Texas Thunder Speedway 7/11/09

I'll get stories written later today

Kimberly Bridenstine, Allstate Agency night at the races, Texas Thunder Speedway 7/11/09

Dodge Country IMCA Modifieds

21 Allan Essenburg

717 GW Egbert

15 Andrew Simmerman

12 Scooter Bates

20 Mike McCarthy

52 Ken Old

112 Jimmy Tidwell

88s Brad Smith

742 Larry Sanders

11 Chris Ochoa

247 Bill Lecompte

44 Allen Waltermire

555 PJ Egbert--lost driveshaft while leading

C4 Cham Savage

107 David Goode

44s Joe Spillman

63 Hardy Henderson

19 George Lamphere

3J Brad Jordan---DNS

IMCA Modified heats

Heat #1

63 Hardy Henderson

717 GW Egbert

52 Ken Old

15 Andrew Simmerman

107 David Goode

112 Jimmy Tidwell

19 George Lamphere

11 Chris Ochoa

742 Larry Sanders

Heat #2

555 PJ Egbert

44s Joe Spillman

c4 Cham Savage

44 Allen Waltermire

20 Mike McCarthy

12 Scooter Bates

88s Brad Smith

247 Bill Lecompte

Danny's Transmissons IMCA Southern SportMods

88 David Goode jr.---1st SportMod win

23A Greg Atwood

65 Randy Doyle

83k Kenny Ware

48 Mitch Tierney

44s Joe Spillman

05 Dennis Purrington

31 Robert Garcia

224 Mike McDougal

13 Sarah Goode

IMCA SSM Heats

Heat #1

88 David Goode jr

83k Kenny Ware

48 Mitch Tierney

44s Joe Spillman

23 Greg Atwood

65 Randy Doyle

224 Mike McDougal

05 Dennis Purrington

31 Robert Garcia

13 Sarah Goode

Dan Corbin & Associates IMCA Stock Cars

0 Tim Carmen jr

84x Eric Jones

9 Jason Batt

555 PJ Egbert

20m Mike McCarthy

20 Trevor Sparkman

50 Matt Guillaume

74 Dave Meadows

3 Robin Rasmussen

22w Justin Wierenga

31 Chuck Hatfield

1s Mark Dean

42j Jacob Wininger

712 Colton Monroe

27 Joseph Charnock

24D David Dun

02 Richard Valentine

29 Ray Tinkey

489 Anthony Otken

IMCA Stock Car heat winners, 24D David Dunn, 22w Justin Wieringa, 20 Mike McCarthy

Any Time Child Care Street Stocks

83 Dennis Simmons

88 Brian Mendenhall

84x Eric Jones

65 Jeff Currier

96 Paul Kohl

35 Chris Wilkinson

43 Gene Burnett

4 Ken Plonsky

7 Jeremy Adkins

84 Tony McPherson sr

19 Jennifer Silva

96v Richard Valentine

11 Trey Johnson

2 Kevin Ashley

30 Bobby Norton

B74 Jeff Bauser

14 Don Rea

81 Cody Bible

69 Jesse Johnson

26 Steve Phillips

Street Stock heat winners, 83 Dennis Simmons, 65 Jeff Currier, 88 Brian Mendenhall

Budweiser Texas Twisters #1

47 Ryan Ellis

23 Michael Hilliard

831 Steve Guyette

151 Shelby Ellsworth

55A Austin Witt

829 JD Hardcastle

77 Michael Hufschmid

911 Daniel Wade

B4U John Fermite

5 Nate Cullifer

86 Jonathon Herrin

B52 Steven Crossley

Budweiser Texas Twister #2

190 TJ Yagalla

0 Bobby Ware

DZ! Mike Dzialoski

66/77y Kevin Yagalla

555 John Parr

02 Neil Powell

24k Michael Crandall

37 James Deane

69 Jesse Johnson

03 Kim Ramirez

415 Dan Bronson

56 Jacob Sakhnini

202 Julie Kelly Zwiefelhofer

09 Mark Hufschmid

Kimberly Bridenstine, Allstate Agency night at the races, Texas Thunder Speedway 7/11/09

By J M Hallas

Killeen, Tx.,(July 11th, 2009) It was a little more than a regular Saturday night of racing on Texas Thunder Speedway's ¼ mile high-banked track, with the evening sponsored by Kimberly Bridenstine, Allstate Insurance Agency. Though the regular classes of IMCA Modifieds, IMCA Southern SportMods, IMCA Stock Cars, Street Stocks and Texas Twisters were on the schedule, a potential milestone was in reach for one IMCA Modified driver.

Defending National Champion, PJ Egbert was trying to become the 32nd driver to reach the 100 feature wins plateau. The multi-time, multi-track and Regional Champ, as well as new father, looked to be on his way to that win until fate foiled the quest.

Essenburg edges Egbert in Modified main

Past track and Regional Champion, Allen Essenburg continued his winning ways taking over the lead on lap 14 after PJ Egbert broke while leading the 20-lap event. Essenburg, who started 19th, then held off GW Egbert to take his second win in a row in the Mid-Tex Paint & Body, Affiliated Auto Glass, Mid-Tex Motorsports, Bones BBQ, Victory Automotive powered, Hughes Chassis.

As green waved on the 20-lap main, David Goode beat polesitter Joe Spillman out of turn 2 for the lead. Cham Savage challenged Goode, with Hardy Henderson making a charge by Spillman and Savage until he got out of shape in turn 4. Goode was able to hold off Savage until making the pass for the lead on lap 3. In the pack, PJ Egbert worked his way around his cousin, GW Egbert for fourth.

PJ Egbert then got past Spillman for third and closed on Henderson. After a brief battle, PJ Egbert got the spot and found himself a half straightaway behind Savage. GW Egbert got around Spillman, then Henderson who pulled off, moving Essenburg up to fourth as he marched forward from his last row starting spot.

PJ Egbert quickly cut Savage's lead in half and caught him on lap 8 as they ran up on traffic. PJ Egbert was able to inch out front on lap 9, but Savage retook the spot at the crossed flags, with PJ Egbert still on his heels, Essenburg, GW Egbert and Spillman rounding out the top five.

PJ Egbert, using the high side got back around Savage for the top spot on lap 12 and had the milestone in sight. But, as we all know, racing can have some strange twists. As Savage continued to chase PJ Egbert for the lead he got into the back of a lapped car sending both around on lap 14 for a caution. During the yellow PJ Egbert rolled to the infield, while his driveshaft laid along the front straightaway.

This moved Essenburg to the top spot, followed by GW Egbert, Spillman, Andrew Simmerman and Scooter Bates. Once back to green, Essenburg pulled GW Egbert by four car lengths. GW Egbert closed the gap on Essenburg, while Mike McCarthy and Bates ran side by side for fifth. Both Bates and McCarthy got past Spillman who slowed and pulled off. Up front GW Egbert got within a car of Essenburg, but not close enough for a serious challenge as Essenburg held steady for the victory.

“It was a maintenance thing” lamented PJ Egbert. “The bolts holding the U-joint fell out. We didn't have time to go over it(the car) this week.” Of course the reason he had so little time to get the car prepared, was due to the birth of his new son, PJ(Trey) Egbert III. The youngest Egbert and mother, Brittany McElroy, both doing fine, were in attendance. Look for a new Egbert in the winner's circle about 2025.

“I just followed PJ(Egbert) up through there,” replied Essenburg. “I knew if stayed close to him I'd be alright. He can get to the front fast. I knew if I stay with him, it would be a long shot to catch him. You just have to pick them off a couple at a time. I'm better off if I start in the back anyway. I don't know how fast to go when I star up front. It was a good race.”

“Since I've gotten back into racing again I've been off on the set ups. I think the cars have gotten so much faster. Nothing much has really changed as far as the racing part. It's just become more fast paced and you've got to stay on top of it. There's a lot of work now, it's like a full time job.”

“I've was kind of shocked to see PJ pull off. I think he'd have been hard to catch if he stayed out there. If he didn't break, he'd have probably won it. He's fast and got to the front quick.”

“These Hughes car are pretty fast. I don't know what he's hit on. This is an '07 with an '08 update, but Jason knows what he's doing. He been racing a long time and gives good support. You can call him right up to race time. You just set it up however he says and go with it. I don't know how he keeps up with it all. The cars are fast and easy to drive.”

Dodge Country IMCA Modifieds

21 Allan Essenburg

717 GW Egbert

15 Andrew Simmerman

12 Scooter Bates

20 Mike McCarthy

52 Ken Old

112 Jimmy Tidwell

88s Brad Smith

742 Larry Sanders

11 Chris Ochoa

247 Bill Lecompte

44 Allen Waltermire

555 PJ Egbert

C4 Cham Savage

107 David Goode

44s Joe Spillman

63 Hardy Henderson

19 George Lamphere

3J Brad Jordan---DNS

IMCA Modified heats

Heat #1

63 Hardy Henderson

717 GW Egbert

52 Ken Old

15 Andrew Simmerman

107 David Goode

112 Jimmy Tidwell

19 George Lamphere

11 Chris Ochoa

742 Larry Sanders

Heat #2

555 PJ Egbert

44s Joe Spillman

c4 Cham Savage

44 Allen Waltermire

20 Mike McCarthy

12 Scooter Bates

88s Brad Smith

247 Bill Lecompte

Goode goes green to checkers

Young David Goode jr. had the ride off his life as he went wire to wire to grab his first ever IMCA Southern SportMod win. Goode, who started on the pole,

got the lead early, got through lapped traffic without incident and pulled away to to a big lead on his way to taking his inaugural checkered flag.

Joe Spillman and Goode lead the 10-car field to green with Goode getting the advantage out of turn 2. Mitch Tierney, Greg Atwood, current points leader Mike McDougal and Kenny Ware fell in line behind Goode. Atwood got along side Tierney on lap 1 and got the spot on lap 2, while Ware slid high giving up spots to Randy Doyle and Spillman.

McDougal moved in to challenge Atwood for second on lap 5, but was held off. At halfway it was Goode now approaching slower traffic, Atwood, McDougal, Tierney and Doyle. The two veterans, Atwood and McDougal cut into Goode's lead as they diced through lapped cars.

Atwood and McDougal were forced to split a slower car three wide with McDougal making contact cutting down a tire ending his night. Goode cleared the traffic on lap 11 and built a good lead while Atwood fought his way through and Doyle moved up to third. Goode had a full straightaway lead on Atwood as the white waved easily cruising to the win in the Goode Towing, National Insurance Agency, Cen-Tex Frame & Alignment, Garvin Machine Shop, Hoffman Chassis.

This tightens up the SportMod points race with McDougal now holding a mere point lead on Tierney, and eight ahead of Doyle.

“I'm real exited.” commented Goode, who was still savoring his victory. “I've been waiting for this all long time. We had the car set up right and it was hooked up and getting traction. It's been a long time coming.”

“I've been talking to a lot of people that are good at the set ups. My dad, a couple friends and family help out a lot. It's a lot of work.”

“I was pretty confident when I took the white flag. Usually when I'm out in the lead I'll think someone is right on me. This time I knew I had some distance on them. I hope there's a whole lot more where this one came from.”

Danny's Transmisson's IMCA Southern SportMods

88 David Goode jr

23A Greg Atwood

65 Randy Doyle

83k Kenny Ware

48 Mitch Tierney

44s Joe Spillman

05 Dennis Purrington

31 Robert Garcia

224 Mike McDougal

13 Sarah Goode

IMCA SSM Heats

Heat #1

88 David Goode jr

83k Kenny Ware

48 Mitch Tierney

44s Joe Spillman

23 Greg Atwood

65 Randy Doyle

224 Mike McDougal

05 Dennis Purrington

31 Robert Garcia

13 Sarah Goode

Carmen Captures I-Stock Checkers

Justin Wierenga and Robin Rasmussen paced the 19-car, 15-lap IMCA Stock feature to green with Wierenga getting to turn 1 first. Joseph Charnock and David Dunn ran side by side as well and began challenging Wierenga. Charnock got the nose out front briefly on lap 1, but Wierenga came back to lead lap 2. Charnock finally secured the spot on lap 3.

Matt Guillaume and Dunn got by Rasmussen on lap 3 for third and fourth. Both picked up another spot on lap 4 getting past Wierenga. Tim Carmen jr. made his way to fourth getting by Wierenga on lap 5, with Jason Batt and Wierenga door to door for fifth. At the midway point it was Charnock, Guillaume, Dunn, Carmen and Batt in the top five.

Guillaume gave up second when spun in turn 3, with Trevor Sparkman spinning to avoid him. Both continued without caution. Charnock had built a straightaway lead over Dunn, now in second, but turn 3 bit him on lap 10 when he looped it and collected Dunn. This gave the lead to Carmen for the restart followed by Batt, Mike McCarthy, Eric Jones and PJ Egbert, who recovered after a lap 1 spin.

On the restart, Carman, Batt and Jones ran nose to tail with Jones beginning to pressure Batt for second. Batt and Jones then began a spirited side by side battle, but never lost touch with Carmen. Jones and Batt swapped second several times and on the last lap closed on Carmen. It was almost three wide going into turn 3 for the lead, with Carmen able to hold off Jones and Batt for the hard earned victory in the Hanks Tire & Muffler I-Stock.

Dan Corbin & Associates IMCA Stock Cars

0 Tim Carmen jr

84x Eric Jones

9 Jason Batt

555 PJ Egbert

20m Mike McCarthy

20 Trevor Sparkman

50 Matt Guillaume

74 Dave Meadows

3 Robin Rasmussen

22w Justin Wierenga

31 Chuck Hatfield

1s Mark Dean

42j Jacob Wininger

712 Colton Monroe

27 Joseph Charnock

24D David Dun

02 Richard Valentine

29 Ray Tinkey

489 Anthony Otken

IMCA Stock Car heat winners, 24D David Dunn, 22w Justin Wierenga, 20 Mike McCarthy

Simmons sweep Street

The 20-car, 20-lap Street Stock feature saw Tony McPherson sr. push Gene Burnett high and get the lead. Brian Mendenhall got along side McPherson on lap 1 and took over the lead on lap 2. Dennis Simmons moved past McPherson for second and began pressuring Mendenhall for the lead. Simmons got the top spot on lap 3 with Jeremy Adkins getting third from McPherson.

As the leaders ran up on, soon to be, lapped traffic, Jeff Currier, Paul Kohl, Jeff Bauser and Eric Jones were four wide for fifth. Jones came out of that fight with the spot and then got around McPherson. The battle continued in that pack and came to a head when McPherson, Bauser and Kohl tangled in turn 4 and continued swapping paint down the front straight. When the dust settled, McPherson, Bauser and Chris Wilkinson sat in turn 1 to bring out a yellow. Under caution nearly a third of the field pitted for repairs or flats.

Once back to green Simmons and Mendenhall got a good jump with lapped car mixed into the restart order. Don Rea ran over debris out of turn 4 and had a flash fire under the car that brought the caution back out on lap 14. Simmons got a big jump as green waved again. As Simmons edged away, Jones put the heat on Currier for third getting the spot in the final laps. Up front it was Simmons stretching out his lead in the Straight Family Racing, K&S Construction, SAG Trucking, Coryell Plumbing, South West Homes, Dewald Automotive sponsored car taking the win.

Any Time Child Care Street Stocks

83 Dennis Simmons

88 Brian Mendenhall

84x Eric Jones

65 Jeff Currier

96 Paul Kohl

35 Chris Wilkinson

43 Gene Burnett

4 Ken Plonsky

7 Jeremy Adkins

84 Tony McPherson sr

19 Jennifer Silva

96v Richard Valentine

11 Trey Johnson

2 Kevin Ashley

30 Bobby Norton

B74 Jeff Bauser

14 Don Rea

81 Cody Bible

69 Jesse Johnson

26 Steve Phillips

Street Stock heat winners, 83 Dennis Simmons, 65 Jeff Currier, 88 Brian Mendenhall

In the first of two Texas Twister features, JD Hardcastle got the early lead but was challenged by Ryan Ellis. The two were side on lap 1, with Michael Hilliard and Steven Crossley door to door for third. Ellis slipped in turn, but quickly caught back up with Hardcastle. Ellis got by Hardcastle briefly on lap 3, but Hardcastle came back.

Finally Ellis was able to wrestle the top spot away from Hardcastle on lap 5. After a lap 6 caution for debris, Ellis got good jump on Hardcastle who pulled to the infield. From there the 15 year old Ellis, another in the line of Ellis family racers, held off Hilliard then pulled away for the win.

Budweiser Texas Twisters #1

47 Ryan Ellis

23 Michael Hilliard

831 Steve Guyette

151 Shelby Ellsworth

55A Austin Witt

829 JD Hardcastle

77 Michael Hufschmid

911 Daniel Wade

B4U John Fermite

5 Nate Cullifer

86 Jonathon Herrin

B52 Steven Crossley

Mike Dzialoski got the point at the start of the second Texas Twister feature with Jeff Parr and Bobby Ware in pursuit. Ware got second from Parr on lap 1 while Neil Powell and Dan Bronson swapped fourth. Coming through the pack, TJ Yagalla was picking off spots getting fourth from Bronson as Ware grabbed the top spot on lap 4 getting by Dzialoski.

TJ Yagalla continued his charge to the front taking third from Parr on lap 4 and Dzialoski on lap 7 for second. TJ Yagalla closed quickly on Ware for the lead as they ran through traffic. Using a slower car as a pick, TJ Yagalla got the lead on lap 11, while Kevin Yagalla took fifth from Powell. TJ Yagalla, in the Killeen Heating & Air, CW Creative Air car pulled away from Ware to grab the checkers.

Budweiser Texas Twister #2

190 TJ Yagalla

0 Bobby Ware

DZ! Mike Dzialoski

66/77y Kevin Yagalla

555 John Parr

02 Neil Powell

24k Michael Crandall

37 James Deane

69 Jesse Johnson

03 Kim Ramirez

415 Dan Bronson