . To help keep the cost of racen down.

You are right would make it easy to teck, but if some one had a lot of money they could run a 280 treadwear and replace them ever weekend and out run everyone because they would have all kinds of grip going in and out of the turns

BJ, like i said in the earlier post.. Run them, Have the Max width 215 and you can run what ever you want just not over 215.... sounds pretty easy to tech that way

was it your car charly ..my understanding was they were to wide ...thats what makes this a sticky situation ..cuz most of the thunders run this same tire thats been around for years .. now one problem if they are to wide .would be running low tire pressures .. and most run purty close to the same tire pressure .may have to add some to it ..

when we had measured them they were a little over 7.25 i dont really care because i have done better running the 205/50/15 and the 195/50/15 than the wider 13's, in my opinion a good stagger is far superior to a wide tire and we never found that in 13's or 14's because of the odd wheel size. its not until you go to 15's that you have a decent selection

ha ha i tryed to get something done at the meeting on tires and heads and it didnt work w so everyone stop complaining and just race

look no offense but this a problem that the drivers need to work out

considering that this the tire that has been the thunder tire for the last few years

no one is complaining we just dont want to spend all that money n get DQ'ed for

something that isnt shouldnt be an issue considering thats wat we agreed on ..the question at the meeting was "what do yall ant to run" the tire rule is fine how it is n i believe that us drivers should get together and get this straightened out once again any opinoins

The original rules allowed only a 7" wide tire.A couple of years later the rule was changed to 7 1/4 " to allow the little Sumitomo.Mainly because there was not much to choose from in a 13" tire and a lot of people already had 13" wheels.Aluminum wheels were also allowed because for some cars they were cheaper and were prooven to be just as strong if a factory rim.While a good little tire and inexpensice it is not the best tire for speed.

Charly,all tires get shorter and wider with age.The 7 1/4 inch tread is on a new tire.Im guessing what the track is saying DONT USE OLD TIRES.The one drawback is these likkle tires last forever.I measured several of mine different ages and found about 1/4 inch variation.Because they are so short they are not best for some cars because of gear ratio.Even the 14" tires are getting harder to find a competetive tire.Most hi performance tires make a 15 as a starter size.

This issue should be resolved before you loose more cars.The track has the final say so ask them what they want.At RGS they changed the tire rule to a max 235 for the first number. (235-50-15 as an example )

For me I dont care what the tire rule is as long as everyone has the same.A 6" tire would create better racing and even up the horsepower differences.It would be like a dry slick dirt track where everybody runs together and you fight for inches,not cat lengths.

Let me know whats decided,its too far to drive for surprises.Thumpers comming along good.

but u would have to make it a for instence 215 50....like the bombers the biggest u can run is a 235 70 15

but u would have to make it a for instence 215 50....like the bombers the biggest u can run is a 235 70 15

no you would just need to say a 215 max and what ever profile and rim size you what to bring cause i have said it many time before its dumb to put an inch size on a class that only runs metric tires and THE 2ND AND 3RD # HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW WIDE THE TIRE IS . flat out

You are right would make it easy to teck, but if some one had a lot of money they could run a 280 treadwear and replace them ever weekend and out run everyone because they would have all kinds of grip going in and out of the turns

no i run a 200 and had them all last year and plan on running them all this year. they dont wear down every dang week

I did not know what treadwear you were running or are still running I just made up a number to make a point. If they do what was said at the meeting you might not be running them much longer .They might be to soft . your right ever 2or 3 weeks.

BJ, like i said in the earlier post.. Run them, Have the Max width 215 and you can run what ever you want just not over 215.... sounds pretty easy to tech that way

was it your car charly ..my understanding was they were to wide ...thats what makes this a sticky situation ..cuz most of the thunders run this same tire thats been around for years .. now one problem if they are to wide .would be running low tire pressures .. and most run purty close to the same tire pressure .may have to add some to it ..

Yeah a few of us got warning's, but Am not tryin to change the rules, just trying to make it easier for everyone around becuz Jesse,Lisa,Me,justin and other thunders are running that same tire... 215/50/13... anyone want to meet up at the track and try to talk to dan about this? like will said they been running this same tire since 2004...why change now? And crt not complaining or gonna sell are cars over this.....just trying to make this easier for drivers and the track....

Archived