June 20th - 50cent Hot Dogs and Sodas, and

TRP

Things will be hopping at Texana Raceway Park on June 20th. The raceway will be hosting the first of it's three visits with the South Texas Championship Modified Series. And to add to the rewards, and following the example set by the first host, South Texas Speedway in Corpus Christi, Texana will be paying $1,000 to win in Modifieds and $800 to win in Limited Modifieds on June 20th.

With one event down, the current points leader in Limited Mofidies is McAllen's T J Huston, followed by Weslaco's Bobby Maupin and San Antonio's James Blaylock. At total of 42 Limited Modifieds showed at the first event on May 24th at South Texas Speedway, and it is still very early in the series and still anyone's series to own.

In Modifieds, the current points leader is Corpus Christi's Danny Brown, followed by Brazoria's Jesse Manning and Corpus Christi's Lawrence Mikulencak. A total of 20 ground pounding modifieds made the first event, and just the same as the Limited Modifieds it is still anyone's series to claim.

Several of the drivers in the series were on hand June 6th to give the Texana dirt a test run. If Brown's showing in the modifieds was a sample of what he has for this weekend, he will be a force to be reckoned with in the series. Texana's own Jesse Manning currently in 2nd for modifieds, was very strong at the first event, and is always a fast contender at Texana so, he's looking to have some of the home court advantage on the 20th. The raceway is also anticipating Steve Whiteaker Jr. to be on hand coming off of his first USMTS feature win last week at I-30 Spedway in Arkansas. Texana regular competitors such as Max Helms, Josh Majek, Dale Flanagan, Steve Miller, Nick Hardcastle, Vince Kacir, Darin Leonard, Paul White and a whole host of others should be on hand, and it will be a night full of stars on the dirt.

The raceway is also hoping to see Huston and Maupin from the Valley Region of Texas on hand and continue their pursuit of the series points in Limited Modifieds. The raceway has heard from James Blaylock who is planning to attend. Keep your eyes on Texana's Mickey Helms, Aaron Lunsford, Vince Louden, Cody Hildebrandt, Hunt Harrison, Ricky Konvicka, and recent feature winner Shane Hoefling, who will all be hauling the mail.

As a reminder for Limited Modified competitors, this event and all series events will only allow the Hoosier tire in Limited Modifieds. And, Texana requires raceceivers for Limited Mods and Mods.

Again, it is $1,000 to win in Modifieds, and $800 to win in Limited Modifieds.

You won't want to miss the first series event of the South Texas Championship Modified Series at Texana Raceway Park on June 20th as the stars roll into Edna, and you're sure to get your money's worth.

In addition to the series, all regular classes except for the Texana Classic Dwarfs will be running. And, the raceway will have the return of the much loved 50 cent Hot Dogs and 50 Cent Sodas while they last. Feed the family for $4...

Excitement galore and cheap food on June 20th at Texana Raceway Park in Edna, Texas.

Had to consult with the boss on this one. Sorry to be a little long winded on this, but thought we should explain our thought process:

When this series was set up, the tracks agreed not to use the American Racer in Limiteds for any series events. So, we communicated that to all of our racers who were using the AR tire already and let them know it would only be the Hoosier 500 for the series. That didn't make everyone happy who had invested in the AR's, but we did our best to explain why and got the buy in. Even though a series event is still a regular points night at Texana, we informed everyone that if they were to run at Texana in Limiteds on a series night, that it would be the Hoosier 500 only.

We understand the question at hand. Hoosier has just very recently released a tire that meets the requirements as published on the flyer for this series and it does not have an IMCA stamp. We also understand several teams have picked up on on that and purchased these tires.

We did not know that this new tire would be introduced. However, Texana management does not feel that it would be fair to suddenly say that the new Hoosier 500 tire will not be allowed four days before an event and giving consideration to how we published the flyers. We do understand the question and the concern, but we also know that several teams have purchased after reading the rules / flyers and the product was released. As it turns out, it is a timing issue. In fairness to everyone, we believe we must stick with the rules as printed and we can't suddenly make a decision to change this close to an event. Thus, for Texana, we feel that we must allow the new Hoosier 500 for the events at our track. Several have invested.

We hope everyone understands our thought process on this. This series is ground breaking for the region and has the potential to grow even more in the years to come if we all have a successful innagural series. We hope to see lots of series points chasers this weekend.

as durometers go, what is the comparison to this new Hoosier and AR sports mod tire?

is sts going to allow this tire too?

Both tires durometer out at a 49, they are the same tread pattern and sidewall plys it appears. the only other hoosier 500 tire being made is the IMCA stamped 500 and it will remain unchanged.

Every track and every track promoter has to make decisions that are going to piss some people off and make others happy. That's just the way it is in racing.

But those who are pissed need to take their concerns to the track management rather than using the Lone Star Speedzone forums as their own personal bitch box. There are racing websites where a person can rant and rave all they like and nobody cares, but Lone Star Speedzone is not one of them.

That being said, there is not a problem with discussing the pros and cons of rules on here. There is not a problem with providing constructive suggestions on here. But there is a problem when someone gets on here and uses the forums as their own personal bitch box.

I have removed several posts in this thread and will remove others that cross the line.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nick

NICK,Since i am not sure who makes the call on this, I thought OWEN ran the series,I will ask whos call it is..Seems late to make a change ,where many went out and BOUGHT tires they thought were up to date..This is not a BASH, I am sure many racers now want to know so they(we)can decide if its still affordable to go....Can who ever is in charge of the series and rules update us???Frank Torres

NICK,Since i am not sure who makes the call on this, I thought OWEN ran the series,I will ask whos call it is..Seems late to make a change ,where many went out and BOUGHT tires they thought were up to date..This is not a BASH, I am sure many racers now want to know so they(we)can decide if its still affordable to go....Can who ever is in charge of the series and rules update us???Frank Torres

Frank, I'm not too sure who has the final say in this deal. Hopefully they will provide updates. That's one of the reasons LSS is here - to give the tracks and series a place where they can post information without getting bashed.

Nick

Owen and Bruce have been on the phone today and are discussing. This series has a joint effort for Limiteds between the two tracks and Modifieds for the three tracks. I gave and give Owen a lot of praise for getting the coals stirred for this series, but it is something that the operators worked together on and will continue to work together on. As this series is brand new, some bumps will happen, but I would ask that everyone keep focus on the potential this has to offer as we get across those bumps.

Bruce had been on the phone with Hoosier prior to this week, and LMR21 is correct. Hoosier will be making the IMCA stamped tire and this new tire that just came out. That's it. The previous version of the 500 is not being produced. Again, Bruce and Owen have been on the phone today. If either ask me to post some more information, I will. Bruce nor Owen knew in advance that the new tire was coming, nor did they know that the old tire was going out of production. It is neither track's fault that this change in production occured. And, yes that is a mess, but not the track's fault.

Whether it is a week, or one month from now, or six weeks from now, the latest 500 is what will be available on the market.

This complaining about tires is getting old. I as a car owner I have bought the "old" Hoosier tires, I bought the AR 500's when we were told that they were legal at our local track and now we had to purchase "new" Hoosier tires to accommodate the SERIES rules that clearly state: "TIRES/WHEELS: Must use Hoosier ‘500’ Race tire. 27 by 8 by 15 or 26.5 by 8 by 15 ‘stagger tire’ allowed"

The drivers that paid attention to the rules as well as the tire market should be allowed to run the NEW Hoosier 500 tires. If others were not so worried about the AR tires and called their tire supplier and they would have know that the new tires are out and have been for a month or so.

DIDNT SOMEBODY JUST GET DISQUALIFIED AT EDNA FOR THOSE TIRES A FEW WEEKS BACK. THERE RULES SAY HOOSIER OR AR. LOOKS LIKE HE WAS PAYING ATTENTION AND GOT BUSTED. NOW THEY ARE LEGAL CAUSE A FEW MORE PEOPLE BOUGHT THEM.

The tires you are talking about were the American Racers, but those tires were for sprint cars, not sport mods.

I just bought the new hoosiers too. I got lucky that the track was out of AR tires or I would have them too now. And the rules state the tire. Which the new tire should be legal. The series can not be held responsible for a decision of a tire manufacturer. It is a little strange that a tire company changes a tire mid season though. But they are trying to compete with the AR tires. Thats good business sense. I understand the argument from some of the added expense. But I feel the complaints should go to Hoosier and not the tracks or series. This will be my first dirt race and I didnt have tires yet. So I dont even have a choice of tire to buy for this race. I would have to run the new tire. So if the rule goes against the new tire, it would stop me and maybe others from coming out. So the problem can run both directions.

I hope the CC guys still show up for this show. I agree with Monty that it's not either track's fault for Hoosier making their decision to make a "new" 500 series tire. One thing I don't understand is if neither track is IMCA sanctioned, why does it make a difference if it's IMCA stamped? Just a question from the fans perspective. Anywho, Edna made the concession to ban the AR for the CC guys and apparently Hoosier had planned this for awhile and I wouldn't expect a track/promoter to say a new tire is illegal four days before a scheduled event, but I see the racer said of it too that had some good, "old" Hoosiers that were legal in the class. Hopefully they do work something out and this event goes on as planned. Either way I plan on making the drive up to Edna for this event to watch.

SO GOOD CALL ON POSTPONING THE RACE FOR THE LIMITEDS AS A SERIES RACE. FIRST I WILL SAY THAT (JMO) I WILL NOT RACE AT ANY RACE TRACK THAT ALLOWS 3 DIFFERENT SETS OF TIRES OR ANY COMBINATION OF THE THREE. WHEN THE RULES FOR THE SERIES WERE MADE THE HARD HOOSIER 500 WAS THE ONLY TIRE OF CHOICE. THE AR WAS STILL VERY BRAND NEW AT EDNA SO NOT A HUGE DEAL. NOW THAT HOOSIER HAS COME UP WITH ANOTHER TIRE WITH THE SAMESTAMP MAKES IT LEGAL I DONT AGREE WITH. BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND DETERMINE THEIR RULES IN THE GREY AREA DOESNT MAKE IT RIGHT OR LEGAL. THIS TIRE DEAL HAS MADE WHAT WAS SUPPOSSED TO BE AN ECONOMICAL CLASS BLOW A TIRE BILL THROUGH THE ROOF. NOW IF A DRIVER REALLY OUTRUNS YOU EVERY WEEK WITH A SOFT HOOSIER ON THE LF A HARD HOOSIER ON THE RR AND AR'S ON THE OTHER TWO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO. YUP YOU ARE PROBABLY GONNA DO WHAT HE IS DOIN. LET THE TIRE COMPANY HAVE THEIR BATTLE AND DONT FALL RIGHT IN THERE LAP. KEEP THE HARD TIRE THEN WHEN ALL LOCAL TRACK CAN AGREE ON SWITCHING TIRES THEN DO IT. WHEN A CUP DRIVER OR TEAM READS BETWEEN THE LINES NASCAR DOESNT JUST SAY OK ITS GOOD CAUSE WE MISSED THAT NOPE THEY SAY THIS

OFFICIAL RULINGS: Officials reserve the right to make final decisions in the interpretation of any rules or race procedures at any time. No equipment will be considered as having been approved by reason of having passed through inspection unobserved.

THE RULES WERE CHANGED TO ACCOMODATE 3-5 DRIVERS IN MY MIND. THE REASON I SAY THAT IS THERE WERE ONLY 3-5 DRIVERS FROM EDNA AT THE FIRST SERIES EVENT WHICH WE RAN THE HARD HOOSIER.THE OTHER 40 WERE FROM SURROUNING TRACKS. WITH THE HARD TIRE AS A RULE.

SO UNTIL THE TIRE DEAL IS OVER WITH GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS SATURDAY I WILL BE THERE WATCHING.

There is really no easy way to address this subject and as many of you may have read in other locations, the series aspect for the Limited Modifieds is being placed on hold at present due to the tire issue that we cannot reach a concensus on with regard to the series. However, Texana Raceway Park will be offering the advertised purse of $800 to win this Saturday in Limited Modifieds. And, the Modified portion of the series is completely on go. We apologize for the changes.

When Texana joined in on the series there was give and take for both sides for Limited Modifieds. For the Texana give, we agreed to allow only the Hoosier 500 for any series event nights, and although that created some unhappy regulars at Texana, we worked it out. As noted earlier in this thread, that was a specific tire at the time. But, since that time a new product was introduced and other than the IMCA stamped tire, the new Hoosier 500 is the product that will be manufactured and the tire that will be for sale. As also noted in this thread, Owen and Bruce discussed this topic. The problem is that Texana believes that with the rules that were posted for this series, Texana would be in the wrong not to allow the new Hoosier 500 tire in the series. This is not a this track against that track thing, but simply a difference in how the two tracks presently believe we should address the new tire. More than just a couple of teams, (as a matter of fact a number of teams) read into the rules and when the new product came out, they invested. At present, this is the roadblock with regard to the series aspect. Simply put, Owen and Bruce have agreed to put the series on hold at this point with respect to Limited Modifieds.

It is not Texana's or STS's fault that a new tire was introduced. When you slice and dice this subject, it turns out to simply be a difference in how the two tracks believe this new challenge should be handled. The two tracks had the best of intentions in kicking this series off for Limited Modifieds. You could truly cut the opinions on this matter right down the middle with regard to the teams, and when it's all said and done, both track operators agreed that the best thing to do is place the series on hold for Limited Modifieds.

So, with the Limited Modified portion of the series being placed on hold, what does this mean? This means at present, we will continue with our advertised program with regard to the purse for this Saturday with $800 to win in Limited Modifieds. And, since the series is now on hold, we will allow Hoosier 500's or the AR 500's this weekend. Really no reason not to do allow that at this point with the series on hold. You pick your poison.

Growing up in the DFW area, I had great hopes for this series as we had some outstanding winged mod races back in the 80's with the NTRA series at the time involving several tracks. We will still see some of the best dang shoes in Texas at these events in the Mods and that will be a treat.

Now, focusing on the positive; there are three tracks running a nine race Modified series, which started on May 24th at STS and continues this week with the 2nd event at Texana. We will have 50 cent hot dogs and 50 cent sodas while they last, and Limited Modifieds will have some good money on the line and can use the Hoosier 500 or AR 500 this Saturday.

We look forward to seeing those who can make the run this weekend!

-Monty Chamberlain

Nice call on keeping the payout for the limiteds. I am just a fan but I see the only legal tire would be the one that was availiable at the time the rules for the series were posted. Any tire that came after is not THAT tire mentioned in the rules. Oh well , I'm just a fan , what do I know!? I do know I will be in Edna Saturday night and hope that everything works out for all involved.

I'm sure every tire has a specific item number that provides a specific model number as well. My suggestion to solve this problem is to get together and specify ONE tire, Hell get Hoosier involved as a series sponsor if you can and stick with that ONE tire no matter what "new" tire or model comes out. If the old 500s were being discontinued then I'd see the beef with whether or not the new tire should be allowed. But since both tires are still apparently being offered I say pick one and make it the official series tire and specify Hoosier 500 (or whatever tire) Model # fill in the blank. There wouldn't be any more whining about which tire to use is it legal and all that crap. Now it seems like there is a little divide between the CC drivers and the Edna drivers because of a lack of clarity on the official tire. Hopefully this tire issue will be resolved and from the stands we will continue to support Edna and STS as both have been enjoyable places to go for us.

Archived