Merged Classes

Taz Racing

:( I hope that this was just an experiment this last week merging the street stock and the limited late models together. I realize the car count was low, but this surely will not make it any better. Steel and aluminum just don't mix. The ss # 8 sustained minor body damage while the llm # 12 had major damage losing his front suspension, two tires, probably at least one wheel and the whole right side of his car. Those kind of losses surley don't help the car count. The ss are fast, very fast but they got in their class for a reason as the llm's got in their class for a reason. I want to apoligize to the llm #12 for for his first time on this track experience. Hopely you'll be back and the merged classes will be over with.

Steel and Aluminum just don't mix.

JMO,

Gary "Taz" Hunter

Nothing personal...but I saw your car tore up on opening night by another LLm....wrecking is what causes stuff to tear up....not what the body is made up of...

I think as racers we sometimes dont see the big picture...fans do not want to see 2, 8 car classes...

Just for the record...I ran my Street Stock camaro against your LLm a while back and was just as fast as you guys....a few hundred pounds is not that big a deal....now a 2,000# car against a 3,400# car...that is a real concern...

I think for the good of the classes and the tracks...merging is never a bad thing...I have seen it in other types of racing all the time....we need to really be concerned with the fans...cause without them..there will be no track...

But..I personally like to see when they merge classes...is each class still gets scored seperatly...JMO...AJ

First off, Combining ANY classes together is uncalled for! If anything, I believe an option could have been to lower the laps in the street stock class being there's only a 4, well now a 3 car count! The LLM that spun would have spun on his own and not hit anyone if the street stocks were not running in the same class. This incident was a perfect example of why merging ANY classes is uncalled for. 1 LLM was messed up along with 1 street stock.

Secondly, I believe all the talking going on with the LLM was rude, those street stocks did a darn good job on staying with the pack and a few LLM could have been passed if there were a few more laps to go.

Thirdly, ALL THE YELLOWS WERE FROM THE LLM, NOT THE STREET STOCKS! JUST FYI!

I think the street stocks did a great job of keeping up . AJ and WADE deserve a big congrats ! I would have been scared to run with the LLM with that number 25 flying around all over the place. I thought I saw the birds getting out of the way in turn 2 a couple of times. The main thing no one was injured. Too bad the car counts are so low in both classes. They are fun to watch.

4wheelink--I hope that you weren't referring to me--if so I'm sorry. I have all the respect for the street stock drivers and always have. My post states that they are fast, very fast. and I know that they could have passed me. They were told in the drivers meeting not to compete against the llm's. This isn't fair to that class cause they want to race all out. No disrepect intended toward the street stock class or drivers.

Gary

AJ.....yes they were scored separately...

Shane....the guys name is Kody Hardage...that's all I know about him....

I'm guessing this idea was done more for the fans than anything else.....Certainly no one wanted to see anyone get torn up......but occasionaly "racing happen"......

Talked to him the weekend before... He was a really nice guy... Fron the Canyon Lake area. I believe he was going to run at Shady Oaks pending sponsorship.

In regards to the merging classes I was approached to run my pure with the SS guys. I have my reservations about it but would give it a try as long as the races were spread out some from our Feature... I think there are 4-5 guys that if we all showed up we could at least not get in the way if we were running a dash for cash while the SS ran for points ect...Maybe take the previous weeks top 5 let them run with the SS and make it a dash for cash for those drivers. Just a thought... Either way I hope there are some cars that end up showing up soon.

sucked seeing that pretty 12 car get tore up, but i dont think it was the merges fault. it could have just as easily been another llm on his outside when he got loose. just happened to be the street stock. sucks the car counts are low, but i sure hate watching 3 cars run around for 20 laps. maybe the counts will increase as the season goes on.

In regards to the merging classes I was approached to run my pure with the SS guys. I have my reservations about it but would give it a try as long as the races were spread out some from our Feature... I think there are 4-5 guys that if we all showed up we could at least not get in the way if we were running a dash for cash while the SS ran for points ect...Maybe take the previous weeks top 5 let them run with the SS and make it a dash for cash for those drivers. Just a thought... Either way I hope there are some cars that end up showing up soon.

I will go with you Marc and run with the SS cars ,if they give us enough time between races to check out our cars. I think it would be a lot of fun ! I am sure a few other volunteers will come forward. I know of several SS cars being built but everyone is just low on funds or time. I still have the old 33 ready to go also. Talk to you soon ,Freddy

I am with AJ its not the cars fault for getting torn up its ill handling cars, inexperienced drivers or a combination of both. Mix that with a fast track its a bad combination. Dont any one driver take this personal but with the tires and chassis adjustments available and allowed cant figure how its possible to spin a llm out!

not that anyone cares about my opinion but here it goes! i want to c the track do well cause its a lot of fun to race in front of a big crowd! ive been racing since 1994 and ive been to atleast 10 different tracks and usually there is only 3 to 4 classes. this helps with more cars in less classes. i know personally last year we had a street stock and we couldnt run anywhere else unless we changed tires, weight or engine was too much or too little. after this season jim needs to consider condensing the ss and llm. maybe for this yr he can let those 2 classes alternate weeks which will help finish the races sooner! talked to some corpus friends after sat about 1200am they were already home and i was just leaving! just my opinion

JMHO here... but I don't think that Gary is putting down the SS he is simply saying that they are two different classes. Do the SS guys want the Pure Stock cars racing with them? Prolly not... Not because they think they are better, but because they think they are different. Do the Pure Stocks want the Front Runners running with them? Hell... I may be way off base, but I'm betting there were some SS guys that weren't really fired up to run with the LLM's.

What about the other side of the coin?

If the LLM is slowing the SS down, and spinning out... does he get sent to the back of the pack under caution or does he get sent to the back of the LLM's (where he is back in the way of the faster SS's)?

I think it just opens up a can of worms, and gets drivers upset.

Money is tight this year for everyone. I don't know anyone in either of these classes that is making a living with this as their sole profession. So, why are they doing it? 1) For fun (so we tell ourselves) and 2) Points, Prestige, Bragging Rights... call it what you will, but basiclly the ability to say "I built my car by the same rules as these other guys and I beat them". But when you throw a whole other class of cars and drivers (some slower and some faster) in the mix I think its just a recepie for disaster and leaves a bad taste in several drivers mouth on both sides of the class line.

Again... JMHO

:unsure:

I wasn't real happy with the merge either.

I also hated to see the #12 get torn up like that. I personaly want to see how this car runs, the man has been to the track twice with nothing but bad luck. Don't even know his name yet but if i can help just call me Shane 210-364-5929.

I had my throttle hang in the heat wich sent me into the trees, tore the car up pretty good. bent most steering components and ripped off rear brake lines.I made the feature but it was ugly, could'nt counter steer in the corners and had NO brakes. as for merging the classes it did'nt bother me. those guys are fast and i like watching them. It was nice getting home earlier. we live in kerrville and thats a pretty good drive. I think Jim and the staff are doing a good job and their just trying to make things exciting.

I don't really like running the streets with the llm either. A rub between steel and aluminum means a scratch in the steel and a caved in panel on the aluminum. Luckily even running on 7 cylynders I was able to stay ahead of them, but not fast enough to catch em. On another note, 7 cylynders is one thing. Going out with NO brakes is looking for a disaster.

Richard

I don't really like running the streets with the llm either. A rub between steel and aluminum means a scratch in the steel and a caved in panel on the aluminum. Luckily even running on 7 cylynders I was able to stay ahead of them, but not fast enough to catch em. On another note, 7 cylynders is one thing. Going out with NO brakes is looking for a disaster.

Richard

You should try a Holley 750 cfm carb. I wasn't at the race, so I don't know how far running on 7 cylinders put ya down, but maybe that would have helped make up the difference. :blink:

I had my throttle hang in the heat wich sent me into the trees, tore the car up pretty good. bent most steering components and ripped off rear brake lines.I made the feature but it was ugly, could'nt counter steer in the corners and had NO brakes. as for merging the classes it did'nt bother me. those guys are fast and i like watching them. It was nice getting home earlier. we live in kerrville and thats a pretty good drive. I think Jim and the staff are doing a good job and their just trying to make things exciting.

So you're saying that you're car was unsafe to yourself and others and illegal with NO BRAKES. (Rules state at least 3 working brakes) Car should have been teched before getting back on track. You drove the car the same way in the feature as you did in the heat race but knowingly without any brakes?????

What happened to safety for youself and others????

Archived