Drivers From Big H

LINDAlou1001

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does any one know what happen to jim chapman that raced latemodels at big h i know he did some sheet metal work on cars has any one seen him lately

JIM HAS A SHOP ON 330 IN BAYTOWN . I BELIVE HE SPONSORS PAUL WHITE IN A MOD. & LIMT.MOD, OVER AT TEXANA AND SOME BIG RACES IN HOUSTON .

thanks for the quote on jim 324 i was working on phil cronins latemodel he ran at big h jim replaced the sheet metal on phils car one year phil lead the latemodel feature from start to finish one night the trak was real slick that race the only groove was on the bottom jim ran second the hole time he could have knocked phil out of the groove if he wanted too but thats not the way he raced i had a lot of respect for jim has a clean driver glad to hear hes doing good

• 1 month later...
All this talk about Houston Drivers from back in the 80's and nobody mentioned Aylor? WOW! Love him or hate him, he was darn fast and had great equiptment. Over the past year I have ran into him a few times, while he may not be behind the wheel, he is still heavily involved in racing!

Glad to here somebody mention Jerry I had heard that he was in prison!! Glad to hear that wasnt true. He did have some fast cars or maybe it was just him that was fast. One thing I do know he would put a knot on your head in a second if he felt you done him wrong.

I just saw him about 3 weeks ago so. Time has caught up a bit with him, but he is still kicking for sure. He is one of a kind for sure!

Saw Jerry a few years back at Big H his blood pressure was so high he looked like a thermometer,no way he should have been in a car, but if you know Jerry you know how stubborn he can be so he strapped in & won the race. I would have probably had a heart attack

• 3 weeks later...
what happen to wayne brown who ran latemodels and stock cars at big h

Waye graduated to driving sprint cars, and then eventually he let people drive his sprints for him. He then built and ran Hot Rod Hill Motorpark in Bryan, which was eventually shut down because of noise complaints from neighbors. The last I heard his wife was in very poor health and he was trying to work from home to take care of her. Not sure of anything after that (last four or five years).

(Most of this is what I have read on this board, others surely know more.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's true about the older W. BROWN , Not sure about the younger W. BROWN , Both ran sprints at BIG H . You can still see JERRY AYLOR from time to time helpping race in the pitt's ( B.G. ) . I belive ED T. pass about 3 or so year,s back - not 100% no that .

If anyone knows the where-a-bouts of champkrt's mind.......PLEASE pm him with it's location. :P:lol:

Eddie, I was around Houston tracks from 84 when I moved down to Texas....both Big H and Battleground and I don't recall either track having a clown at all. Of course back in those in those days I was still drinking(heavily) and self-medicating. :blink:

THE LAST YEAR BIG-H WAS DIRT THAY DID HAVE 2 CLOWN'S. BROTHERS , TODD & ANDY .

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dean Lyons in the #9. Tommy Stanley drove red and yellow #24. Im pretty sure the car in the middle is Jerry Aylor.

Yep, #9 was Dean. I realized my mistake as soon as I left the house! The car in the middle was probably an ex-Aylor Monte Carlo. Seems like it was one of his buddies from the Beaumont area, who had a salvage yard, maybe Charles something?

• 3 weeks later...

The first photo, from left to right, the great, late Chris Duoto, David McKinney (me!), and my father/car owner John McKinney. The second photo is me and Wayne Brown the engine builder, not the Sprint Car driver, at Big H. This Wayne did drive a Sprinter a few times if I remember correctly.

post-3-1342824854.jpg

post-3-1342824869.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I remember Jerry Ayler at a quarter mile dirt track called Texas Motor Speedway on 35 between Alvin and Angleton...Track name changed to Texas Thunder Speedway. Ayler was very good in his camaro....

I only remember Ayler coming to Alvin track once or twice. And I dont believe he ran a camaro when he came. Ayler was at Battleground last weekend, but not racing. I ran a camaro at the Alvin track for a few years.

Sonny Hammond

The Crazy Cajun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived