need a little help with program

ou81too

For the last two months I have been working on a AWARENESS program for passengers in the high school level but broken promise and dead ear are all I have got. I would like help to make my 1973 gutted cutlass supreme, with 10 point roll cage ,door bars on both side and safety bars in places that need it. and a fresh motor that loves to run. A TEST CAR TO PROVE A POINT at your home track during intermission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The new managment of the track has put tractor tires around the turns it will be dangerous to put a non-skilled driver so I have to scrap that part of the program.I have a new direction that will work, I need to prove that if you are a passenger in a automobile and because of being helpless and not able to control the automobile when it looses control by road conditions,driver ability,or mechanical failure. 40% of all deaths in auto crashes are PASSENGERS--------------------------WHEN THE AUTOMOBILE IS SLIDING SIDEWAYS THE PASSENGER CAN PULL THE E-BRAKE AND IT WILL CAUSE THE REAR OF THE AUTO TO SWING AROUND AND MAKE CONTACT WITH THE DEADLY OBJECT AND THE PASSENGER CAN WALK AWAY.If I can prove this the TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY will start training the new and old trainees. Is there any one besides myself that has done this. THANKS.

That is very true, but the transmission selector IS, you can move the shifter to reverse and it will cause the wheels to lock up .same result. Most of the standard rear wheel drives are pulling trailers. I dont have a good answer for everything ,But automotive advice is from life on the edge

Let's suppose someone is a passenger in the car I am driving on the freeway at 70 mph. The car next to me doesn't see me because I'm in his blind spot and he pulls out to pass the car in front of him. I instinctively move to the left to avoid getting hit, putting my two left side wheels into the dirt. 400 feet ahead is an overpass pillar so I can't stay on the dirt or I hit the concrete at 50 or 60 mph, or so. Meanwhile the guy next to me hits my RF bumper. Now I'm in serious trouble.

But I'm a former race car driver and I don't slam on the brakes and I don't over-correct. I feel pretty sure I can save it and ease back onto the asphalt and barely clear that concrete pillar.

But all of a sudden my passenger, who may have attended your passenger safety program, grabs the shifter and forces it into reverse, locking up the front end. Now my steering is useless and we plow head on into the concrete pillar.

Or if I had a RWD pickup in the same scenario, when he pulled the brake or jammed it into reverse, the rear wheels would lock up and we'd start to loop it, getting about half way around before my door finds the concrete pillar.

I'm not saying your idea has no merit. Perhaps in rare situations it might work. But in most situations unexpectedly taking control of the car from the driver can only make matters worse, not better.

Here's maybe a better idea to save passengers' lives. Teach kids not to get into a car when the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Teach kids that street racing is like playing Russian Roulette - sooner or later that gun is going to go off. Teach kids that racing is for the race track. Get the kids involved in a race car or gymnastics or some other very demanding activity that actually rewards folks who work hard and achieve success.

Nick

The only way a passenger should try to take over a steering wheel or e brake is if the driver is unconscious or dying. Gonna have to agree with Nick, other ways to improve awareness .......and if my 16 yr old grabs my steering ,well......not a good idea....

and ya rental car's can be real fun...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rental cars are a blast, going to try to get one for the next race if cars arent ready. :P:lol:

so now we know who.s doing it ...i use to fix those rentals ..did any of you rent one in corpus dureing the early 90.s .and then play boat races out on the beach ... sure had a bunch come into the dealership .all covered in sand .motors blown ..oil pans full of salt water and sand ..computors wasted .... i just want to say thanks ..lol made me some greenbacks rebuilding them ...... shoot ..days of thunder had nothing over these cars .. AGAIN THANK YOU FOR THE OUTSTANDY WORKMANSHIP...... SORRY IF THIS MAKE INSURANCE ADJUSTER MAD . some lose .some win ..lol

ou81too I understand what you are trying to do but there are way to many variables for this to be a reliable way to steer a vehicle. What needs to be done with all vehicles is a traction system as Merecedes Benz uses. There Electronic Stability Programs use yaw rate and lateral acceleration sensors, along with steering angle and wheel speed sensors to calculate what the car is doing so the vehilce itself can apply needed brakes to helpthe driver steer the car. It works well. you should find some info and read up on it. I beleive BMW and some others use a similar system.

Rental cars are a blast, going to try to get one for the next race if cars arent ready. :P:lol:

so now we know who.s doing it ...i use to fix those rentals ..did any of you rent one in corpus dureing the early 90.s .and then play boat races out on the beach ... sure had a bunch come into the dealership .all covered in sand .motors blown ..oil pans full of salt water and sand ..computors wasted .... i just want to say thanks ..lol made me some greenbacks rebuilding them ...... shoot ..days of thunder had nothing over these cars .. AGAIN THANK YOU FOR THE OUTSTANDY WORKMANSHIP...... SORRY IF THIS MAKE INSURANCE ADJUSTER MAD . some lose .some win ..lol

I think i might have been there during that time everything is still fuzzy :blink: so i cant be sure. :lol::lol:. But if it was me glad i could help you out.

ou81too I understand what you are trying to do but there are way to many variables for this to be a reliable way to steer a vehicle. What needs to be done with all vehicles is a traction system as Merecedes Benz uses. There Electronic Stability Programs use yaw rate and lateral acceleration sensors, along with steering angle and wheel speed sensors to calculate what the car is doing so the vehilce itself can apply needed brakes to helpthe driver steer the car. It works well. you should find some info and read up on it. I beleive BMW and some others use a similar system.

No offense, but who can afford a Mercedes when they have a race car. Agree with the "too many variables" for sure. Either way a seatbelt and obiding the driving laws on the street probably lowers your chances of being involved in one of these accidents. I am aware that accidents happen, but 9 out of 10 could have been avoided with defensive driving, putting the cell phone down, not changing the cd, putting on makeup(ladies), and my favorite:put down that cheeseburger.

Like most techological advances in the auto industry, Electronic Stability Programs and traction control systems first appeared on high-line cars but are rapidly becoming available on less expensive cars. In addition, they aren't new, and have already become available on the Jeep Compass, Volkswagen CC, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Xterra, Mazda 3, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Journey, VW Passat, Mitsubishi Galant, Chrysler Sebring, Saab 9-3, Buick Lucerne, Volvo V70, Subaru Impreza, Dodge Durango, Pontiac Vibe, Hyundai Veracruz, Suzuki XL7 and Grand Vitara, among others. I tested a Suzuki SX4 a few weeks ago which had ESP and Traction Control plus four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, electronic brake distribution, air bags plus side curtain air bags, a navigation system and even a tire pressure monitoring system at a list price of less than $17,000.

No offense, but who can afford a Mercedes when they have a race car. Agree with the "too many variables" for sure. Either way a seatbelt and obiding the driving laws on the street probably lowers your chances of being involved in one of these accidents. I am aware that accidents happen, but 9 out of 10 could have been avoided with defensive driving, putting the cell phone down, not changing the cd, putting on makeup(ladies), and my favorite:put down that cheeseburger.

THE PROBLEM IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE THINK WHEN THEY DRIVE : OH THEY BETTER NOT PULL IN FRONT OF ME : OH HE CANT PASS ME : OH THAT TRUCK AND TRAILER IS IN MY WAY I CANT SEE EVEN THOUGH ITS DOING 75 THEN THEY SLOW DOWN IN FRONT OF IT: PEOPLE JUST DONT THINK WHEN THEY GET IN A CAR IF THEY WOULD THINK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN A WRECK THEY WOULD DRIVE A LITTLE MORE TO PREVENT AN ACCIDENT RATHER THAN IF U WRECK ME IM GOING TO SUE U OR I CANT BELEIVE U R TRYING TO BACK THAT THING UP IN FRONT OF ME I CANT WAIT 2 MIN THEY R JUST IDIOTS BUT IM NOT BITTER G :P OR THE BEST ONE AND HAPPENS EVERTIME ON THE ROAD IS THERES A BIG TRUCK I NEED TO EXIT THEY HEAD FOR U AND CUT U OFF AND EXIT OR THEY SEE U IN THE FAST LANE TRY TO PASS U ON THE RIGHT THEN RELIZE IM GOING 80 AND THERES A LINE OF CARS IN FRONT OF ME AND CUT ME OFF ANYWAYS THAT IS JUST STUPID :blink: U WOULDNT BELIEVE HOW PEOPLE DRIVE TOWARDS BIG RIGS @%~%!#$^#%&^^*#@%^

Thank you very much for the input, AND YES I AGREE NO passenger should never practice this.BUT has anybody ever had a engine,transmission,or rear end lock up when you were in the apex of the turn WHAT HAPPENED . The rear of the car started leading

Thank you very much for the input, AND YES I AGREE NO passenger should never practice this.BUT has anybody ever had a engine,transmission,or rear end lock up when you were in the apex of the turn WHAT HAPPENED . The rear of the car started leading

And that means it's OK for a passenger to take control of the car from the passenger seat to induce a spin? I don't think any responsible automobile safety program is going to endorse that concept.

I, for one, feel very badly that your son died in an unfortunate accident. But I think your passenger safety program is ill advised.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty confused by what you're trying to accomplish, ou8, but I applaud your tenacity! One cool thing about dragging a passenger around a track is the likelyhood of creating another potential racer, or at least a fan!!! The whole grabbing the wheel/shifter/brake thing is gonna take some splainin'... :blink:

• 1 month later...
I'm pretty confused by what you're trying to accomplish, ou8, but I applaud your tenacity! One cool thing about dragging a passenger around a track is the likelyhood of creating another potential racer, or at least a fan!!! The whole grabbing the wheel/shifter/brake thing is gonna take some splainin'... :blink:

THIS is the FIRST program that has artificial intelligence has been used

Even with the ESP turned "OFF", the program doesn't quit working. If the vehicle yaws to much to the right or left it still kicks in. It makes it so you can do a burn out but not loop it. Having grown up in the Great White North (Pontiac, Michigan), one of our winter fun things to do was find a big snow or ice covered parking lot, get our car hauling butt across it and throw it into reverse. The loss of control is COMPLETE. Add to the fact of driving tall SUV's and loads in pickups or trailers. No offense, but the only people who should be trying the "shift into reverse", "pull the E brake" or "grab the steering wheel" tricks are Hollywood Stunt Driver's on closed courses. I think that most race car driver's would have problems controlling a vehicle under those conditions.

I'm with ya OU812 that something needs to be done, but I think education on prevention and making smart choices is the way to go. You know as soon as you show kids how to do that, some 17 y/o stud is going to try it with a carload full of other bulletproof kids and someone is going to get hurt or worse.

Archived