Get Well wishes for Gerald "Papa" Fischer

debwill

I got the following note from Gerald "Papa" Fisher's wife:

Gerald is in Christus Santa Rosa Hospital, Room 2602. Last Tuesday he had two teeth pulled. One upper and one lower, opposite each other. No complications except pain but that is what usually happens....it has to feel worse before it gets better. Two days later he was in terrible pain so he went back to the dentist. No dry socket or anything she could see. She put him on Vicodin and Penicillin. The next morning he work up and his face was so swollen on that side. It was huge and he was in severe pain. He had a huge ostrich egg looking place on his neck below his jaw and his eye was swollen shut. Later that day he got a knot on his temple also. That was yesterday.

I wanted him to go to the ER last night but he wouldn't. This morning he wanted me to call EMS. I got him to the emergency room and they did some scans and blood tests. They said that normally if you have an infection, they expect to see your white blood count at 10,000.....15,000 at the highest. Well, his is 30,000 and evidently that's not common. They said he had a ginormous infection. He hadn't eaten or had fluids (except a sip to take pills) in two days. They got 2 bags of saline in him and started him on some steroids (for inflamation) and some sort of antibiotics....two kinds. The doctor said it was the strongest antibiotics they can give a human. They admitted him and will do surgery in the morning. They are hoping it isn't in the bone because if it is, that complicates things. Also they said a tooth extraction, even if it were abcessed, would not cause this kind of thing. They don't know if it's an auto-immune thing or what and can't even begin to look until they get the white count down. He's pretty sick but he's on morphine so at least he's not in pain.

I had spoken to Gerald for quite a while on Friday, and he never mentioned it. I hope he gets over this infection soon.

I just spoke with Gerald. He's doing better. The swelling has gone down some, and it looks like he'll be in the hospital another couple of days until the antibiotics take care of the infection.

He said he'll be back on LSS soon - (and I quote) "because I'm too hard-headed to go anywhere!"

That's good news, and I hope we'll be seeing him at THR for Racefest.

I just spoke with Gerald. He's doing better. The swelling has gone down some, and it looks like he'll be in the hospital another couple of days until the antibiotics take care of the infection.

He said he'll be back on LSS soon - (and I quote) "because I'm too hard-headed to go anywhere!"

That's good news, and I hope we'll be seeing him at THR for Racefest.

Thanks for the great news Debbie. Hope you're back to 100% soon PAPA.

I got the following e-mail from Sandee Fischer (Gerald's wife) last night - don't know the details:

Gerald is having another surgery in the morning so he is still in the hospital. Not sure for how long. Just an update.

THANK YOU EVERYONE !

I just got out of the hospital today. I'm still not out of the woods yet but it looks like I'll be alright. I had no idea how sick I was. My white blood cells are still around 14000. They were at 30000. My head was all swollen on the right side. Yes, I have even a bigger head now. Things like this really get you thinking about stuff and it will scare the hell out of you. I am a very very lucky man to have a family that cares for me. And friends like you guys. Its good to be home. Everyone do me(and yourself) a favor and tell your family and friends that you love them. I promise you'll feel a lot better. Thanks again everyone. Now...Is everyone ready for the 14th?

Yep Gerald, we are all ready for the 14th and now that we know you will be there we are more ready now. See you there and glad you are doing better.

Archived