100 lap feature

champ1796

Thinking back, I remember there being a 100 lap race held at the track sometime in the 70's. I believe they ran 50 laps and then allowed cars to pit, then ran the next 50 laps. If I remember correctly there were a bunch of cars, both local and out of towners. I am almost certain that James Mikulencak won the race and was bad fast. I believe he qualified first. I also remember Dub being in the race and early on didnt look to be that fast, to the point that he was close to being lapped. But he came on strong towards the end of the race and was running lap times comparable to the leader but dont remember where he finished. Any of you guys remember the race I am talking about? And if so, can you offer up more details than what I remember? I also seem to remember that both Dub and James were running the shorter wheelbase Camaros at the time. James in the blue number 1 and Dub in the purple 91.

They started spilting those 100 lappers about 1978 . I remember James winning 1 of those features. He more than like won more. But the one I remember he was on the pole, but he was not bad until the last 20 laps. He would mirrow drive you to make it look good for the fans. When it time he just took off!

james fliped his new 68 or so camero i believe . fixed it that night .and won the 100 .lap race ..now unless my old timer syndrum kick in .i wont be wrong ..this time ......i was at all those races back then ..to long ago and to many to put them together. memory come s back in little time pieces ...from what i remember .james built that car in secret .. noone was alould to see it .not even his family ..thats the story i heard back then and sticking to it ..lol ..

[coChamp Dubs driving was always as good as anyone. What changed was cars got a lot of new technology, and that mad things more exspensive. The cars he drove at the end of his driving days were still basic homemade. I got a Dub story for you you may even know it. Bill carlock used to let cars hotlap on Friday night, dubs throttle stuck . I dont remember which turn he was going into,but it totaled his 57 chevy. Saturday night about mid race awhite 56 or 55 Chevy rolls out pit gate with #4 on the side! No front fenders or hood, of course the crowd went wild! That was about 63 or 64 and I think he finished 2nd to Al Yoeman. On the side of the car was 24 HR. Special. Man that was some good s--t!

What has screwed up is blue camaro,James had blue camaro in the late 70s Flexie Flyer who only had about 3 colors ,so James took blue. The part about alot of out of town cars, that happened in the early 70s,also James would pace himself in those long races Ricky was wide open at the drop of the green!By the way Ricky won that race.

There is a 20x20 photo of that #1 camaro that looks to be gold in color at their shop(Ace Transmissions).How many of you remember the '79 season James had with the dark blue gold #1 camaro where he won 21 out of 22 feature races.Would of been 22 but motor blew while taking the white flag and made it all the way to turn three and with the tires being drenched with motor oil looped it and lost by that much.What a season.

Hello Terry Wasnt it 21 of 23 ? One night he broke a dist. shaft or rotor. As far as that season I dont think that will ever be topped! Let me tell you & you already know it wasnt all car .That guy was one of the best drivers of all time, not to mention one of the sharpest chassis minds ! Probaly one of best ever in Texas. But he had a family & business so he raced mostly at cc. I think if he come on like he did earlier ,we would be talking about James instead of Terry Labonte!

IN 1976 CC SPEEDWAY HOSTED A BIG RACE THAT JAMES M. WON IN THE BROWN CAMARO. I BELIEVE THAT FRANK HOCH NAMED IT THE BICENTENIAL 200. LOTS OF CARS CAME TO CC FOR THIS ONE FROM ALL OVER. RICK PLACED 2ND I BELIEVE IN THE OLE MICKEY MOUSE CHEVELLE.

INTERESTING NOTE: WORD HAS IT THAT AFTER THAT SEASON MR. M CUT THAT CAR UP INTO 5 OR 6 PIECES. ANOTHER RACER BOUGHT ALL THE PIECES AND WELDED IT BACK TOGETHER.... HENCE JAMES M. SOLD THE FIRST "KIT-CAR" EVER IN CC.

INTERESTING NOTE 2: RICK RACED THAT RACE WITH A WORN OUT MOTOR THAT USED OIL REGULARLY. I UNDERSTAND THAT HE RIGGED UP A 5 GALLON CAN OF OIL, ALONG WITH AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP, AND WHEN THE OIL PRESSURE STARTED FLUTTERING IN THE CORNERS HE WOULD SWITCH ON THE FUEL PUMP AND ADD ENOUGH OIL TO THE ENGINE TO COMPLETE THE RACE. IN THOSE DAYS, ALL THE CARS WOULD ALL STOP ON THE TRACK AT THE FINISH LINE AFTER THE RACES TO CELEBRATE. WORD HAS IT RICKY LEFT THE SWITCH ON AND FILLED THE MOTOR UP WITH OIL ON THE FRONT STRETCH.

IN 1976 CC SPEEDWAY HOSTED A BIG RACE THAT JAMES M. WON IN THE BROWN CAMARO. I BELIEVE THAT FRANK HOCH NAMED IT THE BICENTENIAL 200. LOTS OF CARS CAME TO CC FOR THIS ONE FROM ALL OVER. RICK PLACED 2ND I BELIEVE IN THE OLE MICKEY MOUSE CHEVELLE.

INTERESTING NOTE: WORD HAS IT THAT AFTER THAT SEASON MR. M CUT THAT CAR UP INTO 5 OR 6 PIECES. ANOTHER RACER BOUGHT ALL THE PIECES AND WELDED IT BACK TOGETHER.... HENCE JAMES M. SOLD THE FIRST "KIT-CAR" EVER IN CC.

INTERESTING NOTE 2: RICK RACED THAT RACE WITH A WORN OUT MOTOR THAT USED OIL REGULARLY. I UNDERSTAND THAT HE RIGGED UP A 5 GALLON CAN OF OIL, ALONG WITH AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP, AND WHEN THE OIL PRESSURE STARTED FLUTTERING IN THE CORNERS HE WOULD SWITCH ON THE FUEL PUMP AND ADD ENOUGH OIL TO THE ENGINE TO COMPLETE THE RACE. IN THOSE DAYS, ALL THE CARS WOULD ALL STOP ON THE TRACK AT THE FINISH LINE AFTER THE RACES TO CELEBRATE. WORD HAS IT RICKY LEFT THE SWITCH ON AND FILLED THE MOTOR UP WITH OIL ON THE FRONT STRETCH.

Now thats a story! And I believe this is the race I was thinking about. Cool!

i believe you are right ..i remember the 200 .just could not remember what year ...... james car was brown i think .....man this is so long ago ............... something else ..do you remember when billy hardcastle went flying over turn three and four wall ..throtle stuck from what i could hear from the pits hard hit and flew along ways ...... and later in years johnny white doing it in turn two ..both were heart stoppers ..rick went over in turn two .as some others aswell .

Mike, i remember some car taking down the wall coming out of turn 2. After cleaning up the mess they warned the drivers and went racing again. David Simpson drove his #48 straight through the hole.

I also remember very well my brother trying to keep up with Sonny Heinaman (John & Joey's dad). It was an austrailian pursuit and he didn't want to get passed. Going into 3 he ran it in too deep and climbed the wall slid down the corner on his side. There were china berry tree limbs in the right side of the car!

Mel

That would be a true story Mel. I am the one who bought that cut chassis. Glenn Taylor had it laying in field next to his house. He was gonna put it back togeather, but Glenn never liked to work that hard. When I found out what it was I said you wanna sell it and how much? $200.00 later a 22 year old kid had one hell of a hobby car project. The way it was cut made it fairly easy to square up & weld back togeather. It already had tubular upper a- frames , all pivot points were there . Being as ignorant as I was I did not realize untill we finished welding it togeather that it was probaly the first hobby car with 60% left side .We still had to add weight to be leagal. That car was ready for gas a lot sooner than anything I had. it would rotate in the corner so easily that I was kinda dumbfounded 1st time I drove it. We finished in points that year ,should have won it. But had big idea about installing drag race light weight wrist pins. Broke 3 of them & not on the same night. One before races even started! Thanks havent thought about that in a long time.

I think my cousin Mike Carlucci Jr. put that hole in the wall in turn 2.

I loved going to down to the front stretch after the races. Like you said, they used to park all the cars there after the last feature. In that group of cars packed together you could smell nothing but burning brakes and hot rubber!!!

Here is a picture of the Johnny White wreck over the turn 1 wall. My dad used to park right there on the hill. Johnny flew over my dad's head, landed in the pits and rolled onto Robert Ponce's trailer. That was a bad A$% wreck. I was sitting in the front row of the stands, and I had a clear view of that one. The wall launched Johnny, you could see his car just float over the wall, and as he went out of sight into the pits, all the lights went out!!! He took out the power lines on his way out. That was a trip!!

post-3-1256423624.jpg

my wife and robert told that storyto me a hundred times and every time robert told it to me i think the car flew a foot further each time lol

well foot shorter or longer would not have made johnny feel any better ..i was there with my wife .we both along with hundreds of other fans stop breathing at the moment ..i have to say i have seen many go over that wall .other than billy hardcastles longer and higher flight over turn three and four wall .this one was the worst one ...i just knew he landed on someone .....good thing for the rain that weekend .cuz he landed where our carwas parked the last weekend and probalby would have been parked there again ....to wet .good thing .....i remember hearing johnny say something to the fact ..did i hit or kill anyone ..once finding out he didnt ..said get me out ...that buick was fast ...

• 1 month later...

I remember that also. Ron Saddler ended up with that mess of twisted metal. He helped me build an outlaw mini with johnny's pile of debri. Don't know what happened to it after Outlaw Minis went away. I think Darrel Prosek ran it on dirt, but who knows after that. Some good old pics and memories.

I remember that also. Ron Saddler ended up with that mess of twisted metal. He helped me build an outlaw mini with johnny's pile of debri. Don't know what happened to it after Outlaw Minis went away. I think Darrel Prosek ran it on dirt, but who knows after that. Some good old pics and memories.

old darrel was something else .. ran into him up at mathis .. he works at the dam .... what outlaw was it ..number typ of car ..gb or i may know where it went ..

It was the #1 Fiero bodied outlaw mini VW powered 2180cc stroker. the fastest time I remember was a 14.6 by David Evans in a pinto. We actually took second in a 40 lap shootout. I also remember that Bruce Sanders took the 100 lap latemodel shootout in his dirt car. He finished half a lap ahead of second place (Terry Labonte). Eric Wison won the only outlaw championship there was. Time flies so fast it just seems like it was yesteday, but is a blur in my memory. I would like to see 4 cylinders progress some day again. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

It was the #1 Fiero bodied outlaw mini VW powered 2180cc stroker. the fastest time I remember was a 14.6 by David Evans in a pinto. We actually took second in a 40 lap shootout. I also remember that Bruce Sanders took the 100 lap latemodel shootout in his dirt car. He finished half a lap ahead of second place (Terry Labonte). Eric Wison won the only outlaw championship there was. Time flies so fast it just seems like it was yesteday, but is a blur in my memory. I would like to see 4 cylinders progress some day again. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

yeh i remember your car ...dont know what happend to it ....after the outlaws were outlawed . pops carpenter bought davids old car and some motor parts ..we rebuilt that old car of his into the purple 45 minnie in 1990 ..that car ran a few years at cc and around the state ..... turned out to be a good car .... the car is stlill here in cc i think ...... my thought is lalo still has the big mama head .....or parts of it ................... miss old david . he was a great guy to be around ...

Archived