100 lap feature

champ1796

• 7 years later...

I see Nick Holt is on . Can you help with this one? How far back do you go with Rick?

Not far enough. Rick took over the Ed Sczech ride sometime in the 80's. That's when we teamed up.

Nick

I can go back very far with Ricky Rapp. His first race car was a 1957 Chevrolet in which had began it's life as Steve Copelands car. My dad and Steve went into a partnership on the car and my dad eventually bought it from Steve. My dad ran the car as number 06 in turquoise and white. My dad sold the car to Ricky and it was then painted purple and white with the number 70 in gold. This was Rickys first race car. Ricky lived walking distance away from our house and he would hang out and, according to my dad, Ricky would get in the way of dad and his crew working on his race car. Dad ran Ricky off several times until Rickys dad came to visit. Mr. Rapp told my dad that ever since Ricky had been coming over to our house that his grades had been better in school and asked my dad if he would allow Ricky to help out, he told my dad that it might just keep Ricky out of trouble. My dad agreed and started giving Ricky specific things to do and would teach Ricky the do's and don'ts regarding suspension, engine building, etc. My dad also sold Ricky the 67 Chevelle that Ricky drove. My dad had driven that car previously and I have the pictures of my dad and crew building that car. My dad and Ricky remained close throughout their lives until my dad passed away February 26, 2016. I spoke to Ricky on the phone February 28th, and I made a promise to him. Ricky meant the world to our family and he came to Georgia to visit with us several times. Mr. Rapp gave me a ride in an old car that had a rumble seat, and as far as I know, that car is still in the Rapp family. I was only about 8 or 9 years old, so I can't tell you what kind of car that it was.

Yeah, I got word that day. I've been in constant contact with his sister Betty Ann. I had talked to Ricky on the phone about a week before he passed. He sounded so good and we laughed a lot. Ricky had a nickname for just about everyone, he always called me "Ronnie ruint" , he called my dad "Round man" and my mom "Brush"

• 4 months later...

I was somewhere in the stands dragracerkma . look at those stands full and still daylight bout $5 bucks to get in and open flame cooking going on behind the stands .. with inflation the cost to watch racing is still really cheap ...

Archived