Merged Classes

Taz Racing

I had my throttle hang in the heat wich sent me into the trees, tore the car up pretty good. bent most steering components and ripped off rear brake lines.I made the feature but it was ugly, could'nt counter steer in the corners and had NO brakes. as for merging the classes it did'nt bother me. those guys are fast and i like watching them. It was nice getting home earlier. we live in kerrville and thats a pretty good drive. I think Jim and the staff are doing a good job and their just trying to make things exciting.

I think Jim and staff are doing a good job too.

We also have a SS and a LLM but that doesnt mean that we want to run them together. My SS driver wasnt there this week because he was becoming a father but he will be back soon enough.

As for the drive we pull from Pipe Creek just about a 200 mile round trip for us. But the time doesnt bother me, as much as having unsafe and crazy rough drivers who like to take people out just so they can win a race. And there are a couple of them in each class that think they can do that.

As for the brakes mine went out at the end of the heat race I bought parts from Gary also. Thought I had them fixed but after the first caution they where real real soft . So not to damage myself or anyone else I pulled off the track and didnt finish the race.

Let me insert my 2 cents here, mainly because i can't keep my mouth (fingers) quiet.

1) merging classes together is only asking for disaster, no one is going to come out happy with this (except maybe a ss driver that out ran a llm, then he gets bragging rights and adds more fuel to the fire)

2) i hate watching a feature with only 3,4, or five cars. I have been in these (sos winter race) these are not fun and all i could do was hope they were over, after about 4-5 laps it is pretty evident who is going to finish where, there are a few exceptions but not usually.

3) what point would it be to run the ps with the ss during their feture, to trick the fans into thinking there are more cars out there? i would be pissed if i was a ss leading a feature and a ps car caused me to bobble and cost me a win, on the same token if i was a ps car running for $100.00 and a slow lapped ss cost me the dash for cash i would be upset as well, again, i don't see anybody happy about this situation.

4) any driver that gets on the track has to make a decision, is my car safe and do i have a chance to be competitive, if your answer to either of these questions is no, park it. If you want the points, make one lap at the back and pull off.

To sum all this up I think a shortened feature (one lap for every car or 8 or 10 laps) is the way to go.

Freddy, if you want to bring that tank of a car 33 out, put some blocks on the pedals (so I can reach them), I would love to drive it for you!

1) We all agree that the car count in these 2 classes are low. I know that there are still several cars being put together and I hope they show up soon. Just don't want to lose cars because of this merger. Hopefully thing will work out. Less laps is an idea till the count improves. The fans might have a hard time keeping track of their favorite drivers with two classes running together if they spread out too far.

2) No matter who the driver is, safety should always come first. Parts can be replaced but limbs or a life can't.

Thank you Nick for letting this thread continue. Hopefully it hasn't gotten too out of hand.

frontrunners,pure stocks,street stocks,lim late models,sportmod,big mods and sometimes sprints! does anybody else think its too many classes? especially anyone that has to drive 45min or farther?

I drive over two hours each way (118 miles one way), i don't think it is too many classes, compared to HOT that runs 9 classes each week. I think you need the entry level classes and the upper ones as well. If we did not have a red in the llm heat, a red in the frontrunners, a sm race that took forever to run and a mod that took almost as long to run (i was envolved one way or another in three cautions in the mods) the night would of been a lot shorter, nothing the track can do about that other than make it one and done on the single car cautions. Last year i hated the intermission, a wasted 20 to 30 minutes each night, now that they have the go carts it is at least spent on something. I have been at some tracks that were not over till 1-2, and then a 2-3 hour drive home sucks, I think i need to build a track closer to me! I am not a huge fan of the llm's, but they are fun to watch and there is no way to merg them in with another class, maybe the pures and streets or something like that.

frontrunners,pure stocks,street stocks,lim late models,sportmod,big mods and sometimes sprints! does anybody else think its too many classes? especially anyone that has to drive 45min or farther?

I drive over two hours each way (118 miles one way), i don't think it is too many classes, compared to HOT that runs 9 classes each week. I think you need the entry level classes and the upper ones as well. If we did not have a red in the llm heat, a red in the frontrunners, a sm race that took forever to run and a mod that took almost as long to run (i was envolved one way or another in three cautions in the mods) the night would of been a lot shorter, nothing the track can do about that other than make it one and done on the single car cautions. Last year i hated the intermission, a wasted 20 to 30 minutes each night, now that they have the go carts it is at least spent on something. I have been at some tracks that were not over till 1-2, and then a 2-3 hour drive home sucks, I think i need to build a track closer to me! I am not a huge fan of the llm's, but they are fun to watch and there is no way to merg them in with another class, maybe the pures and streets or something like that.

rd9 i dont know if its is to many classes goliad ha just as many if not more classes and we usally get home by the time you all get done

In my opinion, it's not the number of classes or laps thats totally at fault for the late nights. We, the drivers should take part of the blame. Every class has at least 1 or 2 that thinks when the green drops, they need to be in the lead going into turn 1. If you're already in front, ok, if you're back in the pack, it's like bumper cars and someone is going to bring out a caution before even 1 lap is complete. Also, if for whatever reason your car isn't handling well, that right foot works 2 ways. Backoff to something you can handle and not use the other cars to stay on the track. Again, jmo

Also, if there is a restart before 1 lap is complete, get back in your spot you were in a minute ago and not try to go to the front. If after the first lap, if you brought out the caution, go to the back. If not, line up behind the car you were behind when the caution cameout. Taking 5 to 10 laps to get everyone lined up also delays things.

In my opinion, it's not the number of classes or laps thats totally at fault for the late nights. We, the drivers should take part of the blame. Every class has at least 1 or 2 that thinks when the green drops, they need to be in the lead going into turn 1. If you're already in front, ok, if you're back in the pack, it's like bumper cars and someone is going to bring out a caution before even 1 lap is complete. Also, if for whatever reason your car isn't handling well, that right foot works 2 ways. Backoff to something you can handle and not use the other cars to stay on the track. Again, jmo

Also, if there is a restart before 1 lap is complete, get back in your spot you were in a minute ago and not try to go to the front. If after the first lap, if you brought out the caution, go to the back. If not, line up behind the car you were behind when the caution cameout. Taking 5 to 10 laps to get everyone lined up also delays things.

YEP, AMEN, AND YEP!

Well since we all have an opinion here's mine! Let me say that I am a wife of a racer, mother of a racer and most importantly a huge fan of racing!.... As a huge fan I would much rather watch a class with only three or four cars that are nose to tail or side by side racing than a class that has ten to fifteen cars and you know who is gonna win after the first or second lap....

As a supporter of I37 since the day it opened I feel that the low car counts in the street stock and late models are due to a lack of teching. I've seen several times when instead of DQing someone they let it slide. This hurts car count. We have a car that we are building and will be ready soon!

I must say too that we are extremely thankful to the Gonzales for giving a place to race! Traveling is really hard with todays economy and having a family that requires alot of commitments!!

Well that my opinion,

Kim Marcx

Wife of Howie Marcx llm#13

Mother of Hailee Marcx frontrunner #113

texas dirt speedway had 4 classes back in the day and we use to go out and eat after the races and still get home right after midnight! and there was about 2000 fans in the stands! the first couple years of racing! and the modifides were paid $400 to win now 13yrs later its $400 to win but the racing fuel has doubled and pit entries have almost doubled! idk all i know is racing is an addiction and im not gonna quit!lmao

texas dirt speedway had 4 classes back in the day and we use to go out and eat after the races and still get home right after midnight! and there was about 2000 fans in the stands! the first couple years of racing! and the modifides were paid $400 to win now 13yrs later its $400 to win but the racing fuel has doubled and pit entries have almost doubled! idk all i know is racing is an addiction and im not gonna quit!lmao

me either, you don't hear me crying. working on the car getting it ready for the next race, it's never been about the money. mind therapy for me. take care.

Well, if car counts are low the track has to do SOMETHING. If I had my LLM out there I prolly wouldn't like running with streets either. Low car count class that has 3 cars has to be ready for a 6 lap main. Only other option. Talk to the guys in your class and try to get them to come out. Fans are priorty number one , with drivers a very close number two. Neither can exist without the other, and the track needs both.

Can the track improve? Can the drivers improve? Probalbly yes to both at any track.

I agree with rd9 Ray, less classes is better for the fans and drivers. If you don't believe that read what Dick Bergren has to say about it(Speedway Illustrated). 9classes is crazy, 4-5 at most is probalbly optimum, but change is difficult if you are in the class that gets cut. Pure stocks almost always have the highest car counts. Sportmods are probalbly the biggest growing faster class now. LLM are awesome, wish mine was still on the track. Move up or down.

Here is to hoping no tracks close, large car counts, CLEAN drivers and HUGE purses!!!!!!!!!! :P:rolleyes::lol:

If I may even tho my car doesn't even start yet, I have been reading everything on here and considering we don't have any spare parts and have a late model and I can say due to the crazy driving and what have ya, its probly a good thing I'm not out there. Merging the classes despit of speed or what ever, the cars when they get together creat a lopsided issue. I have aluminum plus flex steel supports and can take a hit pretty good. As long as I don't bend my main bars. If 2 late models hit door to door, the results might be less dramatic. Point being, its not a smart thing to do. The car counts are low and we are working hard to get ours out there. Like richard said its addicting. Its driving me nuts because I know I can run with taz, mr bartosh, and yes even skains only because well have the equipment to do it. Last year we didn't. But some of us can't replace anything if we get too tore up. So many issues have to be addressed so we can all put our cars on the trailer. Now I'm by far not knocking anyone. The ss are fast. But the cars are designed to take a btter blow than ours and they don't need to mix the two classes. As for driving crazy, safety is and issue. Yes I rolled all by myself only cause the car wouldn't turn. But for the most part, I've never hit anyone. Got spun twice last year by someone that has already been in the trees, into other cars and what have ya. Not knockin him but there has to be a respect out there. And considering I respect every driver out there, racing does happen. This is something that needs to be looked at from all of us and ask ourselves, what's the goal here. Again its so I can learn and move up and be competitive and entertain the fans. I'm jmo.

This is SO WELL SAID!!! Pure common sense and respect. We use transponders and a big display board, and STILL there are guys who feel they can steal a spot! The officials will try and try, finally the flagman will throw a red and climb out on the track for some face to face discussions. That ain't racing at that point, it's just drama, and most officials don't forget it.

We've run them long enough for everyone to get used to them, hobbys and minis don't run them, and it can sure help the lineup, but again, you can still have guys going round and round unwilling to get into the mandated spot.... I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be for scorers to be accurate during a busy race of 25 or more laps. Not a job I'd want, fer sher!

Archived