FRONT RUNNER CLASS

DAN MONROE

how long does everbody thing this class is going to last Thunder hill started the same class and alot of the cars have all ready being sold the first year I dont know if they are building new cars or not I37 started the same type of class and a lot of them cars are being sold to so is there a lot of hope in this type of class making it
The frontrunner class at I37 is really becoming popular,especially with the kids and women. Yes ,some of the cars are for sale because some better drivers are moving up a class and some want to upgrade their cars. This class at 37 is great because a lot of people can get started racing cheap and have fun.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys lets wait for the official announcements for Thunders before we go ballistic.I hope they tell us soon so we can plan next year.

I dont pretend to know what Dan is thinking nor is it my business past my investment in my CC Speedway racing team.Everybody wants similar things for 4 cyl racing and this is one idea.It just happens to be the only one that counts.

I absolutly know what its like to park a car due to having no place to run it.I have 5 in my backyard right now.2 modifieds,one outlaw mini and 2 front drive cars.I was lucky enough to sell 2 others.4 of these cars were obsoleted at CC Speedway because of rules changes,most pushed by some of you.So I dont feel sorry for any of you except the new guys that only want to race/

The new class gives everyone a chance to race abet it is an entry level car.It is not however an entry level talent requirment for driver.We all wanted cheaper cars and this does not get any cheaper.You could have saved the Thunder class if you had not removed the claim rule.It would have been"buy it or shut up".

When we started Thunder cars most everybody walked out and most never returned.The class took off anyway with new people so threats mean little.Again wait for an official announcement.The track is not going to include drivers on their decion making.You have to do what I do every year and look at whats out there.Then decide whats beas for you.Quit,change,adjust,no one can make that decion yet.I always look at all options and pick the most finicially rewarding for me out of necessity.I seriously considered building a Thunderhill mini stock but there just too far away.

The success of the new class depends on the track.It will not build itself.But if they get behind it,promote it,treat it as a real race class and pay them it will be very successful.Especially if they dont let us vote on anything.The people at Thunderhill banned together to start their program,hence the cars for sale.They were built by teams that build race cars regulary.They can knock one out in a day or two.Just like Mr Yocum did with bombers.He built some,got others to build some and it became to most popular class ever.Then came the rules changing and etc.

In 1992 we started the original Thunder class at RGS and it was very similar to the THR minnies.The only difference was beginner only clause,any transmittions,and a roll cage was not necessary.Instead a 1/4 inch plate was bolted on the driver side past the door to protect the driver.Our biggest problem was building a roll cage.There was nobody selling tubing,bending tubing or kits available.The plate car started slow,I had the first one for my wife,the second one was built by the track and loaned to different people on race nite.By the end of the year we had over 20 cars.The track really got behind this deal because there were less than 20 cars total in the pits before that for all the classes.We had over a dozen brands.My groupe had 7.The most fun was looking at different cars to imagine what would be the best.We matched cars to personalities.

Lets see what happens before we panic.At least now the automatic cars are equal.

Lets see what happens before we panic.At least now the automatic cars are equal.

i agree with most of what you said .though i am not in a panic ..lol rally i think this is great .....revert back to post 24 .this fan said it all .... this goes for all classes aswell .

Mike,regardless to what happens to Thunder cars we 4 cyl racers owe it to the 4 cyl racing community in general to support this venue weather we participate directly or not.These cars are our cousins and represent the cro-magum days of ministocks.Evey your early day stories could be about this deal.

This is a great oppourtunity for the local people to start in the sport with little investment.The rules are the first step to define the car.After they are announced,its just a matter of searching for the right car.I bet everyone knows where a perfect canidate is sitting,be it a shop,neighbors house or a trade in at a car lot.The smart thing is to get one already running.My choice is a lite rollover,vandalizes,minior damaged etc that is not good for the road but still runs good.Then the tough part is the rollcage.This is where the track people can help by refering teams to cage builders,kits or even finding cheap source of tubing.After the car is stripped and caged,seat belts and seat,window net,its time to go racing.Experienced teams will know how to tune with tire pressures,toe adjustments weight position etc.Heck even with Thunders running full blast I would have one of these too for seat time.A full field of FR cars can only lead to a higher level class as well,theres the Thunder cars.So its important to keep seperate our feeling about Thunders from the FR cars and support both.With the FR cars everybody on the team can race.True story.

The car brand matter little.

C.C. WILL START A FRONT RUNNER CLASS THIS YEAR. RULES WILL BE POSTED LATER BUT WILL BE CLOSE TO THUNDER HILLS RULES. THIS CLASS WILL BE OPEN TO EVERYBODY. WE WILL BE HAVING OUR DRIVERS MEETINGS SOON.

Where in thjs post does it say that I am cutting the thunders! All last year the car count was low in the Thunder class but I stuck with them. The supers have an entry level class (BOMBERS) so mabe this will be the thunders. One reason I decided to start this class is at the CCPD auction sat. there were alot of these type cars that went for 2 or 3 hundred dollars and they drove them off!!! I myself bought a few to put togather to sale. please hold back on the gripping till all the facts are in. We need a bigger car count in the thunder class this is true But alot of people that were not in this class last year are going to get back involved and mabe the class will grow and it wont be cut. CAR COUNT is the main reason to cut a class

My brother inlaw has a stock mustange he bought 2 or 3 years a go with a automatic transmision he did far with it . dont forget he had never driven a race car by for then they put racen springs and he was a little better so if someone had experance they could run with the thunders

C.C. WILL START A FRONT RUNNER CLASS THIS YEAR. RULES WILL BE POSTED LATER BUT WILL BE CLOSE TO THUNDER HILLS RULES. THIS CLASS WILL BE OPEN TO EVERYBODY. WE WILL BE HAVING OUR DRIVERS MEETINGS SOON.

Where in thjs post does it say that I am cutting the thunders! All last year the car count was low in the Thunder class but I stuck with them. The supers have an entry level class (BOMBERS) so mabe this will be the thunders. One reason I decided to start this class is at the CCPD auction sat. there were alot of these type cars that went for 2 or 3 hundred dollars and they drove them off!!! I myself bought a few to put togather to sale. please hold back on the gripping till all the facts are in. We need a bigger car count in the thunder class this is true But alot of people that were not in this class last year are going to get back involved and mabe the class will grow and it wont be cut. CAR COUNT is the main reason to cut a class

Well..............HOW ABOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!! :lol:

Mike,regardless to what happens to Thunder cars we 4 cyl racers owe it to the 4 cyl racing community in general to support this venue weather we participate directly or not.These cars are our cousins and represent the cro-magum days of ministocks.Evey your early day stories could be about this deal.

This is a great oppourtunity for the local people to start in the sport with little investment.The rules are the first step to define the car.After they are announced,its just a matter of searching for the right car.I bet everyone knows where a perfect canidate is sitting,be it a shop,neighbors house or a trade in at a car lot.The smart thing is to get one already running.My choice is a lite rollover,vandalizes,minior damaged etc that is not good for the road but still runs good.Then the tough part is the rollcage.This is where the track people can help by refering teams to cage builders,kits or even finding cheap source of tubing.After the car is stripped and caged,seat belts and seat,window net,its time to go racing.Experienced teams will know how to tune with tire pressures,toe adjustments weight position etc.Heck even with Thunders running full blast I would have one of these too for seat time.A full field of FR cars can only lead to a higher level class as well,theres the Thunder cars.So its important to keep seperate our feeling about Thunders from the FR cars and support both.With the FR cars everybody on the team can race.True story.

The car brand matter little.

where did i say i didnt support this class .im for it . course full fwd class would be heaven for you ..lol just had to throw that one in ...you have anything laying around i may want to buy ...

what kinda cars were you finding ... plus to add .. i told some guys at work what you are starting ....it was positive ......i told them they can afford it now ... keep it cheap ..

I'm thinking about building one of these. dont know what kind of car to use yet. there is a ford festiva down the street. I could afford this class. leave the car at my parents house in corpus and come down every couple weeks and race.

Yeah Will, the Neons arent allowed in Thunderhills rules or many other tracks around the country in classes like this. You ruined it for everyone dude :lol: The Neon is a bad little car

sorta funny there are a lot of cars faster than a neon .but this poor car is getting hammerd ..i bet dodge never though when they built this . vega chevette style junk ..it would be so populaR .. but ford still rules ..lol

Well I hope Neons are not outlawed.Again the claim rule will keep these cars in check.All brands.

It would be fun to have a thread about which car would make a perfect FR car.If 2 door cars are allowed an Acura Integra GSR would be fantastic.220HP stock.If only 4 doors are allowed a Nissan Altima is also a great choice.2.4 dohc multivalve and an unbreakable trans.I bet there are pleanty of domestic choices as well.How bout it Mike,what do you think?

Dont buy anything until the rules are posted,it might not be accepted.But looking is free.

I37 STARTED WITH FOUR OR FIVE CARS TO BEGIN THIS PAST SEASON AND I THINK AT THE LAST POINTS RACE WE HAD 14 CARS AND 18 TO 20 AT THE ENDURO. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE THE RULES MY WIFE HAS TWO DIFF TYPES OF CARS TO RUN, WE MIGHT WANT TO RACE A FEW TIMES, BOTH FOUR CYLINDERS.

I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE ONE SUGGESTION, I KNOW YOU CANT RUN A STANDARD AT THR AND IM NOT SURE WHY, BUT I WOULD SAY DONT USE THAT RULE, I DONT SEE HOW A STANDARD WILL BENEFIT ANYONE, IF ANYTHING IT MAY HURT, MAY PUT THE CAR IN BETWEEN GEARS AND CAUSE YOU TO HAVE TO SHIFT. THEY (THR) ALLOWED US TO RUN AT THE SPECTACULAR WITH OUR PROBE STANDARD SHIFT AND WE WERE IN BETWEEN GEARS-IT DIDNT HELP US.

Well I hope Neons are not outlawed.Again the claim rule will keep these cars in check.All brands.

It would be fun to have a thread about which car would make a perfect FR car.If 2 door cars are allowed an Acura Integra GSR would be fantastic.220HP stock.If only 4 doors are allowed a Nissan Altima is also a great choice.2.4 dohc multivalve and an unbreakable trans.I bet there are pleanty of domestic choices as well.How bout it Mike,what do you think?

Dont buy anything until the rules are posted,it might not be accepted.But looking is free.

... i would not be looking for a slow car ..but some of those would be hard to find and cost alot .you on the other hand have the gumba over us in finding one cheap ... so hopefully dan would and this would be hard .to keep it in the cheapy cars .and most of em in the same horse power range ..dont need them blowing doors ... we already have that with the thunders .... remember he is trying to get car count up and make it cheap so anyone can race ..

Archived