33 replies to this topic

#26 FlatBlack84

FlatBlack84

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for Howard's number, Spooky. I've edited the post to include that info.

And, by the way, do you know why why we used to call what others call supermodifieds, B modifieds? I've never heard the term B modified anywhere else except Arena Park.

#27 Spooky #21x

Spooky #21x

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

I had never heard the supermodifieds called B modifieds before. I always thought the word supermodified was used before the word of Sprint car came around as i thought both  basically meant the same thing anyway.

Bobby

#28 FlatBlack84

FlatBlack84

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

Well Bobby maybe I'm misremembering. Wouldn't be the first time! 

Now when I speak of B modifieds, what I'm referring to is those open-wheel racers that had a squared off roof instead of a roll cage, and a square rear end instead of the rounded one you see on sprints. 

#29 Spooky #21x

Spooky #21x

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

Going back thru the scrapbook i seen some pictures of those cars you are talking about now. I do not really know why they were called "B" modifieds here unfortunately. I am curious on how many of these different built cars were Lubbock/ area cars and how many were out-of-region built cars.

Bobby

#30 FlatBlack84

FlatBlack84

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Bobby, I think the vast majority of 'em were from close to Lubbock and Amarillo. James Colson had one. Tim Irvin had one. I believe Chet/Marvin Fillip had one, as did Kenny Stead from Amarillo. I also remember two white "B modifieds" whose numbers were 16 and 19. I don't know who drove the #16, but a kid named Benson, Benton or Bentley drove the #19 and had a bad crash on the front stretch. I don't think he ever drove again. 

By the way, how has the racing been this year so far?

#31 Spooky #21x

Spooky #21x

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

The racing here West Texas Raceway has been great so far this year!!  totally remodeled racing facility looks great and my favorite improvement was they widen the racetrack another 15 feet all the way around the racetrack which has improved the quality of the racing !!  Because of the wider track now the "big" wrecks have reduced down to only 3 or 4 car pileups so far this season !! It has helped the Sprint Cars out also as there have been no "rollovers" so far this season (the Sprints ran last night-May 12th-but due to health problems i was not able to go to last nights program for the first time this season unfortunately so , if there were no "rollovers" last night that would mean last night would be the 3rd straight program the Sprints have run so far this season where everyone was able to stay on there roofs which probally would of not happen had the track not been widen another 15 feet.) along with some exciting racing thruout all the classes ( The USMTS "Main" Event was definitely a thrill to watch as an example!! I can hardly wait till the ASCS National Tour for the Sprint Cars come back to West Texas Raceway in June as there will will be another "exciting" show to say the least !! ) including the rebirth of the Street Stock class. There were many other improvements made to West Texas Raceway and you can tell there is a different "vibe" there full of excitement and hope for the future there too!! So far this season, the size of the weekly crowds in the spectator grandstands has tripled from years past and the spectator parking lot almost has been completely full every single week so far this season which is something to see also !! And that is not even including the "excitement" on the racetrack too !! 2017 definitely has been an "exciting" season so far at West Texas Raceway for many reasons !!

Bobby

#32 FlatBlack84

FlatBlack84

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, Bobby! That's great to hear. Now all we need is for the Lubbock AJ to take some interest like they used to back in the 70s. 

#33 Spooky #21x

Spooky #21x

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

I wish it would happen again too. But unfortunately, they, just like all the tv stations are obsessed with Texas Tech sports and continue to fail to see that Lubbock does not revolve only around Texas Tech sports. Ironically, channels 28/13 were at West Texas Raceway this past Friday night doing some filming there but i have yet to see anything about it on either station so far. Both the Lubbock AJ and all 4 tv stations are missing out on a lot of stories coming from there that would be perfect filler material for their sports and sportscasts that could be used anytime during the week and would be a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Bobby

#34 FlatBlack84

FlatBlack84

Floor Sweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

Agreed. And there should certainly be some coverage of the big sprint car races next weekend. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users