More Cars At Shady Oaks Speedway

I seem to see a common reply here is the track is too tacky for some of the guys to run on.So set a date that STS is not running and make that night a more neutral or dry slick night. Get them there once maybe you will get some to come back as it is a neat track.One thought is let's say 10+ or so pure stocks from Corpus/ IH-37 show up.Let them run as a group of their own for a heat or feature. This was done at San Antonio Speddway one time and someone forgot to tell them you can't go three wide into turn one there. The SAS regulars were wanting for the big one to happen and it never happened.At the end of the race the SA crowd gave them a standing ovation.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the track! It will just take time to get the word out that it is a well run facility with some of the nicest people running it. I personally enjoy that the track is tacky. It is more fan friendly that way. Not so much dust swirling around. We were sad the mods didn't run last weekend, but intend to make every race that they are on the schedule. Keep up the good work and people will come.~Lisa

When guys are saying a dry track they dont mean dusty! What they are referring to is a track condition that allows you to breath the motor when entering the turn and not flat footing it around because of a tacky track can hold it. Any driver can drive on a tacky track because it doesnt take nearly as much chassis and talent. It takes alot more talent to drive on a drier track because you must control your tire speed while trying to maintain momentum in the turns. Obviously if your not flatfooting it and your working the throttle for traction your motor shouldnt be overworked unlike on a tacky track. Tacky tracks kill motors. They are fun to race on but could be expensive! You can capture a much drier track wo all of the dust in the air. Also the day of the races you know what direction the wind is going to be blowing from and that should be taken into consideration as well in the event you do have dust in the air.

I WAS IN THAT SAN ANTONIO RACE, I WENT THREE WIDE TO GET TO THE FRONT. I WON THAT FIRST RACE. THERE WAS PLENTY OF ROOM ON THAT TRACK COMPARED TO OUR CC SPEEDWAY. MY REASONS FOR NOT GOING IS SCHEDULE CONFLICT, DIFFERENT RULES, TRAVEL EXPENSE, AND MOTIVATION. I RUN A PURE STOCK AT STS.

BOBBY JACK

BLUE #88

The tire in question was not listed in the beginning as a track tire, so why ok it AFTER everyone has what was listed as a track tire?? Frank Torres

Because Jim is a man of his word(which is hard to find these days), and as he promised he was going to mirror the edna rules.

The tire in question was not listed in the beginning as a track tire, so why ok it AFTER everyone has what was listed as a track tire?? Frank Torres

Because Jim is a man of his word(which is hard to find these days), and as he promised he was going to mirror the edna rules.

so what your saying is since Edna changed the rule after the fact Jim should do the same? i would tend to think that if your a stand up guy then you would say "this is our tire and i don't care what Edna does", (not saying Jim is'nt) but the tire rule was changed at Edna after a certain someone showed up and won, after that everyone said hey i need to get some of those tires, and then SOMEONE probably lobbied the fact that it was legal at Edna.

Just look at the car count at STS..Owen is doing it right and other tracks i would think would follow his lead..Its not HEAVY at STS.. And there is no dust flying thru the stands as one has implied..The deal about tires will last longer on heavy then dry may be true,But i bet that engine will die sooner..If one wants dry so much,why not run asphalt?GOLIAD is called a DIRT track for a reason..The tire in question was not listed in the beginning as a track tire, so why ok it AFTER everyone has what was listed as a track tire?? Frank Torres

I beg to differ on the duct issue. If you are in the pit bleachers you cannot sit there for long unless you have some sort of eye protection. I understand that some of this is due to wind direction, but if you want to see the action and if the wind is blowing in the crowds favor, there is not allot of dust.

so what your saying is since Edna changed the rule after the fact Jim should do the same? i would tend to think that if your a stand up guy then you would say "this is our tire and i don't care what Edna does", (not saying Jim is'nt) but the tire rule was changed at Edna after a certain someone showed up and won, after that everyone said hey i need to get some of those tires, and then SOMEONE probably lobbied the fact that it was legal at Edna.

rules for tires were updated in march of this year on Texanas web site, I dont know if it was the beginning or the end of march, first race was march. 28th.first race at shadyoaks was april 4th so it was changed before sos started its season.

We have been to SOS twice this season. We will continue to return, making SOS our home track. It is a great facility, catering to the drivers and fans. The bathrooms are clean, the concession is reasonable and Jim really keeps the stands entertained. And lets not forget, the bus rides for the kids during intermission. They take the time to include everyone, making sure not to leave anyone out. A family oriented facility will continue to draw a good crowd and from what I can see, ya'll are filling the stands-more so than some of the other tracks around.

As for tires on the sports mod, the #888 that won the heat race, by a fair margin, was running on the hoosier tires. What seems to be such an advantage? I think it is nice not to have to follow the leader and change tires due to severe wear after 1 night of racing.

Keep up the excellent work Shady Oaks. It's a pleasure to call your track home!!

The advantage is the compound..It does not take alot of time to check with the tire company to find out the softness or hardness of there tires..The tire in question is a SPRINT CAR tire compound..If the big mods were running the same tires that the limiteds are running, there lap times would get much faster..The next thing one will want is to make the 383 legal due to the fact it can be built cheaper then the 355 ..If one shows where they can build it cheap will the rules change based on what they said..I HOPE NOT..Many would have to buy these tires because a few have them, But only a few would have to go back to what they took off.What makes more since for car count?We were going there a couple of weeks back, But due to the tires did not... I think i have seen where MANY racers said the same thing..Frank Torres

One other issue I can see in the rules. Why is there a 4 valve relief rule on the pistons when IMCA Sportmod is allowed 2 valve relief if they want to run it? I am not changing motors or pistons to run this track. I just dont see a logical reason for this rule.

Maybe its because they are not IMCA Sanctioned. You know there does need to be alittle difference between limited mods and full blown mods.

2 less eye brows does not make it a modified. There are too many other differences in these cars. And a Limited Mod IS a sportmod. Thats why the rules always say " sportmod rules " then add a couple of thier own changes. IF the track wants to draw more cars this will be a big deal for the racer and a VERY easy rule change for the track. No one can tell me that the 2 brow is a big enough advantage to really make a difference. I have run a 4 brow motor against a 2 brow this year and we had identical lap times and there wasnt any difference in power. If there is a power advantage it would be maybe 1-3 ponies.

And it's not about being santioned or non santioned. This is about getting car counts up. This will make a difference. You dont need to be santioned to use the rules.

We have been to SOS twice this season. We will continue to return, making SOS our home track. It is a great facility, catering to the drivers and fans. The bathrooms are clean, the concession is reasonable and Jim really keeps the stands entertained. And lets not forget, the bus rides for the kids during intermission. They take the time to include everyone, making sure not to leave anyone out. A family oriented facility will continue to draw a good crowd and from what I can see, ya'll are filling the stands-more so than some of the other tracks around.

As for tires on the sports mod, the #888 that won the heat race, by a fair margin, was running on the hoosier tires. What seems to be such an advantage? I think it is nice not to have to follow the leader and change tires due to severe wear after 1 night of racing.

Keep up the excellent work Shady Oaks. It's a pleasure to call your track home!!

Well I want to thank you Pink Posse for calling our track you "home track". As you know we have put allot of effort into what the track is right now and we have NO plans on stopping there. We are going to do whatever it takes to make this facility the best anybody has seen. I believe it should not only be about the drivers, but the spectators as well.

I know I speak for Jim when I say, we at Shady Oaks care about what the drivers and spectators think and say about our track. We will always keep an open mind when it comes to genuine ideas or comments to help us make it a better place to come to watch some good fast racing.

I beg to differ on the duct issue. If you are in the pit bleachers you cannot sit there for long unless you have some sort of eye protection. I understand that some of this is due to wind direction, but if you want to see the action and if the wind is blowing in the crowds favor, there is not allot of dust.

been there all season everyrace this year, last and beyond... only remember about 2 nights the dust was in the air........ :ph34r:

3. Heavy/Tacky tracks are hard on equipment. Nuff said.

This is one of those which came first the chicken or the egg kind of deals. Do you want to please the drivers to keep them coming or run a heavier track and keep the fans coming? I haven't been to your track yet but I haven't heard anything bad about it. I really am wanting to check you out but other issues are keeping me home EVERY weekend.

I would like to make a trip to SoS, I just wish it wasn't such a long pull: 150 miles one way.

Maybe I'll make a trip down there for a "special show". Or if someone else I know is pulling from H-town.

I did run a Halloween Havoc there a few years ago. Nice track and area. The pit, as I recall, had a "park like"setting to it. We spent the night in our enclosed trailer.

Good luck to the Scribs. Sounds like they're heading in the right direction.

Archived