More Cars At Shady Oaks Speedway

Jim,

I am personally happy as can be with the track.

1. You have a top notch flagman who really knows racing, and dont have an ego the size of cali., who is as fair as they come!

2. your track cant get any better as far as smoothness, and multiple grooves. The other night i seen cars run from top to bottom and fast.

3. the rest rooms are large and clean(and on both sides of the track), the concessions are good.

What else is there? The only thing that I see that dont blow the doors off any track that I have been to is the purses, but like mentioned before, you have to survive to prosper.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was just discussed 2 days ago about going down there to race. I am just getting started dirt racing coming from asphalt. I wanted to race a track with a good purse and still be a decent track. I live in San Marcos and we race at THR. So obviously Edna won out. They pay 700 to win in Limited with a 10 car count as a full field and they are the same distance to me. So this is where I am going. I still want to make a trip or 2 down to your track, but for the much smaller purse it makes it more difficult. I have heard great things about your track and will love to come down to race. But money is a big factor for us right now in this economy.

I like saturday racing myself. I could never make a Friday race. And I think if the purse was raised you would compete just fine for all the drivers going to Edna. I'm sure there are some just passing you by on thier way.

I know this has affected us here at THR. There might be too many classes to actually race in. Too many options. I know this is hard to change because most tracks run all of these classes. But take away a class or 2 and those drivers will move to another class which will bring that class up in count. They still want to race. This would have to be done by all the tracks.

and the second number 1 reason. Tires, tires, tires. This kills the racer. I dont know anything about dirt tires. But I have heard about this problem and I think it is the American racer. It is an awsome performing tire and also doesnt last long. So you get high $$$ teams buying these and dominating the lower budget teams. Hoosiers can last a long time which saves us money. I dont want to replae tires all the time because they are fast but wear out really fast too. I can afford to do this. I just will not do it. I like my money right were it is. :) We are running the Goodyear on asphalt at THR and one set will probably last at least a full schedule season and may go into the next season. I love this. If they were to switch to the Hoosier that the other classes run and I have to start buying 2 tires a weekend again, I would quit racing there all together and only race dirt. The class would die there. If they went to this Goodyear for all of thier classes they would get a ton of cars back.

Now, I cant wait to race there. Good luck getting it figured out. I know you will. I think that is why dirt is thriving and apshalt is dieing.

THE LOCALS WILL EVENTUALLY BUILD A RACECAR THEN 2 AND SO ON SO IT MIGHT TAKE SOME TIME TO GET CARS ITS KINDA LIKE PLANTS WATER THEM AND THE CLASS WILL GROW ;) LOOK AT OTHER TRACKS LOCALS ARE THERE MAIN LIFE SUPPORT UNTIL THEN U WILL HAVE TO PAY THEM MORE ;) I LIKE IT THERE KINDA HARD ON MY EQUIP BUT GREAT FACILITY LOOK FOWARD TO SOME GREAT RACING ;)

I can't thank you all enough for your input. We are going to implement some of these very good ideas and keep trying to improve our facility. I want to allow cars from other tracks to run with us ,if we add weight to make it fair OK.One thing about here is YOU WILL NOT WEAR OUT YOUR TIRES!. We saw many teams with brand new tires on at the start of the night and they still had the titties on them at the end of the night! That is allot of money saved right there!You might use a bit more gas here as we are 1925' around at the top and 1500' around the bottom. I have seven more lights and just got two 55' poles to mount them on so I will add lighting as soon as we can. We are going to do australian pursuits for a small purse and we did pay full purses in every class except Hot Stock trucks. The truck field is great but small and we know of no more being built. I think the farm trucks are going to take off and we still paid the mini stocks $100 to win,after all these are just young girls trying to learn in our sport. We kinda blew it not having Modifieds on the card last weekend but when you build a schedule in December it's really hard to see the whole picture.Next year should be much more of a building year and we are extremely gratefull for the cars and teams that have chosen to race here. We do not want anybody to think we are complaining!, quite the opposite .We are just open minded and always want to improve the program for our racers and our fans.Again I thank you all for input and look forward to meeting the racers that have yet to make it to Shady Oaks to experience the place,It is very special.Jim and Laurie

I would like to see the rules in the fender classes be closer to the other tracks running in South Texas (STS, I-37, Edna)

examples:

STS- Bombers enrty level class at SOS they are illeagal for Bombers and way underpowered for the Pure Stock class

STS- Pure Stocks At SOS most are illeagal for the Pure Stock class and way underpowered for street stock class

If you can get rules to match up closer in the fender classes you might get more cars to show up on their track's off night.

THE GREAT THING ABOUT THIS POST IS IT APPLIES TO MOST OF THE TRACKS IN OUR AREA. HOPEFULLY THEY CAN ALL PULL TOGETHER AND GET RULES FOR THE CLASSES FAIRLY CLOSE AND ADD WEIGHT FOR PENALTIES IF NECESSARY. THESE WAY OUT OF RANGE RULES ARE HURTING THE TRACKS NOT HELPING THEM IN MY OPINION. LOTS OF EXTRA TIME FOR DRIVERS,MECHANICS TRYING TO SWAP PARTS FOR DIFFERENT TRACKS. LOTS OF EXPENSES TRYING TO KEEP ALL OF THE EXTRA PARTS,TIRES,WHEELS ON HAND. IF WE DID NOT HAVE ALL OF THOSE PROBLEMS AND FULL TIME JOBS WE COULD ALL RACE AT LOTS OF TRACKS ALL OF THE TIME. I HAVE HEARD SHADY OAKS IS A REALLY NICE TRACK AND POSTING THIS TOPIC ONLY PROVES THEY WANT TO MAKE IT BETTER. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE RACE YOUR TRACK IN THE FUTURE !

I'm just glad that a track is actually asking for opinions on how to help out. Thats awsome. And it does look like you are listening and will do the things you can to make it work for everyone.

Common rules are a big deal I didnt mention but others did. Example. I want to run in Houston at the asphalt track but for me to run it is rediculous on the things I have to change. Final gear due to a rpm limiter, upper control arms, Add 50lbs lead on the front, smaller sway bar, wheel offsets due to rules and a few other things. And it's a limited mod class. It's just stupid and I dont want to racer there that bad. So this can help a lot.

And thats great that the tires dont wear that bad.

I cant wait to get down there to run.

Couple of things guys. SOS races on the off weeks in regards to Edna. Their schedule was worked out with them in mind to help draw cars to both tracks. Of course with that being said they do race on STS nights, thats unfortunate but one or the other was going to have to go head to head with them. Because SOS is drawing from Edna the fendered cars like pure stocks run the same rules as Edna. Unfortunately the pure stocks from STS and I37 differ in rules. STS is not far off and I have been chatting with Jim in trying to figure out a way to welcome them with very little change if any. He is working on that with Randy the tech man as we speak. Of course the STS guys most likely will only come if rained out, upset for whatever reason or a special big race. Nontheless its a step in the right direction. I think he could easily take the real bomber rules and shape them to being the same as STS because only 1 has made it to the track so far. If I was running bomber at STS I would be calling him to see what could be done as this doesnt effect any other track so why wouldnt he in my opinion.

Like Jim said you will not wear out tires on his track nor will the tires differ that much in performance on his track. I am running hoosiers that have been bought and paid for several years ago. Most of them are dry rotted and I have to run racing tubes to keep them aired up. Has not hurt us one bit. Jim has proven to me in a short time he will do whatever he needs to do to be successful. The best thing he has going right now is a bad ass facility, great promoter and a huge weekly crowd who is eating all the racing action Jim can throw at them. Even as good as the facility is I still notice weekly improvements each time we return. Some of the high points is he has 3 functional wreckers running and getting after it with crews on each one. A professional rescue crew whom appears to have everything if ever needed.He also has push trucks who also helps with the packing of the track. He has top notch equipment to prepare the track. He is getting the track better and better each week. I think over time he will learn a bit drier track is better then a fast tacky track for the drivers equipment to survive longer. This past week was almost perfect. Right now cars are still establishing themselves at his track. In the mods and limiteds there is no driver killing everyone week in and week out. One thing for sure at both Edna and STS you better wear your big boy pants cause you aint going to get lucky and win at those places. Even a top 5 is hard to get at those tracks. So you have to ask yourself how good of a chance do you really have against some of those veteran drivers that win the big money regularly. Lots of big time veterans at those tracks. I think SOS has good competition but its still taking shape who the track top dogs will be. Anyone right now can come in and be that guy in all classes! He is paying full purses as he stated and so thats no longer an excuse. Good luck hope this helps clarify some of the statements and questions I have read.

Jim, I believe you are doing a great job with the track. Probably better than I can ever remember, but we began our racing career(LOL) there on George's last year running the joint.

1. Beware of jacking purses up to high, once you go up its hard to turn them back. Edna stayed alive all these years with low to moderate payouts. I believe it wasnt till last year that Bruce really started ramping up the payouts. I may stand to be corrected, thats my opinion.

2. If you should start a kiddos go-kart class we have 1 that would be in for it, with another not far behind.

3. Track conditions have been overall very good, except for opening night it has been sticky but not heavy/muddy. I just hate when you send that damn spritzer truck right ahead of the Lates but I think the guys get a kick out of it cause it aggravates me so much. Nothing wrong with diversity.

4. NO Friday night lights! Not that it would affect us really, but you would have to start later, finish later and most likely, hardly get much travelers. Pretty sure most of us out there are working class people. Also, Your earlier starting times may affect out-of-towners to a degree, a lot of people are working Saturdays now-a-days.

5. As one other has said "You are the new guy", you are gonna have to build trust and local support, next year I hope they include you in the Mod Series. Heck, what would be wrong with adding a date?

JMOs

Carlton

One more thing that draws my friends and myself to STS is the special races with 40 laps or the 100 lap races. We love seat time and a 40 lap or longer race is a blast. You also find out who has some of better set up cars during a longer race. Just a note to throw in,I dont know if your track runs longer races or not. Thanks for asking the public for their opinions. P.S. Forgot to add Dancer motorsports is doing a great job with your photography and they have a great web site. I also like that you keep your web site updated,especially with the drivers points,standings. I like keeping an eye on my friends stats that race your track.

I think the American racer tire keeps alot of the STS/I37 limiteds away because the AR's are a lot better tire and most of us cant afford a set for each track...I also think the tacky track keeps alot of cars from showing up at sos its already a big track let the driver do some work.

I would much rather drive an hour and a half to SOS to race then two and a half hours to Killeen

I am the tech man at SOS, and I for one dislike the AR 500 tire. It is a much softer compound and has more tread depth, and is differentiating us as a track from the other 25 or so dirt tracks in the state running limited mods on the already good and proven Hoosier 500. I feel the IMCA legal guys are at a disadvantage trying to race against that tire.

As far as pure stocks, be on the lookout for good things! I want to schedule a meeting with all my pure stock drivers to discuss possible changes for next season in the rules. Such matters in the spotlight are

1. Finding a suitable replacement for the soon to be discontinued Hoosier Dirt Boss tire. I for one would like us to be on g60's, and on the 15 inch vacuum rule.

2. the possibility of a name change to "Hobby Stock". It just sounds more professional and appealing to potential sponsors if you ask me, and as you can see, our Pure Stocks, are not very "pure" anymore.

3. CLARIFICATION. There are WAY too many grey areas in our current rules. My proposed rules incorporate all of our current cars, but clear up some of the vagueness in our current rule package.

4. A shock claim. High dollar shocks should not be used on a pure stock car. I could mandate a part number per chassis, but I feel 25-30$ per shock is more then enough to replace box stock auto zone shocks, or to discourage competitors from running stock mount rebuildable shocks.

5. Beadlocks. I would like to allow 1 per car.

I will gladly send out finalized issues as soon as I figure out some of the last few tweaks in order to gather some input from our local guys. This is your track guys, we are here to give you a place for YOU to put on the show. As far as on the rules and regulation side, I am always available to give any feedback in regards to our rules, negative or positive. I personally invite drivers from all classes to email me and give me your feedback. It is truly an honor to work for what could possibly be the greatest dirt track in the region. The facilities are there, the fans are there, and we already have a great growing list of competitors. I welcome any competitor from any track to come and compete. I will work with you in order to make everyone happy. Jim and Laurie Scribellito have already done so much for racing in South Texas, I urge everyone to come on out, and meet these great people, and enjoy the place as much as everyone else who has came has done.

Randy Borlace, Shady Oaks Speedway-- Technical Official

I37racer93@gmail.com

This was just discussed 2 days ago about going down there to race. I am just getting started dirt racing coming from asphalt. I wanted to race a track with a good purse and still be a decent track. I live in San Marcos and we race at THR. So obviously Edna won out. They pay 700 to win in Limited with a 10 car count as a full field and they are the same distance to me. So this is where I am going. I still want to make a trip or 2 down to your track, but for the much smaller purse it makes it more difficult. I have heard great things about your track and will love to come down to race. But money is a big factor for us right now in this economy.

I like saturday racing myself. I could never make a Friday race. And I think if the purse was raised you would compete just fine for all the drivers going to Edna. I'm sure there are some just passing you by on thier way.

I know this has affected us here at THR. There might be too many classes to actually race in. Too many options. I know this is hard to change because most tracks run all of these classes. But take away a class or 2 and those drivers will move to another class which will bring that class up in count. They still want to race. This would have to be done by all the tracks.

and the second number 1 reason. Tires, tires, tires. This kills the racer. I dont know anything about dirt tires. But I have heard about this problem and I think it is the American racer. It is an awsome performing tire and also doesnt last long. So you get high $$$ teams buying these and dominating the lower budget teams. Hoosiers can last a long time which saves us money. I dont want to replae tires all the time because they are fast but wear out really fast too. I can afford to do this. I just will not do it. I like my money right were it is. :) We are running the Goodyear on asphalt at THR and one set will probably last at least a full schedule season and may go into the next season. I love this. If they were to switch to the Hoosier that the other classes run and I have to start buying 2 tires a weekend again, I would quit racing there all together and only race dirt. The class would die there. If they went to this Goodyear for all of thier classes they would get a ton of cars back.

Now, I cant wait to race there. Good luck getting it figured out. I know you will. I think that is why dirt is thriving and apshalt is dieing.

You said Edna won over due to the purse....You know Edna races on the days Shady Oaks does not right?

Everybody is saying there should be "common" rules for the various classes. I think this is a great idea! Now if we all would get together and speak to our local track owners and get them to work with other local tracks to get those rules set. I know this season is out of the question, but next season is possible right?

Jim, I believe you are doing a great job with the track. Probably better than I can ever remember, but we began our racing career(LOL) there on George's last year running the joint.

1. Beware of jacking purses up to high, once you go up its hard to turn them back. Edna stayed alive all these years with low to moderate payouts. I believe it wasnt till last year that Bruce really started ramping up the payouts. I may stand to be corrected, thats my opinion.

2. If you should start a kiddos go-kart class we have 1 that would be in for it, with another not far behind.

3. Track conditions have been overall very good, except for opening night it has been sticky but not heavy/muddy. I just hate when you send that damn spritzer truck right ahead of the Lates but I think the guys get a kick out of it cause it aggravates me so much. Nothing wrong with diversity.

4. NO Friday night lights! Not that it would affect us really, but you would have to start later, finish later and most likely, hardly get much travelers. Pretty sure most of us out there are working class people. Also, Your earlier starting times may affect out-of-towners to a degree, a lot of people are working Saturdays now-a-days.

5. As one other has said "You are the new guy", you are gonna have to build trust and local support, next year I hope they include you in the Mod Series. Heck, what would be wrong with adding a date?

JMOs

Carlton

Claybuster I want to thank you and all the other drivers & fans that have posted. I was running the limited mod 175 last year and then was told by my doctors that due to issues with my back and having multiple discs that are just shy of exploding, I was not to EVER drive a race car again. I now have what I think is one of the best drivers around (Mickey Helms) handling my car on race nights (great investment I think). I now work for Jim at Shady Oaks doing his computer work and anything else I can do to help. Let me say this, I have met allot of track owners in the past and I have to say, Jim cares very much about what the drivers/fans want & care about. He really wants the track to be the best it can be, and I feel if we all stick togther and keep an open mind it will be one of the best.

I think the American racer tire keeps alot of the STS/I37 limiteds away because the AR's are a lot better tire and most of us cant afford a set for each track...I also think the tacky track keeps alot of cars from showing up at sos its already a big track let the driver do some work.

^^^ what he said, my printed set of your rules does'nt have the American racer tire listed but at some point recently it was added , those tires are a considerable advantage and not everyone is going to buy an extra set of tires just to race at your track and be competitive. Edna also added that after the fact and i'm sure thats why they haven't seen as many limiteds travel there.

Well, I for one along with numerous others have enjoyed the fact that we have used the same set of tires with minimal wear(which saves money)since the season started. I like the tacky track, as apposed to a dust bowl, one grove, follow the leader dry slick track,and scalloped tires. and trust me there is plenty of work going on inside the race cars. ....and the fans dont leave with dirt piles in their ears and face...lol

If your worried about tires..I dont think you really have a leg to stand on till you try it, We are running old g60 tires against the other pure stock cars with the big birt bozz( 275, 305..) and i think we have one of the fastest cars out there... of course softer tires are nice...but I bet you would still finish in the same position (+ or - a position) with your current tires. Problem is most people are there own worst enemy...they are so sure they cant compete with a class they wont even try... heck, we hurt our good super stock motor..I put in our wore out street stock motor (with a .488 lift cam) just to have fun...and heck it was still fast.... I didnt think I had a shot at winning....but I race to have fun, and at least getting out there and running was a better plan than saying the other cars have an advantage. I have to say, I hate tacky tracks....but...I have had WAY more fun out there than I thought I would...last race the track was right in between...was not exactly tacky...but was not dusty...I really liked it. So, to all you people just looking at the rules saying you dont fit in...I say you need to at least try it once...then make your decision. Oh...and stick around after the races...I had forgot how much better it was when the fans would come into the pits and talk to us after the races...and they do here (thanks to Jims prompting) all in all...weather you finish first or last..I REALLY doubt you will leave this track thinking it was a mistake to come race there...and JIM...my only thought to make the car count higher ..you are already doing...a true stock class(trucks and bomber) just give them some time..... AJ

1. Finding a suitable replacement for the soon to be discontinued Hoosier Dirt Boss tire. I for one would like us to be on g60's, and on the 15 inch vacuum rule.

This is a completely false statement. I have spoken to the people at hoosier(since I am a dealer) and they have NO plans on discontinuing the dirt bozz tire. While speaking to the Hoosier people I discovered that there is a tire that is a compromise between the g60 and the dirt bozz and is 5 bucks more than the g60 and 30 bucks less than the dirt bozz and its 10" wide, its the Hoosier 500 10". It has the same tread and compound of the sportmod tire but it is 10" wide. It would be nice to get all of the aforementioned tracks to agree on a common tire. The heavier fendered cars need the extra width to hold the cars weight excellerating out of the corners and in the turns, but yet its not as tall as the dirt bozz and cheaper. just a thought.

1. The tracks are leaving u out, they started the multi track fund but left you out.

2. Racing against sts is never going to work they have a track owner that they are going to stick with because he is a lot like u he is there for the racer. He brought racing back to CC and they will be committed to him and should be he has done a lot for them.

3. If you are looking for more cars you are going to have to race the same night as Edna. I know that sounds crazy but people will race there in stead of Edna. People from STS like your track but are not going to race there over home. But they will race there over Edna. You will have to increase your purse in the mods/limited and lower the amount of cars needed to make first place money to 10 instead of 14. There are alot of cars at sts that will come race with u for a lot of reasons. Closer, finish before 1am , treated fairly and most of all a multi grove track. In my mind you also need to race the mods every night do not leave them off the schedule there are a lot of them out there and once you get them back on ur track they will be back.

This is just my two cents. Now let start putting holes in it I know it is coming.

I have to agree with Shadow

1. Edna to Goliad 55 miles, Goliad to Corpus 68 miles, Edna to Corpus 120 miles.

2. Gearing on the cars is a lot closer between SOS and STS, so STS cars would not have to make changes between the two tracks.

3. SOS is a lot eaiser on your cars than Edna, There is much more room to run on and less wrecks.

I have to agree with Shadow

1. Edna to Goliad 55 miles, Goliad to Corpus 68 miles, Edna to Corpus 120 miles.

2. Gearing on the cars is a lot closer between SOS and STS, so STS cars would not have to make changes between the two tracks.

3. SOS is a lot eaiser on your cars than Edna, There is much more room to run on and less wrecks.

Gearing at STS & Edna is the same. You'll have to do a gear change from either track to run SOS.

SOS is ran HEAVY, that's not easier on cars and I race Edna every night they race after driving 120 miles and my car isn't tore up. I've seen a lot of races ran at Edna caution free.

I live 30 minutes from Goliad and won't run there because the track is ran heavy and runs the same night as STS.

This is a completely false statement. I have spoken to the people at hoosier(since I am a dealer) and they have NO plans on discontinuing the dirt bozz tire. While speaking to the Hoosier people I discovered that there is a tire that is a compromise between the g60 and the dirt bozz and is 5 bucks more than the g60 and 30 bucks less than the dirt bozz and its 10" wide, its the Hoosier 500 10". It has the same tread and compound of the sportmod tire but it is 10" wide. It would be nice to get all of the aforementioned tracks to agree on a common tire. The heavier fendered cars need the extra width to hold the cars weight excellerating out of the corners and in the turns, but yet its not as tall as the dirt bozz and cheaper. just a thought.

Most pure stock cars are on an 8 inch tire, I for one would prefer everyone to be on the g60. The need for a 10 inch tire in a pure stock class is a crutch for an ill handling or improperly setup racecar. The IMCA hobby stocks manage to go fast on 7 inch street tires, and mods seem to handle themselves well on the g60, as well as the other pure stocks from other area tracks. I heard rumors about the discontinuation of the dirt bozz, but I had not looked into it myself. I will post my proposed rules within a day or so, after I do some final proof reading. I would like everyone with any interest in the pure stock class from our track, or from any other to chime in, and give input on them. I feel everyone will like them.

Just look at the car count at STS..Owen is doing it right and other tracks i would think would follow his lead..Its not HEAVY at STS.. And there is no dust flying thru the stands as one has implied..The deal about tires will last longer on heavy then dry may be true,But i bet that engine will die sooner..If one wants dry so much,why not run asphalt?GOLIAD is called a DIRT track for a reason..The tire in question was not listed in the beginning as a track tire, so why ok it AFTER everyone has what was listed as a track tire?? Frank Torres

Lets open a discussion about bringing more cars to Shady Oaks. What makes you the driver want to come racing at Shady Oaks and what kind of things are needed to get more of you here? Is it rules? Is it Gearing? Is it Purses? or something else all together. I used to drive 220 miles one way to race because of the facility and the way the place was run. That has been our goal from day one,Put on a good program for the drivers with a minimal amount of BS . We offer payouts within 30 minutes of your races completion.We opened the pit gates early to save on long lines.We give EVERY driver their money back at least! So there it is,Whats on your minds let us know,Jim and Laurie Scribellito

I suggest you run the superstocks on a full schedule instead of once a month.

Archived