More Cars At Shady Oaks Speedway

I would like to make a trip to SoS, I just wish it wasn't such a long pull: 150 miles one way.

Maybe I'll make a trip down there for a "special show". Or if someone else I know is pulling from H-town.

I did run a Halloween Havoc there a few years ago. Nice track and area. The pit, as I recall, had a "park like"setting to it. We spent the night in our enclosed trailer.

Good luck to the Scribs. Sounds like they're heading in the right direction.

Don't forget I offer $50 to the long puller of the night! 150 miles might just be the winner!

Jim Scribellito

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may sound silly but I have raced at SOS when it was fairly new and it even had a few tree roots in the track that had not yet worn away from those beautifel oak trees.What I remember most is this was the only fully shaded pit I can remember.This brings me to my suggestion,the silly part.To enhance the racing experience for everyone at the track,you should build a portable stage on a flatbed trailer.Add a generator or power cord and have live music in the pits before the race starts..Pull it on the front straightaway for a halftime show for the fans.You could have bands,puppett masters,comedians or even magic shows.When the race is over,fire up the bands in the pits again while the teams are loading and the fans are visting the racers and getting autographs.You would be surprised how many would show up just for that.Crouds bring crouds and also more racers.Everyone likes a party.Fire a big pit and sell tacos and drinks after the racrs.You would be surprised how many racers and crews forget to eat during the races.I meet many hungry racer when its over.If I remember right SOS is far away enough from town that there is no noise restrictions or time cirfues so an after race party atmosphere can be a tremendous draw and possibly open the show up for even more added entertainment.This will have a positive effect on car count.When a person goes home feeling good after having a good time they will be back.

As far as the entertainers,there are many many garage bands who would preform for little or no pay just for exposure.You could even have a battle of the bands.Other entainers as well.Another Star Search.Finances allowing you could get better known bands on occasions like special races.Like holiday or big events.The first track that figgures this out will pioneer a new way of making a race nite a real show.NASCAR does it.You could too.The trailer would be the biggest expense and doesnt cost that much.Just a thought.

This may sound silly but I have raced at SOS when it was fairly new and it even had a few tree roots in the track that had not yet worn away from those beautifel oak trees.What I remember most is this was the only fully shaded pit I can remember.This brings me to my suggestion,the silly part.To enhance the racing experience for everyone at the track,you should build a portable stage on a flatbed trailer.Add a generator or power cord and have live music in the pits before the race starts..Pull it on the front straightaway for a halftime show for the fans.You could have bands,puppett masters,comedians or even magic shows.When the race is over,fire up the bands in the pits again while the teams are loading and the fans are visting the racers and getting autographs.You would be surprised how many would show up just for that.Crouds bring crouds and also more racers.Everyone likes a party.Fire a big pit and sell tacos and drinks after the racrs.You would be surprised how many racers and crews forget to eat during the races.I meet many hungry racer when its over.If I remember right SOS is far away enough from town that there is no noise restrictions or time cirfues so an after race party atmosphere can be a tremendous draw and possibly open the show up for even more added entertainment.This will have a positive effect on car count.When a person goes home feeling good after having a good time they will be back.

As far as the entertainers,there are many many garage bands who would preform for little or no pay just for exposure.You could even have a battle of the bands.Other entainers as well.Another Star Search.Finances allowing you could get better known bands on occasions like special races.Like holiday or big events.The first track that figgures this out will pioneer a new way of making a race nite a real show.NASCAR does it.You could too.The trailer would be the biggest expense and doesnt cost that much.Just a thought.

Not a bad thought but the track does have issues with a neighbor and the noise.

I would like to make a trip to SoS, I just wish it wasn't such a long pull: 150 miles one way.

Maybe I'll make a trip down there for a "special show". Or if someone else I know is pulling from H-town.

I did run a Halloween Havoc there a few years ago. Nice track and area. The pit, as I recall, had a "park like"setting to it. We spent the night in our enclosed trailer.

Good luck to the Scribs. Sounds like they're heading in the right direction.

Don't forget I offer $50 to the long puller of the night! 150 miles might just be the winner!

Jim Scribellito

MAP QUEST SAYS I AM 158 MILES AWAY BUT IM SURE SOMEONE WILL PULL FARTHER IF NOT GIVE IT TO THE NEXT GUY OR GAL GAND C

MAP QUEST SAYS I AM 158 MILES AWAY BUT IM SURE SOMEONE WILL PULL FARTHER IF NOT GIVE IT TO THE NEXT GUY OR GAL GAND C

Ok, you piqued my curiousity. Per Google Map:

Driving directions to 2185 FM-622, Goliad, TX 77963

165 mi – about 3 hours 35 mins (up to 4 hours 10 mins in traffic)

There is nothing wrong with the people or the track itself as evident by all the compliments and the comments from fans and racers alike about the enjoyable times they had there. We went on opening night and even with all the problems with the wet track on opening night it was still not a wasted trip and the staff seemed really sincere and apologetic for their mess up. In fact, admitting the mistake was a huge step in making the night a little better, obviously the staff their are real stand up people and truly care about success at this track and hopefully they'll get it. It is a wonderful place to visit and the scenery is second to none at any of the Texas tracks I've seen. They were late to join the game so they were trying to do the best they can with rules and the closest track to them is Edna so they tried to make concessions to get the Edna guys to come and some of them do, plus most of the cities the racers live in are closer to them or Edna instead of CC but being from CC myself, I don't mind making that trip to Goliad or Edna for that matter, went there last weekend (also good to see Jim bring his dwarf out and have a solid run). Anyways, hope SOS can continue to get the car count up and think they are doing everything right, asking for input and doing the best they can on the service end and getting the drivers input on rules too.

Archived