The Car "The Man" himself is building!

txracinfireman

1970's / 2010 McElreath Sprint car. We were looking for one of Jim McElreaths cars to restore, and after asking him if he knew where any of the cars he built might still be, he agreed to build one more! We are very excited to be involved in the construction of the car with him. I'll post more pics as we progress.

post-3-1269308544.jpg

post-3-1269308550.jpg

post-3-1269308557.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks Great, keep the pictures coming. I have one questions, it looks like the cage is welded on so how can you remove it for chrome plating? :unsure:

If you cut it loose how do you weld it back on without messing up the chrome?

Thats easy to answer....Use Chrome welding rods. :lol:

As many Supers as I welded together I never knew there was Chrome welding rods, LOL. I'll soon be 74 and I still learn something new every day, LOL. BUT how do you keep the chrome from turning blue from the heat?

If its welded back on they most likely will paint up to it and cover it with padding. With the body panels on it we probably wont even see where its welded. It should look cool with a chrome cage. Im ready to see the lasted pics of it.

Jim chrome plated several cages on his cars. After welding , it is taped off and painted where the chrome is burned. It is only about2 - 3 inches. It is going to the plater tomorrow morning! I'll be adding pics as soon as its welded back on.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The car is finished, and it was unveiled in Wichita Falls last weekend in fron of Jim McElreath and his wife at the Texhoma Racers reunion.

The guy with the pics of the event spent last week writing up the story for a magazine that will feature the event. Said author is also leaving in the morning on a road trip to Tulsa.

He, and my Father, are going to Tulsa with Bill Jones to deliver a midget engine, and to also pick up a large collection of Offy engine parts, as well as a Kurtis Kraft Midget chassis.

These parts and the car will come back to San Antonio for future projects.

They will also have pics to bring back from the Jack Zink Ranch Auto Museum, a private collection of former Zink Oil racing cars. You pretty much gotta have an invitation to see these cars.

If I didn't have to worry about work this week, as well as jury duty monday, I'd be on that trip with them.

Archived