Moody Clary speedway in Navasota

markracer72

Here a few pictures of me.

Hear I am in the car Jackie Woosely went over the wall in at Meyers. Bill White and I both drove it at Moody Clary.

I at Beaumont in it here.

post-11993-1269130949.jpg

Here I'm resting behind Bill Breshears shop.

post-11993-1269131009.jpg

In the Midget I drove for Honest Al at Big-H

post-11993-1269131067.jpg

And finally taking the checkered in the #55 Limited Modified Sprint at Big-H

post-11993-1269131166.jpg

Johnny Rutherford autographed it for me when he did a Safety Meeting a few years back where I worked.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I just talked to Bill White and he told me it was Jackie Woosley that went over the wall with him at Myers.

How is Bill? Have you been to Temple to see him? I need to get myself up there for a visit. Hope he is doing well. I think Bill is about 83 now. One of the guys on here saw him at a track not long ago. I think Paul was racing up there.

He's doing good. He'll soon be 85. He had a knee replaced and that slowed him down a little but he still goes to the tracks to see his boys race. He went last night to HOT to see Keith race.

Here is what I've been doing for the last 15 years, racing on-line with friends from 4 countries at www.christianracing.com under the name GrandPaJmc. If I wreck I don't have to work all week to but it back together anymore, just hit a button on my computer and I have a new car.

post-11993-1269178328.jpg

post-11993-1269178295.jpg

post-11993-1269178269.jpg

And here I am leading the pack at the Taladega Short Track

post-11993-1269178365.jpg

That looks like fun! But I think you better tighten up those seat belts and put some racing gloves on, eh? Don't want you getting hurt out there...

Nick

Yes Nick it is fun and a good way for us OLD racers to feel like we still have a little of it left in us, especially on a night when we outrun the younger guys, LOL.

Nick the right screen gives the running positions real time and we can talk to each other while we race by pressing a button on our wheel. The left screen shows who's talking at any given time by a green light coming on next to there name. That adds even more to the fun.

I found it thanks to jakdad.

And here it is. That's a shame. It started out as a dirt track. After the races I would hot lap my new 55 Chevy till my Dad found out and put a stop to it. LOL. I was only 19 which was a minor back then. LOL again.

post-11993-1269227417.jpg

That looks like fun! But I think you better tighten up those seat belts and put some racing gloves on, eh? Don't want you getting hurt out there...

Nick

Hey Nick, If you look at some of the old pictures of Griswold and others from the 50's, they raced in short sleeve shirt, no gloves and football helments. LOL

I started out that way when I first started driving (in the 70's) but did have a modern helment and as soon as I could afford it got a fire suite and racing gloves.

Back in the 50's, all I recall wearing was a pair of "aviator goggles" from the Army Surplus store, a triple-thick bandanna around my nose and mouth and whatever I happened to be wearing at the time.

The seat was whatever came in the 30's or late 40's model cars we were in - aptly called "jalopies" - or something someone tried to make at the shop.

Seat belts? They were not mandated in passenger cars until the late 50's as I recall, but most of us had them in some form or other, although certainly not a harness system - just a simple seat belt. Seems to me that SAAB had a decent belt that could be used or maybe from a late 50's Ford.

Nick

Here is a few pictures of another Moody Clary Great Muriel Gallien in the Lazy 81 Super Modified.

post-3-1269537464.jpg

post-3-1269537471.jpg

post-3-1269537478.jpg

post-3-1269537483.jpg

post-3-1269537489.jpg

I have more pictures of Moody Clary, Almeda, Cleveland and Playland Park race tracks. I'll dig them out and get them on here.

Great pictures Racer81. Keep 'em coming. I remember those cars. I ran for a couple of years up there. I'm Johnny McClellan. Would you happen to have any pictures of me? I lost most of my pictures in the 1994 flood. :(

I don't remember the number of the 1st car I ran but later Bill White and I drove for Bill Breshears. I started out in the 55 and Bill in the 56. Then after a few weeks we switched and I drove the 56 and Bill White drove the 55 (until he flipped it, LOL).

This is the 55 car behind Bill Breshears' shop.

post-11993-1269653539.jpg

And here is the 56 car in the Moody Clary pits.

post-11993-1269653563.jpg

Paul Jett at Moody Clary in 1969. Driving Danny Burke built car. Car was built in 1962. Ronnie Burke is restoring the car. Go to Texas Open Wheel - Modifieds - Danny Burke track roadster - to see the restoration.

We had lunch with Paul & Caroline last week and he's doing fine.

Rodney

post-1408-1269654365.jpg

Here is a few pictures of another Moody Clary Great Muriel Gallien in the Lazy 81 Super Modified.

post-3-1269537464.jpg

post-3-1269537471.jpg

post-3-1269537478.jpg

post-3-1269537483.jpg

post-3-1269537489.jpg

I have more pictures of Moody Clary, Almeda, Cleveland and Playland Park race tracks. I'll dig them out and get them on here.

GREAT PIC'S. MURIEL IS A SUPER NICE GUY AND DAMN GOOD DRIVER. THATS OLD DANNY WILSON IN THE 5B. THERE WE A LOT OF GOOD DRIVERS. FRANK FAULBUSH? WILL GOODROW. FRANKIE CARTER, NOLAN WREN, AND ONE OF THE BEST AND STILL IS, HOWARD WILLIS. GOSH THERE WERE SO MANY. HEY JOHNNYMAC I THINK I REMEMBER GRISWOLD DRIVING THAT #55 TO VICTORY LANE IN LUFKIN ONE SUNDAY AFTERNOON IN THE 70'S. IT WAS A 50 OR 100 LAPPER.

Hey Jimmy,

I think you are right about your Dad (Billy Groswold) driving the 55 at Lufkin. I didn't go but I now remember Bill Breshears (my brother in law) telling me about it. A lot of different people drove that car over the years. It was one good dirt car. In my opinion it was a much batter on dirt than on asphalt. Could have been because of the Big Block Chevy they ran in it on asphalt. Just didn't handle that great at Meyers. Had they put a good Small Block Chevy in it (like they did for dirt) it may have been a much better asphalt car.

• 2 months later...

talked with red smiths daughter today and she has a bunch of moody and clary pic.'s, also talked to mr. moody's grand daughter, they are getting me some pic's and maybe a program and things together. i will post as soon as i have them, thanks, del harris

these pic's are courtesy of dana smith, daughter of the late red smith of moody and clary speedway in navasota, texas. you may know some of these drivers and promoter, my dad drove the # 6 mod. at moody and clary, in the pic's you will find drivers like billy griswold, jimmy mckennie, nolan wren, roy cody, bobby buffington, will goodrow, and more, the promoter was kenneth clary. i will have more to come, dana am inviting dana to come join us on this great historic site, i you guy's would please welcome her with graditude, thanls, del harris

post-3-1315887422.jpg

post-3-1315887426.jpg

post-3-1315887431.jpg

post-3-1315887439.jpg

post-3-1315887444.jpg

post-3-1315887448.jpg

post-3-1315887458.jpg

post-3-1315887464.jpg

post-3-1315887469.jpg

post-3-1315887474.jpg

post-3-1315887478.jpg

post-3-1315887483.jpg

post-3-1315887489.jpg

post-3-1315887497.jpg

post-3-1315887504.jpg

post-3-1315887511.jpg

Welcome Dana and thanks Del for posting....

Business first, if any of y'all have any extra brownie points with the Big Crew Chief Upstairs, share them with Nolan Wren. He's used up his nine live pretty much, with all his battles with cancer, and burning sprint cars, but he went in last week and had a five way bypass, he's home recovering now. He's sore as hell from the chest cracking, but seems to be doing good. Keep him in your thoughts. He tried to get me and Robert Jass to sneak him a 12 pack in the Hospital, but I'd rather face a grizzly bear in my bvd's, than his wife if she would have caught us. She's a sweet heart of a gal, but not much fun if you cross her.

And Billy Crockett is still struggling to get it all together after his shop and house burned to the ground in Bryan, but he is fine, just lost everything he owned except one sprint car and what tools he had in his truck. He's too proud (i.e. hard headed) to accept help, but he's gonna be fine, and plans to run his car, with his son Bruce driving at the ASCS race in Baytown on June 19th. Me and Robert will be there, with his daughter driving my Tiremax Sprint Car, got a fresh 360 in it and we plan to make a show of it.

Now these are really great pictures, I really love that last one showing the turn 3&4 sweeping banking. That was what they called progressive banking these days, that track has such a sweet cushion to it, you could just lay out and never lift, and be flying off the turn if you hit the setup just right. Man Texas lost one of it's best dirt tracks when Moody and Clary shut it's gates for the final time.

• 1 year later...
Welcome Dana and thanks Del for posting....

Business first, if any of y'all have any extra brownie points with the Big Crew Chief Upstairs, share them with Nolan Wren. He's used up his nine live pretty much, with all his battles with cancer, and burning sprint cars, but he went in last week and had a five way bypass, he's home recovering now. He's sore as hell from the chest cracking, but seems to be doing good. Keep him in your thoughts. He tried to get me and Robert Jass to sneak him a 12 pack in the Hospital, but I'd rather face a grizzly bear in my bvd's, than his wife if she would have caught us. She's a sweet heart of a gal, but not much fun if you cross her.

And Billy Crockett is still struggling to get it all together after his shop and house burned to the ground in Bryan, but he is fine, just lost everything he owned except one sprint car and what tools he had in his truck. He's too proud (i.e. hard headed) to accept help, but he's gonna be fine, and plans to run his car, with his son Bruce driving at the ASCS race in Baytown on June 19th. Me and Robert will be there, with his daughter driving my Tiremax Sprint Car, got a fresh 360 in it and we plan to make a show of it.

Now these are really great pictures, I really love that last one showing the turn 3&4 sweeping banking. That was what they called progressive banking these days, that track has such a sweet cushion to it, you could just lay out and never lift, and be flying off the turn if you hit the setup just right. Man Texas lost one of it's best dirt tracks when Moody and Clary shut it's gates for the final time.

First dirt track I ever saw Dad made me go said I still lived under his roof and ate his food

I was going to watch at least once!!! I said yes sir.

Grass was green coastal track was wet red clay sun was low man I can still smell it needles to say I fell in LUV so many memories

the wandering Buffalo

DAnny Wilson 5b

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived