markracer72

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
576276_10151132278434755_356096826_n.jpg

Mark, I recognize Bill White but I don't know the rest of those folks. :(

Hi Ya'll I think I know some of these folks so here goes

Looking at pic. top left David Smith Baytown Texas body shop owner, running buddy of Lynn Cox.

don't know next guy

Lynn Cox #13 stockcar Baytown Texas .Last time I talked to Lynn he was working for the Lone Star beer distributer

in Baytown on the loop 330.

Mc kinnsey maybe ?

Wayne Brown #15 stockcar

Roland Ayo modified

dont know

bottom row

ist guy dont know

John "POP" Davis car owner[ a treasure]

Billy Griswold & Roy Cody drove for him

Bill White Nuff Said !

Nolan Wren Wow cool guy clean racer

Jerry Aylor saw him the other day same Jerry health problems

OK Denny knows some of these folks to but I cannot remmber what he said

help us out Denny.

this is the picture from Oct 19 posting

danny5b

these pic's are courtesy of dana smith, daughter of the late red smith of moody and clary speedway in navasota, texas. you may know some of these drivers and promoter, my dad drove the # 6 mod. at moody and clary, in the pic's you will find drivers like billy griswold, jimmy mckennie, nolan wren, roy cody, bobby buffington, will goodrow, and more, the promoter was kenneth clary. i will have more to come, dana am inviting dana to come join us on this great historic site, i you guy's would please welcome her with graditude, thanls, del harris

post-3-1351909057.jpg

post-3-1351909063.jpg

post-3-1351909067.jpg

post-3-1351909072.jpg

post-3-1351909076.jpg

post-3-1351909081.jpg

post-3-1351909085.jpg

post-3-1351909091.jpg

post-3-1351909096.jpg

post-3-1351909103.jpg

post-3-1351909107.jpg

post-3-1351909113.jpg

post-3-1351909118.jpg

post-3-1351909123.jpg

post-3-1351909127.jpg

post-3-1351909131.jpg

H Ya'll again same perspective David Smith middle row Lynn Cox next to him

Hugh Shine TEXAS state senator & Moody Clary Photographer Red Smith Nolan Wren

That tall Skinney Fellow is don Brogdon Chevrolet dealer service Manager Hearn Tx

and car owner of # 7 that Frankie CARTER drove and Dirty Georges 17!!

Mr. Kenneth Clary owner Moody Clary Speedway is past away Last known Job Mayor of a small

town Some where not too far from Bedias

Billy griswold is top right and the rest of these folks I don,t know or forgot

P.S. tht wing on Red Smiths modified was the wing I ran on 5b I still have it and it will appear on

her when completed

5b Danny Wilson

H Ya'll again same perspective David Smith middle row Lynn Cox next to him Hugh Shine TEXAS state senator & Moody Clary Photographer Red Smith Nolan Wren

That tall Skinney Fellow is don Brogdon Chevrolet dealer service Manager Hearn Tx

and car owner of # 7 that Frankie CARTER drove and Dirty Georges 17!!

Mr. Kenneth Clary owner Moody Clary Speedway is past away Last known Job Mayor of a small

town Some where not too far from Bedias

Billy griswold is top right and the rest of these folks I don,t know or forgot

P.S. tht wing on Red Smiths modified was the wing I ran on 5b I still have it and it will appear on

her when completed

5b Danny Wilson

post-3-1359334085.jpg

On the group photo from 1969; Bottom row from left to right; Paul Schrivner, (fireman), Hugh Shine, James Starkey, Don Brogdon, Kenneth Clary and Paul Shiflet

Second row; Lynn Cox, Red Smith and not sure ( not Nolan )

Third row; David Smith, an attorney (name escapes me at the time ), Will Goodrow, Elmer Corcoran ( always misspelled Cochran ) and Billy Griswold. I may have Cox & Smith backwards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Buddy long time no see . No I have not seen or heard from Terry in many years.

The last was when his dad had past away struck by horse head at a well site they were reworking. and that had been several months past.

The last I know of his where a bouts was Beaumont . And something to do with a vacume truck bussiness.

You Know I bought well better said my wife and dad bought 5b in 1978 we raced her at Battleground for 2years .I tried to get Terry and Henry to come watch but never heard back.

I ran across Roy Harding A while back really enjoyed the time spent with him ,he looks good and lives off towards Dayton I think he said memory d' ont work all of the time. Keep in touch good to hear from ya

race on

5b

the Wandering Buffalo

DannyWilson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think you are mistaken. that red clay surface and the red fence post in the background look like moody & clary. Beaumont { china } had a black clay surface. the last time i was by there, several years ago, they had fiLLed the track and infield with water and made a crawfish farm of it.

Here a few pictures of me.

Hear I am in the car Jackie Woosely went over the wall in at Meyers. Bill White and I both drove it at Moody Clary.

I at Beaumont in it here.

post-3-1359521131.jpg

I think you are mistaken. that red clay surface and those red fence post in the background look like Moody & Clary. Beaumont {china } had a black clay surface. the last time i was by there several years ago, they had filled the track & infield with water and made a crawfish farm of it.

Hi Buddy long time no see . No I have not seen or heard from Terry in many years.

The last was when his dad had past away struck by horse head at a well site they were reworking. and that had been several months past.

The last I know of his where a bouts was Beaumont . And something to do with a vacume truck bussiness.

You Know I bought well better said my wife and dad bought 5b in 1978 we raced her at Battleground for 2years .I tried to get Terry and Henry to come watch but never heard back.

I ran across Roy Harding A while back really enjoyed the time spent with him ,he looks good and lives off towards Dayton I think he said memory d' ont work all of the time. Keep in touch good to hear from ya

race on

5b

the Wandering Buffalo

DannyWilson

Hi Danny. sorry i took so long to get back to you. this retirement keeps me pretty busy doing nothing. i didn"t know that you had bought the 5b car. glad that you did. all i have left of those days are a few pictures and a lot of memories. glad Roy Harling is doing good. he is a super nice guy. i never see any of the old racers other than my brother Elmer. before i retired i used to see James Starkey whenever i hauled a load into the Cleveland mill. he was the head maintenance man there .take care and we'll talk later. Buddy Corcoran.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Jimmy, I really loved the old 9 coupe at playland. I don't remember if it was in 58 or 59. Your dad won the track championship. That year, he won 13 feature races, 11 in a row. I saw everyone of them. He was a very personable man and one of the best drivers I have ever seen. RIP Billy......................

Thanks . Hey do I know you?

Jimmy, I doubt you would remember me. Been a lot of years. I talked with your dad and Johnny every week at the track. I would see your dad from time to time out in the Shepherd Dr. area. I worked out that way.

Do you remember the night he put that little black Ford coupe in the fence at Meyer? I was there. I also drove, owned and built the Bronco #8. Black 56 Ford. Your dad and Johnny gave me a lot of tips that helped me on that car. You can email or PM me if you like.

Jim Koehn

YOUR NAME DOES SOUND FAMILIAR. YES I THINK I WAS THERE TOO. I WENT OFF TO THE MARINE CORP IN 1966 AND MISSED A LOT. WAS THAT THE CAR KIRBY RAINER OWNED? WAS IT FORD OR MOPAR POWERED? I REMEMBER WHEN BILL FARRIS GOT KILLED AT MEYERS. THEY SAID HIS SEAT CAME LOOSE WHEN HE HIT THE WALL.

This is so awesome to see photo's of my Grandpa Elliott we only

Hey Jimmy G,

Your post above reminded me that CECIL ELLIOTT was your real Dad. My brother in law, Bill Breshears had told me that once but I had forgotten. My forgetter works better than my rememberer these days, LOL. Sometimers. I sometimes remember and sometimes not, LOL. Along with your Step Dad (Billy Griswold), Cecil was another of my idols at Playland Park when I was a coming up.

HELLO JOHNNY. CECIL WAS MY UNCLE. MY FATHER WAS PAUL JAMES. HE WAS KILLED IN A CAR WRECK ON HALLOWEEN 1947. I WAS 6 WEEKS OLD. BILLY MARRIED MY MOM WHEN I WAS ABOUT 2. NOT MANY ELLIOTTS OR GRISWOLDS LEFT. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE FORGETTER. LOL

THIS PIC IS BUDDY CHANEY, BILLY GRISWOLD AND CECIL ELLIOTT.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Thank you for sharing this is my grandpa Cecil Elliott so awesome to see photo's of him...

Griswold I would love to get in contact with you, I just found this site looking for photo's and information about my Grandpa Cecil Elliott, my mother was his eldest Daughter Cecila Ruth Elliott, whom we loss in 1996, she also had a sister Mary Virginia Elliott she is still living.... and I know my grandpa had another daughter from another marriage Mary Katherine Elliott after my grandpa and grandma divorced.... we only knew he raced and how he passed away... thanks everyone for sharing your stories of him... would love to get copies of all photo's and news paper clippings that anyone may be willing to share thanks so much for allowing me to join...

Thanks Jimmy, I really loved the old 9 coupe at playland. I don't remember if it was in 58 or 59. Your dad won the track championship. That year, he won 13 feature races, 11 in a row. I saw everyone of them. He was a very personable man and one of the best drivers I have ever seen. RIP Billy......................

Thanks . Hey do I know you?

Hi Griswold I would love to get in contact with you would love to hear stories and see more photo's of my grandpa Cecil Elliott you can message me if you would like... thank you so much love reading all these stories shared here about my grandpa

Archived