CC Speedway Hall of Fame

ThomasCox

I don't think you can go without mentioning one of my dad's best friends, Frank Hoch. Dad said the other racers used to call him "Swivel Neck".... supposedly he would look you in the eyes when you were behind him.

Mel

well you didnt stand up close to frank ..he could not say a word with out moveing his head or arms ....i loved it when he was worried aboult the front fence.. it had to be razed up 4 feet the year after richard petty roled the fence ...he kept telling me he wasnt going to open that year .becuz he didint have time to tear it all down and start over .i leaned over and told him why tear it down .just add to it ...he went silent .. we took off to the tipps to have lunch... and as i listen to him talking to i think dan monroe and another .he said i have this great ideal .ill just add to it .what do yah think ..... i told him great ideal ..see thats how you worked old frank .tell him something and let him have the credit ....miss that old cowboy .......................................mel i throw in a vote for sexy grandpal... your dad was one heck of a man ..

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for my error in regards to Mr. Carlock. Here is an induction idea for you.For the first inductees take one from each decade of operation from a list of say 5 from each decade.That way all the history of the track will be represented in the Hall.

THATS A GREAT IDEAL .

The sad part is that in a drivers meeting today, half of the drivers wouldn't have a clue who most of these people who were mentioned are. I definetely agree with the lists that have been put together. I really believe that you should start back closer to the beginning and then maybe these newer people will learn the history that is CC Speedway. JMO

The sad part is that in a drivers meeting today, half of the drivers wouldn't have a clue who most of these people who were mentioned are. I definetely agree with the lists that have been put together. I really believe that you should start back closer to the beginning and then maybe these newer people will learn the history that is CC Speedway. JMO

That is my thought as well

• 1 month later...

After some thought, I feel that whomever drew the track on paper, dirt, or sand with a finger or whatever, then made it happen, should be the first person inducted. That person was the base of the foundation of CC Speedway. Everyone else followed. That initial dream is what gave us what we have today. Would that be Carlock? Either way, it should be a lock with others to follow based on vote or whatever. JMO

After some thought, I feel that whomever drew the track on paper, dirt, or sand with a finger or whatever, then made it happen, should be the first person inducted. That person was the base of the foundation of CC Speedway. Everyone else followed. That initial dream is what gave us what we have today. Would that be Carlock? Either way, it should be a lock with others to follow based on vote or whatever. JMO

That seems to be the consensus, that Bill Carlock be inducted with the first class. It's up to the people involved with the committee to ultimately make that decision, but I think whomever you ask would tell you that same fact.

Here's just a running list of who's been suggested here on Speedzone and just talking with different people so far, listed in alphabetical order by category. If anyone has any other suggestions, please keep it going.

DRIVERS

Chuck Barber

Freddy Barnec

Bruce Beddoe

Greg Carlucci, Jr.

Greg Carlucci, Sr.

Frank Carpenter

GB Carter

Harold Cope

Mike Flanagan

Billy Hardcastle

Kevin Harms

Joey Heineman

John Heineman

Terry Labonte

Lalo Leal

Mike McCain

James Mikulencak

Dan Monroe

Rick Rapp

Will Robertson

Dub Rollins

Shorty Rollins

Billy Joe Ruziska

Jesse Sandoval, Sr.

Larry Smith

John Henry Witzche

Tommy Wynd

Al "Slick" Yeomans

Don Yocum

TRACK OWNERS AND PROMOTERS

Bill Carlock

Frank Hoch

Dick Lundstrom

Dan and Kandy Monroe

Don and Carol Yocum

STAFF MEMBERS

Kevin Dooley

Bob Johnson

Freddy & Jeannie Maljik

Walter Shoemaker

Johnny Skinner

i think there is a mistake on this page dan monroe name is under wrong sub title

no his name is under the right sub titles.Dan was a driver for many years and now is the track owner.

Drivers Dale Gingrich and Monty Nichols need to be added to the drivers list.

Al and Slick Yeomans were father and son.

Pat, Dale and Neal Flanagan should also be added

Henry Perry as well

Jarrett Rollins, Dubs son

David Horton, mini stock champ I think more than once

Jerry Edwards

Sammy Holland

Bruce Sanders

Wayne Norrell

Mike Denman

Johnny Unitas

Charlie Heflin

David Lehnert

John and Scott Sullivan

Rick, Jim Baldwin

Wayne Norrell

Nook Salge

Drivers Dale Gingrich and Monty Nichols need to be added to the drivers list.

Al and Slick Yeomans were father and son.

Pat, Dale and Neal Flanagan should also be added

Henry Perry as well

Jarrett Rollins, Dubs son

David Horton, mini stock champ I think more than once

Jerry Edwards

Sammy Holland

Bruce Sanders

Wayne Norrell

Mike Denman

Johnny Unitas

Charlie Heflin

David Lehnert

John and Scott Sullivan

Rick, Jim Baldwin

Wayne Norrell

Nook Salge

I thought I knew what a "Hall of Fame" was but after reading this list of nominees I'm just confused. There are names listed that are good freinds of mine but shouldn't even be considered for this at this time. Maybe in 10 years but not yet. It's obvious that alot of people making the suggestions don't know the history of this race track.

Champ I agree with a lot of the list you posted. But that is your time era. I think we have to go farther back to get the pioneers. My era was from 1959, my first race to watch at go cc speedway. I have got to tell you it was when men were men! Lots of rubbin and fighting. I was 7 years old. It left a lasting impression on me that I still enjoy thinking about now. There are still about 10 years of racing before i came along so I dont have the complete drivers list. But hears what I do remember.

Al Yoemans,Dub Rollins,Jimmy Lankford,Webb Wilbur,Gene Everett,Nook Salge,AD Sparks,Freddie B,Dave Ingram,Bill Garnett,Mike Flanagan,Monte Sr,Bruce Schlors,Ernest Spence,Ronnie Miller,Johnny Rollins,Bob miller Bill Carlock,Billy Ruzicka,Fred Brown,Wiley Sanders,Sonny Brown Eddie Harrow,Smitty,Don Yocum,Henry Majefski,Frank Hoch,Bob killouh, Bob labonte,Jesse Hernandez, these were from 1959 until about 1968 then came James Mikulencak,Rick Rapp,Tom Riley,Jarret Rlooins, Pat Flanagan,Neal, Danny Flanagan,Billy Hardcastle,Rick Baldwin,Crazy James Thompson,Jerry Edwards, Sonny Heinaman,Terry Labonte,Bruce Sanders,Frankie Majek, Ronnie Whitmire,Gerald Nix, Jimmy Kraut,Law Mikulencak,Loyld Turner, Tommy Jones, there are more but way too many to remember all. I hate leaving anyone out . I quit goning out to cc in 1982 .I started going to Riverside but we grew up there and i still smile when I think of those days!

imcafan I am from the same era and remember all those names.One thing all these names that have been posted show there were some darn good race drivers that have graced C.C. Speedway. We old guys have been blessed to witness those guys race.

i have to agree with both of you ...now i have seen those names it brings them back ....... these are the poeple im talking aboult ..i remember the fights ..along with good racen ....saterday night at the fights and a race broke out sometimes ........ and you youger folks ..the drivers didnt wait till the race was over and were all back in the pits ...heck they threw punches right under the flag stand ..there wasnt any ill get you later ..

I remember Sonny Brown & Bill Garnett wrecking togeather in turn 4 then fighting on the apron with the race still going on. In 1959 my dad took me to the end of the year championship race. He was sponsoring a car driven by Red Daniels. It was 100 laps. They were lined up from the pit gate all the way to turn 2. Red won that race. My brother has the trophy. My dad was hooked & built his own car in 1960. Bill Carlock was the promoter. At that time they paid a percentage of the gate. The racers thought they were getting shorted so Smitty took a picture of the full grandstands blew it up and counted every paying adult. I dont remember the results!

Archived