I 37 Sat nites in 2010

txhotmod

Danielson,you have really been thinking about this,it sounds like you want I37 to stay open. Thats great ! I like the idea of the first race being a benefit for the track as long as its still for points,as you say that helps get the track off on the right foot. As far as the track owners/operators driving,wasnt SOS owner driving at SOS. I dont really see a problem unless there is a problem in the tech area. We all know the track people are not getting rich,so unless you can drive and have fun too,whats the point in keeping the track open ? AND,you know how hard it would be to get 37,SOS and STS to sit together and work out dates and rules. I would LOVE to see that day but I can only imagine for now. We the drivers need to help advertise and get the word out also in the towns we live in. Most people in my area know nothing about dirt tracks just the drag strip in Sequin. Keep the ideas coming. I am sure some of the tracks are reading these. I HOPE !

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as the track owners/operators driving,wasnt SOS owner driving at SOS. I dont really see a problem unless there is a problem in the tech area.

FYI - Jim did not really "race" at SOS....When he got hurt at SOS it was a grudge type race...just a fun event...He did not race in any regular races at SOS...

I37 going to Saturday may not hurt them but I dont see it helping them either.

But staying on Friday WOULD hurt, possibly close them!!!!

why I37 couldnt figure out a way to make Friday work for them.

They've tried for how many years and it hasn't?.....It's been a while since it has worked, and a lot of things have changed since those days.

"Insanity"....Doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results....I can personally attest to this!!!

With you going back to IMCA wouldnt Friday help get those out of town guys running for points a possibility?

NO....with the new points/max number of races system that IMCA implimented it would NOT benefit guys running for points.

With STS might not be running Mods has anyone approached SOS about going IMCA

YES.....Greg has talked to Brian about this.

This possibly could have opened the doors getting the class rules somewhat together.

Tracks don't seem to want common rules.....Just look at Houston....They want their racers to stay at one track.

First your own family member cant be on the track racing.

There's two sides to this issue.....Yes it opens up the possibility of favoritism, but ALL tracks have that regardless of family......Now if the winnings go back to the track, that helps the track doesn't it.....and I would THINK any family member racing would be putting the money back into the track.

So do I have a dog in this fight?

If you don't/can't/won't race there....NO!

I37 and SOS had decent car counts in Limiteds, Pure Stocks and Street Stocks with some of those cars running at both

Thought I disproved that theory already?????

SOS would have been a easy group to talk to and I am sure STS would have listened as well.

Do you know for a FACT that did/did not happen? [edited out by Nick Holt, 11/22/09]

I never understood about the lack of communication when you have the internet. I37 has never taken advantage of using it.

OBTW.....I know for fact that tracks do read things on here(other sites).....but the SMART promoter will avoid confrontation with every Tom, Dick, Harry that thinks they know better.....You never saw Pat(Texas Thunder), Gene(HOT), Rob(Abilene), Seth(HRP), etc. get on any forum to "debate" any issues....Only post rain out, schedules/changes or big show info.....As much as I hate to admit this.....I take Nick's side.....If you have an issue take it up with the track mano y mano.....TACTFULLY...if not they'll just turn a deaf ear on you(as would any other business if you go off on a rant)

[edited by Nick Holt, 11/22/09] This is a msg board for the purpose of asking questions posting information and sharing thought/discussions. Somebody posted Staurday racing change and I with others are asking why..

[eidted by Nick Holt, 11/22/09]

Every class in Houston runs the same rules except for 1 class the pure stocks and the carb is the only difference between tracks. So in other words the mods, limiteds, street stocks, hobby stock, dwarfs, sprints, mini sprints all run the same rules.

Oh by the way the hobby rules they have been running for the last 8 years are the rules I made and every track in Houston runs em. Why is that its because they have annual promoter/owner meetings to try to work with each other.

Lewis Thurston was a furniture salesmen and owned his own co. with his now x wife. I know him personally [edited out by Nick Holt, 11/22/09] I have leased 105 before when it was closed. I did it 4 times when there were very few tracks to race at 6 years ago. I have also leased Motorama Speedway to help provide more racing. I have done it and have made money doing it. [edited by Nick Holt, 11/22/09]

A real racer would never wish i37 to close and I have stated that before.

Dont want common rules is BS! The problem is not one track wants to give up everything and change what they have costing their drivers all the money. Each of the tracks needs to give alittle to spread out the expense and as few of changes as possible.

Jim at SOS called me every Sunday and asked me and lots of others how our experience was the previous night! What worked what didnt work. He went out of his way to kill issues before they were issues. Brian is the same way and your going to tell me they wont work with another track. You are making statements about people you dont even know!

Not running on Friday is an excuse it is not the problem otherwise years would not have went by prior to changing. Everyone will fine this out but of course it will be blames on the economy or something else that will be the problem when that day comes.

I have raced there alot more then you. I have sponsored the track and bought parking pads that I used 3 times. So dont come after me like I never have participated nor been part of their events. Our last visit we won $1000 bucks and going to the race we knew we had a chance to win. We decided if it happened we were going to leave half of it for the track but after our expected treatment, which was no surprise, we took it all and have never been back.

I dont have all the answers nobody does but I am not going to beat up the thoughts and ideas that others have. Maybe thats why very few post on here on what they think the real issues are.

Avoiding confrontation? Its simply answering questions and passing info along to the public? Its not rocket science and passing someones secrets along. Most questions that get unanswered by someone start making people second guess weather to waste their money or go elsewhere. Right or wrong if a spokesperson posted the wanted info then they dont appear to be hiding do they?

Btw you wont bring up Battleground because you dont know a damn thing about it! As a promoter I had no issues with running the show and doing it right! I wish I could say the same about the man in charge of the money. If you want his info and pick a fight with him let me know I can help you out there too!

Yep, this is a topic that needs discussing and we were doing pretty good there for a while, but the thread has taken a negative turn instead of staying focused on the issues.

I know that not everyone is happy with the way the LSS forums are moderated and that some do not post here because they are not free to take pot shots at others any time they feel the urge. And if that hurts the site or pisses people off, well, so be it.

I hate to go back through and remove the more obvious personal pot shots, but it's time...

Nick

So I guess I'm going to throw my .02 in now. I would race on a Tuesday night, so the night makes no difference to me. I was told at the Shootout, a big reason for the move was that when the heat races start, the stands are pretty bare but as the night goes on the fuller they get. From my POV, the stands had never looked fuller the last few weeks of racing and maybe the move will help those who can't get there until later be there at the beginning. So everyone can get on here and post about what a huge mistake it is, but if you dont race there or are not a spectator, why does it matter to you?? I wish I had as much free time as some you do......

Evidently saturday has been decided. I guess we can discuss about what time the races will start! What ever!! I believe that there are several things that should be done that need to be done asap. Class Rules for starts: Last year rules weren't posted until Feb or March, so how can you get a car put together in that time? After the season started there were more rule changes and then another later on. Most of the tracks have their rules already in place but not us. Once the rules are posted then they should be the rules all season. Whats good for one is good for all. These changes are expenses especially in this tight economy. Engine builders are already getting busy. If the rules aren't posted in a timely manner then they may build there car to someone elses rules and race there.

What is the season schedule? Need to know for planning work schedule. We post 3 months prior to taking off.

You need a good knowledgable Tech and accurate scales-- [edited by Nick Holt, 11/22/09] If you have a driver constantly winning, tech that car even harder.

Drivers meeting are too long--get the track packed--start races on time--cars are ready waiting at staging for next race but as several have stated cautions are to long--if dry erase board is used, write the cars numbers larger than 1 inch tall

No driver should be allowed to get in a race car under the influence. [edited by Nick Holt, 11/22/09] Drink Dr. Pepper like Reb

Car counts: This is a expense sport/hobby. Cars are constantly being torn up due to real rough driving and alot the time its the same ones week after week. The car count goes down because alot of drivers can't afford to kept putting their car back together each week. You have a black flag "use it". The ones that usually make every week are point chasers but that will probably change to. "MONEY" Its hard to keep a nice appearing car as the rules state being torn up each week. Cars being taken out on purpose because they aren't liked. The drivers expect that on any given night that they have a fair chance to win. If fact, the fans like to see different drivers win to.

[edited by Nick Holt, 11/22/09]

This is a two way street, You need drivers and we need a place to continue racing.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone, its my opinion, How about it. Lets go racing.

Unfortunately I think this boils down to a couple of things... #1 I think its safe to say you have had some axe to grind with the management of I-37 for quite awhile... (For whatever reason thats between you and them) #2 With the tracks running on the same night you believe its going to pull away a large amount of cars that otherwise would make the trip there to race for points and be there consistantly. I can understand that but I do believe that by switching to Sat. nights there are some things that are not taken into account... By switching to Sat. nights they are drawing from a larger pool of fans and possibly drivers that just are not able to make it on a Fri. night or don't want to go after a full day of work. Your every day racer will show up any-day I think that's a given but there are those that either couldn't make it or didnt want to spend the majority of the day working then get home at 1-2am in the morning...Also just in respect to the fans it kinda goes the same way... The die hards will come anytime hot cold whatever because they love it... I would also believe that by going to a Sat. sched. they will be able to start earlier I.E. 6:30-7 and end earlier...

Yes there are alot of things the track can do better race procedure-wise...Start on time... Shorter intermission... In my opinion they need to work on the scoring so they can get the order down to the front stretch quicker... Slow the field have multiple people directing the drivers to their spots not just one. Could also get something like a chalkboard and once its written down go green in 2 laps. If you are in an advanced position than where you should be you lose that many spots at the paywindow and points. If they cannot complete one lap double file on a start then go single file after one try... If you pull down to argue your position you go to the end of the line and lose your spot...If you are deemed the cause of more than two cautions during the main then you get the black flag. This may piss some people off but goto the all involved rule in classes where applicable (don't know if its allowed in the IMCA classes).

Im not really sure where the BS about catering to the asphalt drivers comes from but I personally made the switch because of a few reasons, better racing, and cost being the big ones...

The rules at all the tracks will prob never be close enough in the lower classes because the track owners would be crucified for costing the drivers more and more money to race... By that I mean it would cost you quite a bit to de-tune your car just as it would cost someone like me alot of money to get close to your rules... Just like you when I roll in somewhere I want to believe I have a chance to win. I just don't see that happening... Now if Goliad created a class that was more like my Pure Stock I would make that trip a few times...

Just my .02 .... Lol to think we have 3-4 months of this togo till we see how well it will work out... lol Wonder if this thread will last that long... :lol:

I'm going to leave this one alone. I as another track, wish in the future that all the local tracks may agree on rules, classes, etc....

I'm not going to voice an opinion on this matter as I think there are enough ideas already out there. I am happy to see all of you caring SOOO much about our sport that you are willing to go to battle for your beliefs.

Take Care All

Brian

I'll say it again you shouldnt be mad at a customer that compliants or brings an issue to you. At least you know who that customer is and you have a chance at fixing the problem. Its the customer that never says anything and goes shopping somewhere else because you dont know who they are nor why they left to start with!

I'll say it again you shouldnt be mad at a customer that compliants or brings an issue to you. At least you know who that customer is and you have a chance at fixing the problem. Its the customer that never says anything and goes shopping somewhere else because you dont know who they are nor why they left to start with!

Every promoter/owner I know has a phone and an email address and certainly can be found at the track every race night. If you want to complain, call the person. Email the person. Fax the person. Send him a telegram. Go face-to-face.

But Lone Star Speedzone is not here to provide a soap box for people wanting to bitch and complain. This is the stated policy of this site and will remain the policy of this site as long as I have a management role here.

Nick

the one track i hope I37 works with the most is corpus- i talk to alot of those guys and the main thing keeping them from racing her is the management of time on race night!also the imca rules for mods. who cares if u are sanctioned or not just adopt the same imca rules and enforce them minus claim/headers maybe. sat night racing will prob help to draw some corpus cars but must b on opposite night as them!

As a fan, I can shed some light on one reason the fan count is not higher. This is for Texas dirt tracks in general. There are three points which are pretty universally practiced and recognized, which, taken together, I believe actively drive fans away.

1. Fans have a limited time to spend at the races. They will start leaving around 9:30-9:45, and by 11:00 the majority of the fans will be heading home.

2. Fans have a preference for the faster classes.

3. Faster classes are usually run last. I don't know if this currently applies to I-37, but it is generally true across tracks.

Therefore, there is a good chance that the fan will not be able to see what he came to see. This isn't a formula for lots of repeat customers. Now, people within a close radius of the track are less susceptible to this, but how many people are within a close radius of I-37 (or any dirt track) in the first place? Very few. (Just coincidentally, it probably equates very closely to the normal weekly attendance).

And that is the problem. To get any attendance, you will have to draw fans from a farther distance. To draw fans from a farther distance, you have to provide the "drawing attraction", i.e. the faster cars. The fans from a farther distance have a narrower window to spectate in , because of that longer commute.

So when should you schedule the cars that are interesting enough to draw them to the track?

The answer is "When they want (and will be there) to see them."

The wrong answer - "At the end of the program".

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH A FEW ON THIS RULE THING I THINK DANIELSON AS WELL AS MANY OTHERS R IN IT TO MAKE THE TRACK OR TRACKS WORK ;) RIGHT NOW THE ECONOMY IS WINNING IN A LOT OF CASES :o IMCA IS A GOOD DEAL FOR SOME BUT NOT FOR OTHERS AS BRIAN AND I HAVE TALKED ABOUT :ph34r: IF A SET OF RULES R IN PLAY AND EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME PLAYING FIELD AND CAN AFFORD TO RUN THEM THEN THE CLASS WILL COME TOGETHER ONE THING THAT IS A BIG FACTOR IN MY CHOICE IS MY HEALTH AND MY FAMILYS FUTURE WE R IN A DANGEROUS SPORT IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO ME LIKE IT DID JIM :( I WOULD BE IN A BAD SPOT AS WOULD MY FAMILY AND THANK GOD JIM HAD SOME GREAT INSURANCE (WISE MAN ) :} BUT SOME CAN NOT AFFORD IT SO ALONG WITH A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD COMES UR HEALTH WITH IMCA YES SOME THINK I AM A BIG SUPPORTER OF IMCA I AM FOR THE REASON TO GET ALL ON A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD AND IF THE UNFORSEAN HAPPENS :blink: THIS IS A TOUGH DECISION TO DECIDE WHERE I AM GOING TO RACE AND HECK WHO KNOWS THE WAY THINGS R GOING I MAY NOT EVEN B THERE OR ANYWHERE THAT HAS RACING STAMPED ON IT LOL :0 AND AS FAR AS I-37 GOES THEY MADE THERE DECISION ON THERE OWN WE HAVE SOME GREAT TRACKS IN SOUTH TEXAS AS WELL AS SOME GREAT RACERS AND FRIENDS I HATE TO DIVIDE THEM JMO GREG

Its therapeutic to let it out. Yea some go to far and cross the line but its because we love doing what we do. Of course taking personal pot shots should be removed but general info about the good and bad is the only way things get resolved.

While you are correct in that venting is often therapeutic, this is not the place to vent about track owners/promoters. I do have, however, a masters degree in Experimental Psychology... maybe I should set up a bitch site and start charging by the hour!! LOL

But, seriously folks, I do not let other promoters get poked and I do not intend to let the I-37 folks get poked either. This thread was fine when the discussion was about issues rather than people. I'm for discussing issues. I'm not for negative discussions about folks who are trying to run Texas tracks/series.

That's just the way it is here on Lone Star Speedzone.

Nick

Danielson,you have really been thinking about this,it sounds like you want I37 to stay open. Thats great ! I like the idea of the first race being a benefit for the track as long as its still for points,as you say that helps get the track off on the right foot. As far as the track owners/operators driving,wasnt SOS owner driving at SOS. I dont really see a problem unless there is a problem in the tech area. We all know the track people are not getting rich,so unless you can drive and have fun too,whats the point in keeping the track open ? AND,you know how hard it would be to get 37,SOS and STS to sit together and work out dates and rules. I would LOVE to see that day but I can only imagine for now. We the drivers need to help advertise and get the word out also in the towns we live in. Most people in my area know nothing about dirt tracks just the drag strip in Sequin. Keep the ideas coming. I am sure some of the tracks are reading these. I HOPE !

Hi Freddy:

As a Touring class I think the dwarf car association brings its own officials. Could be wrong, but many of the touring classed do that. Hence it would be much less of a conflict-of-interest for a track owner to race in that class.

Don in Austin

Food for Thought. At Thunderhill all the drivers have scanners in the cars so when the caution is issued the track can relay the info to the drivers where to line up. I know from whatching several dirt races that lining back up after a caution is difficult for the drivers and the officials. Its also alittle safer on the track when a wreck happens to notify the drivers that the caution is out and to watch out for the wreck or a car in a certain turn. I know its one more expense to the drivers but its something to think about. Works pretty good at THR. Less caution laps are always a good thing.

Food for Thought. At Thunderhill all the drivers have scanners in the cars so when the caution is issued the track can relay the info to the drivers where to line up. I know from whatching several dirt races that lining back up after a caution is difficult for the drivers and the officials. Its also alittle safer on the track when a wreck happens to notify the drivers that the caution is out and to watch out for the wreck or a car in a certain turn. I know its one more expense to the drivers but its something to think about. Works pretty good at THR. Less caution laps are always a good thing.

100.00 at Radio Shack. I like the radios myself.

I don't really have any reason to say what's right from wrong as I'm still the new guy in late models. But I will say that in the army no matter who we liked or disliked the goal was to team up and make things happen or people died. Well its kinda the same thing. At some point we as drivers have to realize that we want to please the fans and try to be the best out there. But we have to put the one goal of all of us in front. Or the track will die or classes will die. My first yr racing and yes I didn't do all that well cause a new car is always a work in progress along with learning. And I saw things I didn't agree with and what have ya. but I still walked up to those I didn't agree with and spoke respectivly my mind and never had a problem. I think that no matter the situation or people involved those truely dedicated to the sport will somehow come together and set differences aside and focus on the trac for us, the fans, and sportsmanship between drivers. Fridays or saturdays, or what have you, its what we have to work with. This all can be done will constant communication and respect. I want a high car count because it means more to me to win or pass a lot of cars or get beat by a lot of cars than saying I'm rookie of the year only because 5 of us were there consistantly. I'm here to help any driver, any fan for our track. And a side not about advertising, we belong to a motorsports club and do functions often. We take our latemodel out and display it to attract fans and new people that want to know what its all about. From now on, I will send out on here a date of a function that we have so drivers can show off their toys. And yes, when the car is out a lot of people ask where we race and belive it or not, they have come up to me at the track and say" hey we saw your car at that car wash y'all had". So there is an avenue for those who would like to display their cars. Or you can email me at abhesler@gmail.com. let's make this happen for all of us. We support our track i37 fully. And with that said we need to have consistant rules before we have consistant car count I belive. Give this a chance before we give up on our dirt track.

Archived