Memories of San Antonio Speedway

NickHolt

I don't even know where to start..

I was racing at Pan American Speedway in late 1976 when we started hearing rumors about a new half-mile track being built south of town on the Poteet Highway. We all knew that Ricci Ware and certain group of drivers had had a huge disagreement about the way that the drivers' share of the front gate was being handled. And we all knew that many of the drivers had stopped racing at Pan Am and at Paramount Speedway in Austin, Ricci's other track.

But what we didn't know is that a group of disgruntled drivers had been working behind the scenes to build a "professional" track that was designed to compete directly with Pan American Speedway. That group of drivers formed a 33-member partnership with various members contributing money, labor, expertise, materials and moral support, but the main force behind the effort was being provided by Don Bierschwale who owned a prosperous funeral home on Military Drive on San Antonio's deep south side. Bierschwale, in fact, was elected President of the group's board.

Construction on the new "Highway 16 Raceway" began in March, 1977, and the first race was held on August 22, 1977. The track's motto was, "When the green flag drops, the bullshit stops," an obvious reference to their disagreement with Ricci Ware.

Many of the Pan American and Paramount drivers abandoned Ricci's ship and Ricci only ran head-to-head with the new track for a year before pulling the plug.

Former NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Champion Terry Labonte from Corpus Christi won the first Late Model Sportsman Championship in 1977 in an abbreviated opening season.

Well, I started... I've got tons more, but I'll hold off for now.

Nick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a kid I would have to say sitting in the stands watching my dad race and then cheering for Larry Bendele in the Super Stock class or Late model class not sure what the name was back then. It’s amazing what can be learned from watching races in the stands. I won’t tell the secrets Larry!!!

Then the best memory I have as a driver there would be winning the last race with Terry Barden as Race Director then coming back a few weeks later and winning the first race there with Rick Day as the Race Director.

And last but not least would have to (Not try to stir it up) be standing on the front straight expressing my displeasure to Brandon (did you hear the fans?) after getting dumped in the second half of the Hill Country Wireless and Satellites "Fall Brawl" then my Umscheid Race Services pit crew getting the front suspensions put back together to win the Shoot Out portion!

Is there a way to get a piece of the track before its gone?

Edited by UMSCHEIDRaceServices

I had gone to races at little dirt tracks in Iowa as a kid. Sort of kept it up until I got married. My wife wasn't a big fan of racing, so I went once in a while for about 20 years.

When my Wife died in 2001, I started going back. This time to SAS. The races got me out of the house and into the world again. Going to the track filled a void. For that, I am grateful...Now, I'm thankful we have THR, Corpus, and a miriad of dirt tracks to go to.

Rosie

my first trip to 16, we got lost on the way, being from Lockhart, didn't know where or what HWY 16 was! We made it, I couldn't believe the banking! My first dose was Robin McCall and Eddie Bierschwale in the Limiteds and Tommy Davis & The Bean Bandit in the Lates..... the start of a great relationship between my dad and I with the SA track. I remember the first Texas Classic, the All Pro Races and the Chitwood thrill show, Brian Carson too!

We were worried she was a goner when Scott Holland took off, but she made it through!

I could go on for hours and hours, makes me wanna have a Bud Light!

Edited by outlaw22

I remember racing my quarter midget on the front stretch of SAS or Highway 16 know at that time. The racing my truck there was a blast I always liked the dipon the backstretch. The best part as working on a crew would have to be a tie between the time when I crewed for Bradley and his car blew the motor on Friday and he got in Roberts car and won the championship and the other one was when I crewed for Casey and we made our pit stop and was half a track behind Brandon and caught him on the last lap and finished second by a fender.

i cant remember the name but it was a 250 lap race i believe ..clifford allison raced that night .it was just after donnie was hurt ..what year was that ...... that was my first race to attend at sa ... years later my wife and kim scored for nick when he ran it ..use to ride along and and sit with my son watching races .... then we started racen with tps with the 55 of steven carpenter..... and then moved on to the number 7 of jessie sandoval ..we built a new car in 02 to go up and try and get a win. finaly got one ...... sure miss that track .we always looked forward to racen there ..thunder hill and sa are our favorite tracks to race on ..now we have but just one ..

I think I first went there for a Super Latemodel race but I can't remember. Watched my Dad run his modified there whenever TAMs came to the track. The last race he ran in the Mod was at SAS when the motor blew and 2 other Mods hit him bending the rear clip over and taking the right front suspension off. There wasnt much left of value on the car so we scrapped it after that. Was a cool track though, loved watching the Modifieds and Super Lates on it.

Edited by ss36_tams37

I loved the few times I raced there. To me it was scary fast. I always seemed to get there too late to practice and had to take it a little easy until I knew how the car was going to handle. One time it was so loose the corners were a controlled spin and everytime I hit the dip on the back staight the rpms went up. It was fun...scary fun !

the 1st time i went to race it , standing at the back gate to sign in and being nervous as hell. it was a freaking monster. the only track i had ever run was longhorn and this thing kinda freaked me out.

i asked my step dad for advice, he said "hammer down til your a$- starts to suck the seat cover off,,,,,,,then lift." david umscheid was standing next to me and my step dad and he took me off to the side. he gave me some off the best instructions i could ever get (secret) , then followed by "don't hit the walls, they are a b_tch."

i started 16th or 18th,,,,,,,,followed both of their words of wisdom and finished 3rd behind my step dad and leland waddell.

almost felt like you could read the news paper down the straight and then somebody through you into a blender.....i tryed my hardest to butcher seat covers.

there will never be another PERIOD

I still remember, and always will ...................... some of the best racing I've EVER seen .................... was the night several years ago when J.C and Brandon put on a great racing exhibition for the lead for about 10 laps, after a restart in a super-late race. THAT was some thrilling racing to witness!

I don't think I can pick just one, after meeting really great people. But the one that would have to stand out in my mind would be when after sitting in the stands for so many years just watching and going down to the pits after the night was over. I started talking to this driver, didn't know who he was or what car he drove or even his name. But agreed to come back the next week and help him, and we helped him for 4 years after that, what was once just a small conversations turned into a life long friendship. That would be what I remember most. Going to miss it all. :(

John Kelly

George Hagy

Beaver Stelzig

Pat Lane

Larry Bendele

Hubert Bean

Ken Neal

Ervin Brieten

Donny Horelka

Darrel Forrest

Ray Becka

Bobby Villinueva

Mike Balzer

John Benker

Jim Creech

Audie Howell

Jason Oates

David Edwards

Eddie Bierscwhale

Ricci Ware Jr.

Mark Opiela

Leroy Farmer

Brandon Bendele

David Barker

Robert Barker

Joe Aramendia

Lance Gaither

Jerry Wren

Bill Kaiser

Timmy Croft

Buddy Jerkins

Scott Jerkins

Barry Codling

Greg Rohmer

Terry Mason

Marcos Bellino

Bill Rose

John Hernandez

Bruce Kraun

Frank Johnson

Rick Hagy

Brandon McCall

Kenny Hurley

Ronnie Kruegar

Floyd Hodge

Gene Couch

Becky Benker

Larry Hunnicutt

Melven Myres

John Meyer

Tommy Davis

Tommy Grimes

Russel Deckert

Tommy Grothues

Sherry Blakely

Steve Wagner

Jack Morris

Randy Gilliam

Mike Rieneger

Mike Meeks

The memories for me are the racers.These are but a few of hundreds that I have seen race there.I've missed many,some more obvious than others,but this is what I could sit here and remember in ten minutes....thanks for the memories guys and girls...it was great.

I can remember as a kid going to SAS or Hwy 16 and watching my buddies race. Robin McCall, Ken Neal, The Hagy brothers. I had always wnated to race that track but never got the chance. I do recall winning a foot race for a new tire for my friends that were running a TIDA pony car. turns out I was in the wrong foot race!! I will never forget SAS

i remember as a kid playing in the "kiddie pits", and standing in line for the kiddie rides. riding with gene couch around the track loving it and telling him to go faster. weird how you remember crazy stuff like that. watching my dad race all those years as a kid, couldnt wait until i was old enough to go in the pits with him, and then try it myself. that dream ended quick head on into the turn 3-4 wall. lol. it sure was fun until then though. looked so much easier from the stands. lmao. that place was wicked.

As a fan and a racer, I have alot of great memories at San Antonio Speedway. I spent many a night at that track and met a bunch of great people thruout the years. Driving the buggy around the track and picking up "debris" between practices and between features. Hanging out with my uncle Richard Villanueva in the pits in his tow trucks, watching Bobby "Burrhead" Villanueva win a few championships there. Beaver Stelzig and the Late Model guys battling door to door. TIDA, ROMCO. Super Street Stocks were one of the best classes ever established at SAS. The speed, the excitement, the rivalries between racers, "THE FANS", cheering on their favorite driver, it was a one of a kind atmosphere. Lots of great people and great racing meant that I always looked forward to Saturday Night at SAS. Even though they changed the name thru the years it was always remained " THE FASTEST 1/2 MILE IN SOUTH TEXAS". We will always have our memories of what SAS meant to each of us, but it feels like I have lost an old friend and will always remember her as

"the other woman". :P How about this Sunday when they scream out "Gentlemen start your engines" at Bristol, we have a cold beverage of your choice in honor of "our" 1/2 mile battleground San Antonio Speedway. RIP. Lenny66 B)

Chet Phillip.

Never saw him race San Antonio but when he was racing at SAS, he made a trip up to a Pelican 200 at the longtime closed and demolished *sigh* Shreveport Fairgrounds 1/2 mile oval -- the sight of the first NASCAR race held west of the Mississippi by the way!

I bet Freddy Fryar had a lap or two at SAS don't you reckon?

I wonder exactly how many cars ended up bent beyond repair after an encounter with the infamous SAS boiler plate...

I know of one for sure. The Johnny Ivy / Nick Holt / Bruce Mabrito Vega broke a RF hub going into turn one in 1978 with Bruce behind the wheel. "Hello wall, goodbye car." Too bad, too. That car was mighty quick on the half-mile.

Nick