CC Speedway Hall of Fame

ThomasCox

if you were to start a hall of fame of ccspeedway you would have to go way back and start with the people who made this track what it is.there is so many people to mention that it would take for ever to go though all of them.the first person i would mention would be bill carlock if not for him cc speedway would never of been the historical track it is today.then came racers like freedy barnic who i as a kid of six years old would wear a t-shirt with the number 99 on it.the there was the number 4,dub rollins who would be freddies strongest competition and would almost bet by the end of the night you would see a fight break out.the other fighters included nook salge,bill garrnet,bruce sholders,billy razisky,ronnie miller,mike flanigan donnie yoakom and so many more.dick lunstrom own the track,but put frank hoch in charge to make the track a better place to race.,and that he did.even though me and frank didnt see eye to eye most of the time it took after he was gone to realize how important he was to cc speedway.while frank was there the next greneration of drivers came along,rick rapp,slick yoemans,bruce sanders,jerry edwards,neal flanagan,danny flanagan,pat flanagan,billy hardcastal,jarret rollins,terry labonte.theres so much history at that track that it is so hard to remember all the great drivers that have made cc speedway what it is today.but just think of all the people on the outside of drivers that keep the track going.walter shoemaker who would show up while it was still raining on a friday afternoon to pump water off the track in hopes that we would still be able to race.bob jonhson who almost gave his life to do his part to keep cc speedway going.thanks to frank hoch,greg godfrey,owen pittman,mike and mitzy,and dan for keeping the track going.then theres beddoe,heflin,sinnard,smith,hienaman,barber,greg sr,greg jr,bill stevens ,dan monroe,and so many great drivers that it was just a pleasure to be part of it.and of course you cant leave out donny and carol,for if not for them that place would of been a heb parking lot years ago.after donnie passed carol still continues to do her part to keep the track going.i know i left a lot of people out,but there are so many in the hisrory of the track that it is so hard to remember everybody.good luck on the hall of fame.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember Sonny Brown & Bill Garnett wrecking togeather in turn 4 then fighting on the apron with the race still going on. In 1959 my dad took me to the end of the year championship race. He was sponsoring a car driven by Red Daniels. It was 100 laps. They were lined up from the pit gate all the way to turn 2. Red won that race. My brother has the trophy. My dad was hooked & built his own car in 1960. Bill Carlock was the promoter. At that time they paid a percentage of the gate. The racers thought they were getting shorted so Smitty took a picture of the full grandstands blew it up and counted every paying adult. I dont remember the results!

i remember that story of the fan count ....i dont rememberthe results either ......

I have been thinking about this and boy does it bring up memories. Maybe instead of a Hall of Fame, what about The Hall of History. I think it might be easier to list Everyone that has been involved throughout the history at CC Speedway. Think about it, every single drive listed so far has been a hero to someone at one point in time and deserves to be named and there are some that haven't been named, even Oldtimer! So if it is formatted as history I think more people can be acknowledge that have been so instrumental in CC's history. There will be some people brought up more that once depending on their role there.

I don't know just an idea.

Happy Birthday Dad!!!

I totally agree with rattdaddy,CC Speedway more than any other track in the USA should have a museum.I dont think there are many places as old as this one.It has touched many familys in Corpus for generations.Im sure it would not take long to fill it with memories.I think its such a part of CC that prehaps the historical preservation branch of the city should help with this progect.Wouldnt that be something,a living museum?

The names I have listed or mentioned at one time or another were not intended to be suggestions of persons who should be a lock by any means. I just dont want anyone to be forgotten. There have been many great people involved at CC Speedway over the years. I have liked the Hall of Fame idea from day one. History, Fame, whatever you want to call it, I think its great. As this thread grows, names that I had forgotten about keep popping up. The memories.....

As this thread grows, names that I had forgotten about keep popping up. The memories.....

Aside from getting suggestions for the Hall, this was the underlying reason I started this thread. For personal reflection of everyone that has been involved with the track, and for my personal research into the history of the track through your memories. That is the best way to get information, in my opinion.

CC Speedway has had a certain effect on me ever since I stepped foot onto the track for the first time. Just being there makes me want to know everything about her, and makes me want to be a valuable person of her staff. I promise everyone here that I will never give up on continuing the legacy of CC Speedway, no matter what it takes personally from me.

And I never go back on a promise.

Now I think your on to something! A history ofCC ,there could be no disagreement of who belongs! If you stick around long enough you will be in it. A donation of pictures could start that ball rolling. If you want to be a part of it show me what you got ,no selecting,low matinenance, and pictures of old race cars and drivers is always fun!

I have been at CC since I was in diapers. My parents snuck beer in the front gate in my diaper bag!! LOL 34 years, and I have many memories on and off of that track. Hall of History would be cool. A site where people could tell seperate stories about their experiences at CC would be neat. I would like to tell and hear some of the stories that are out there. A Hall of Fame would be cool, also. It would need some strict guidelines. For example: # of years racing at CC, # of Championships, Contributions to CC, Memorable Events, Etc. I think it is a good thing that people are so interested in something like this and remembering CC's past.

.. rat you have my vote ..one on getting your deseverd notice .the other .history ......i for one would not have my feelings hurt by not haveing my name on anything ...i have helped poeple all my life ... from the early 60.s sitting in the stands with my family ..to the early 70.s stamping pit passes on rick .slick .crazy . dub all others along with putting holes in terrys shirts ... to the 80.s with helping driggers with his cars .helping pops with his car .and driveing in the later years .... to building car after car to rebuild the thunder class in 89 and 90 ...to helping lalo .to helping jessie in the2000.s .and now my son will be racen .....and all this time my reward has been just haveing fun .doing something thats in my blood ..this sickness that cant be cured .....

I have been at CC since I was in diapers. My parents snuck beer in the front gate in my diaper bag!! LOL 34 years, and I have many memories on and off of that track. Hall of History would be cool. A site where people could tell seperate stories about their experiences at CC would be neat. I would like to tell and hear some of the stories that are out there. A Hall of Fame would be cool, also. It would need some strict guidelines. For example: # of years racing at CC, # of Championships, Contributions to CC, Memorable Events, Etc. I think it is a good thing that people are so interested in something like this and remembering CC's past.

I do like the Hall of History idea and think that would include alot of folks that might not make the Hall of Fame. I also like the Hall of Fame idea and agree that there should be certain criteria involved, whatever it might be. Number of years raced and championships would be huge. Example being: you have to give the edge at least initially to guys like Dub Rollins and Freddy Barnec over Terry Labonte as drivers. While Terry went on to be the best known driver from the track and also two time champion. He didnt race at the track nearly as many years as the former drivers mentioned. Tough call as to who belongs and who doesnt but I agree with a certain criteria being involved. Start with the pioneers and work your way up from there. 65 years of history to consider so I still believe the initial class should consist of more people overall. Overall a good thing no matter what ends up happening, because the History of this great little 1/4 mile asphalt bullring is important in so many peoples eyes. Mine included

I think if you really stop and think about a Hall of Fame. Who is going too be the moderator, who is paying ,who is on the selection panel,can it really be a long term idea, I tell you it would be a lot of work ! But a Hall of the History,you could copy old pics on the computer, no one would have to select, it would be very easy to care for. I went too the racer reunion that Jim Baldwin put on acouple years back, there were thousands of pictures, Pat Johnson hah a bunch,I forgot to mention Pat Dolan, hr was there with some unreal photos. It would be a lot easier and no one could be left out!

OK, is there anyone out there that can or want to contribute time into this project? As Thomas stated earlier in the post he would like to get several drivers, fans and so forth to form a Committee to kind of over see this. This is a worthy and important part of CC Speedway and by the posts it looks like everyone has something to contribute, but it needs to be organized and the more people we get to help the easier it will be to get it done.

Thanks in advance.........

Something that has come to me is that too really get the facts you need to get people of that era to relive some of their memories. Find some of the drivers from the fifties and sixties and seventies to be a part of a selction commitee. Then you have a first hand account of the happenings of that era. This may not always be possible for the 40's and 50's. But there are a lot of second and third generation drivers that were there when these thing happened. My first visit to C.C. Speedway was in 64 as a 3 year old. My memories of the racing starts around 66 or 67. You also need to get names of pit crew members of drivers to be inducted so that the whole story is told. Jusy my 2 cents.

Mark Shurbet

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree with rattdaddy,CC Speedway more than any other track in the USA should have a museum.I dont think there are many places as old as this one.It has touched many familys in Corpus for generations.Im sure it would not take long to fill it with memories.I think its such a part of CC that prehaps the historical preservation branch of the city should help with this progect.Wouldnt that be something,a living museum?

:ph34r: You know you're old when you can remember Greg Sr bringing Greg Jr. to the track when he was just 9 weeks old to show him off. Look at all the championships between the 2 of them. Hope to see Ryan out there some day to do the same thing. WOW, were those ever the days.

And as listed in the first OUTLAW84, I can still remember all those 50 and 60 model cars out there like Jack Spencer and Fred Wells. Those were some pretty tuff old Navy guys racing back in those days. Early 70's I believe! OT, any comments on them days? :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
Let's not forget Ken Cessna and Willie Shoemaker also

miss old willie... ken cessna still works at the court house .. man has alot of energy i dont no how old he is /but has us all beat in that catagory ....90 maybe ....when i get called in for jury duty he is the first person i look up .. he and i always talk aboult racen .makes him smile ..and even at his age .he hasnt forgot many things ...come to think of it .he wouild be a good source of history infow .....for those that dont know kin ..he is the elder man who sits you where you need to be .... next time your called in .say hello and tell him where you race ....i know he gets a kick out of talking racen ..i maybe wrong but he announced at cc for 15 plus years ..

• 6 months later...

im a little late to reply but back in 74 my dad built a Mercury Comet with a big block destroked 427 and told everbody it was a 390 in the stocker class, my mom didnt want him driving it so he got a already known driver LEVI TAYLOR, and won a bunch of races with it, then in 76 built a Mustang with a 289 and had a different combination in it every other week, it was a hobby car but the motor in it should have been in the super stock class and even had nitrous oxide in it for one nite, won every feature but 2 that year and the championship in hobby class, in 77 Levi was diagnosed with cancer and always wanted to race in Bryan TX so my dad bought a car from Terry Labonte took it to TWS blew the good motor cuz of cheap dilluted race gas and built a cheap back up motor and finished 2nd in the big race that weekend, they took the car to Austin or SA and going for the checkard flag the rear end broke and came out under the car and flipped and took out some poles with that car, that was Levis last race and died shortly afterwards of cancer, Levi was considered to be as good if not better than Slick Y. or Rick R. He was an contractor for Whataburger and his parents owned Gulfway moble home park, he died at 33 yrs, his car #30, and remember he also had a white 55 chevy he ran somtimes i remember it cuz i got my foot ran over with it when i was a kid, his name was on the back stretch wall for a number of years, i need to learn how to scan some photos to put on my computer to post on here, my dad has a lot of stories he could tell but getting him to talk about them is slow process, sorry this took so long

Thanks for posting this stuff.

I have a pic of Levi's car upside down, and it happened at Hwy 16. It made the cover of the April 21, 1978 Pit Stop program at Hwy 16 (SAS).

Click this link: Hwy 16

It will take you to a thread I started a couple years ago. On the first page, scroll down to post # 19, then #21.

Now a question--You mentioned that your Dad got a car from Labonte that Levi Taylor flipped; Was the car that Levi flipped the same car (maybe rebuilt) that Slick drove to the 79 Championship at Hwy 16?

These last 2 post were really great, i didnt know the photo of the car laying on its top exsisted, i see my dad standing at the rear of the car with his arm at his side lol. i remember that next day at the shop after the wreck it was tore up real bad and Levi was saying he was pretty sore, i remember trying to compound the 44 off that car and right after the #30 was painted on it my dad said to stay away from it and let it dry and the 1st thing i did was lean against it but know 1 knew lol.ill have to ask my dad if that was the same car that Slick drove, i know my dad said him and Tom Riley bought a car from Freddy Fryar but i think it was the red white and blue Camaro with the Prototype motor that Tom and Monty got into it and totaled the car on the 2nd or 3rd night out. I need to get my dad to get on here or someone needs to interview him and get a ton of info from him. The Mustang was a great photo too as i dont have any photos of it, GulfWay Motors is now Oasis motors the sponsor on the car, i remember my dad saying they removed the lr spring to see how it handled cuz it had so much lead in the lr and it ran good and tried everything they could to make it push and it wouldnt, i told him it was probably cuz it had a diff in the rear not a spool lol.

Didn't Walter the flagman ride wheelies on a bicycle down the front strech during intermission. If anyone has a picture of that, It should be in the hall for sure.

forgot that one ...lol ..walter thought he was good til my brother and i went all the way around the track on wheelies ....tried to teach him how to balance the bike . didnt happen ofcourse ...sure miss him and his brother ..miss that old train of his at the parades and sometimes he would bring out to the track ...work of art to say the least ....every year when they put the star on the water front xmas tree .i always think of him ..they named it after him ...... he loved scratch off tickets ...he and i would brag on who won the most ..darn he always seemed to out do me ..he had more money to spend than i on em .. he was always hitting fiftys .... lady two houses down from him use to keep my son during the day ..went over to see him aboult a week or so before he passed ...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Drivers Dale Gingrich and Monty Nichols need to be added to the drivers list.

Al and Slick Yeomans were father and son.

Pat, Dale and Neal Flanagan should also be added

Henry Perry as well

Jarrett Rollins, Dubs son

David Horton, mini stock champ I think more than once

Jerry Edwards

Sammy Holland

Bruce Sanders

Wayne Norrell

Mike Denman

Johnny Unitas

Charlie Heflin

David Lehnert

John and Scott Sullivan

Rick, Jim Baldwin

Wayne Norrell

Nook Salge

Johnny Unitas??? He doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. Come on, some of you guys are just stuck in the good ole days syndrome. Johnny Unitas, did he ever win a race? He's not in the same league as Terry Labonte. And how much did Rick Baldwin (RIP) win???

Drivers Dale Gingrich and Monty Nichols need to be added to the drivers list.

Al and Slick Yeomans were father and son.

Pat, Dale and Neal Flanagan should also be added

Henry Perry as well

Jarrett Rollins, Dubs son

David Horton, mini stock champ I think more than once

Jerry Edwards

Sammy Holland

Bruce Sanders

Wayne Norrell

Mike Denman

Johnny Unitas

Charlie Heflin

David Lehnert

John and Scott Sullivan

Rick, Jim Baldwin

Wayne Norrell

Nook Salge

Johnny Unitas??? He doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. Come on, some of you guys are just stuck in the good ole days syndrome. Johnny Unitas, did he ever win a race? He's not in the same league as Terry Labonte. And how much did Rick Baldwin (RIP) win???

just alittle narrow minded . ole days sydrome .... ... fact to make it into any hall of fame it takes time to earn a spot . i dont ever recall hearing aboult anyone makeing it into the hall of fame for just showing up one day and saying here i am .. . another thing .this isnt just aboult how many races someone has won ...there are many poeple out there with many years behind the seen who contribute so much time alot of it thankless should get a chance .....look at jimmy the fireman ..he has been a life savior for more years than i can remember .. he has worked hard at and on that track ,,,,noone thought of him .unless i missed it in some other post ... some of the score keepers spent many years up in the booth ,,they should be included ....heck they have not ever been in a racecar .....if you decide on someone for how many races they won .thats your choice . i am alittle more open minded ....anyone who has contributed .to this sport in more ways than just being behind the wheel . should get the same respect....

Archived