Memories of San Antonio Speedway

NickHolt

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick

What are the videos on now? Let me know and I'll do some research and see if we can get them converted. I'll pay the bill.

They are on VCR cassettes - Are there more than one size? These cassettes are about 6" x 4" X 1" inch. The same size that fits into a standard VCR player.

Nick

Nick

Im going to go buy the VCR/DVD recorder this afternoon. That should do the trick. I'll let you know more latter.

Scott

I just applied the new paint to the frame, nerf bars, and bumbers. Should be able to start putting it together tomorrow. I'll start another post with the new paint latter.

In the old days we loved to see Slick race there he really had the race track down. More recently we loved to see Robert race there. He loved going high next to the wall coming out of turn 4 shoting down for the win. Some racers were scared to get so close to the wall.

When me and my wife got married years ago, we went to San Antonio for are Honeymoon, I remeber that Saturday mourning flipping threw the TV stations and seeing a mourning TV show about the race the week before. So we went, and the racing was good and so was the Cold beer, and there was this guy who would Dance on the front straightaway with his flags as the cars would roll out, I think he hangs around on this site sometime and he goes by Nick.

• 6 years later...

my first memory of highway 16 was when my brother Terry Barden built his first Thunder car it was a 68 Camaro that we built in a week . the first time we started the car we loaded it up on the trailer at 4:30 Saturday afternoon to go to the racetrack Terry's foot slipped off the clutch and he rammed the front of trailer with the front of the car and poked a hole in the radiator . I can also remember watching Waldo Harper and Freddie fryer duke it out in a late model series . but my most favorite memory of all is when my Uncle Jimmy Barden let me ride with him in the pace car for a little kid of about 12 years old that was the most exciting and thrilling thing . and then in 1987 my dad Carol Barton my brother Terry my brother Bill my brother Lee and myself all ran in an enduro 250 race . bad motor blew up mine overheated Billy craft and went to the hospital Terry quit racing and went to the hospital with Billy at least finish second to David Castleberry after running out of gas not once but twice and still finish second . he would have won if we could more gas in it the first time . I remember hitting that dip going into turn 3 scared the bejeezus out of me

that should have read dad's motor blew up . Billy crashed and went to the hospital . Terry quit racing and went to the hospital with Billy . my motor got so hot that it split the radiator hose from one end to the other it look like somebody took a razor blade and sliced it . my brother Lee was the only one left and he finished second to David Castleberry . we ran out of gas twice if we could have got enough gas in it the first time he would have beat them with Castleberry because he was in the lead when he write out the second time . you later bro that car back in the Thunder Car Series it was a blue 71 Camaro with a yellow number 27 on the doors when he raced he won period . David Castleberry would always win until my brother LeeLee showed up then we would win and David would finish second that's just the way it was back then . Of course by that time Terry was already running in the Super Stock division with Beaver Stelzig and Larry Bendeley .

My dad and I at sas for the first time in our old hobby stock. I went out for my first and only practice going into turn one full throttle and realized I went in the corner to hard and fast. The rear end came around and I tagged the wall or brushed the wall with the bumper. It scared the s$&t out of me. After it was all over my dad told me Shawn Paul come over to him with a pair of pliers told told me I am going to need these. My dad said for what. Shawn Paul said to get to seat cover out of his a$&. Well all in all. I started dead last and finished p2. The other memories I have is winning the championship with hunter. Winning thre of the five races when the track reopened. Great memories

• 2 years later...

This reply is to a long since inactive thread. Reading these stories has rekindled some old memories. 

I grew up going to pan american. Back in the good old days. 

My dad and i built and raced a street stock at hwy 16 for a year or two. I never won or gained any recognition but i was nonetheless out there. A red/white cutlass number 01. I also got to wear a nascar official shirt for several years afterward as i worked the back gate and was loosely labeled tech inspector. I never did tech any winners but did spot infractions as cars came in the back gate. 

Even though i grew up on the Southside I ultimately moved to Houston in the pursuit of money.

Thanks for the memories and the forum.