Support for a San Antonio short track?

boogity-boogity

Anyone trying to re-open San Antonio Speedway would have to negotiate a lease agreement with the property owner or current lease holder unless, of course, they were able to convince the present property owner to sell. In the past, however, the property that SAS sits on has not been for sale. A few years ago Mr. Dickerson made several very generous offers for the property that were turned down. I know this because I was involved with writing up one of those offers.

Another consideration is that the future use(s) of the properties immediately to the East and South of the track are still in legal limbo. Should one side win, there will be housing and multi-use developments nearby. Should the other side win, who knows what the future could hold for that area.

Nick

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Toyota being against the track is not true!!! Toyota had nothing to do with SAS closing. As a matter of fact the track sits within Toyotas 3 mile buffer zone. The track sits at 1.2 of the 1.5 mile buffer zone required by Toyota. The City of San Antonio and it's greedy City Council and cohorts thought they had struck pay dirt with a huge 520 acre housing subdivision just past the track heading south on 16. Councilman Phillip Cortez and others tried to wheel & deal to get this deal in the works. Come to find out, the dirt on that property is contaminated with "Dome Dirt" from the excavation of the old Alamo Iron Works plant where The AlamoDome currently resides. That put a stop to any possibility of public housing. The people that bought up all that property did not do their home work on what was going on out there. To them it was all about the $$$. SAS ran for 30 years with no issues from the city, same restrooms, same kitchen, same wiring, pretty much same everything, it wasn't an issue then. Easiest way to close the track, condemn the property, throw an exorbanent amount of repair fees and Code Compliance costs. Terry Dickerson tried his best to keep that facility open and I supported him every way I could. If the City thought they could get revenue from the track operations, them greedy[edited out by Nick Holt, 12/15/08] would be out there in a flash. I for one would love to see SAS as an operational facility once more. Just my 3 cents. Lenny66 B)

I liked your three cents worth Lenny. I wish it would come true. I enjoyed San Antonio Speedway and the racing there was great. And you are right about the City Council. And the folks in San Antonio just voted for them to stay in office a bit longer. Ouch. <_<

San Antonio has fallen to the same fate as Longhorn. Its political now. I agree that building new is going to be more profitable in the long run. I am anxious to know what the plans are for THR after 09. I know that will determine alot about the future because of the small # of asphalt tracks in Texas, THR is considered a big part of local racing.

...Come to find out, the dirt on that property is contaminated with "Dome Dirt" from the excavation of the old Alamo Iron Works plant where The AlamoDome currently resides. That put a stop to any possibility of public housing. The people that bought up all that property did not do their home work on what was going on out there. To them it was all about the $$$. SAS ran for 30 years with no issues from the city, same restrooms, same kitchen, same wiring, pretty much same everything, it wasn't an issue then. Easiest way to close the track, condemn the property, throw an exorbanent amount of repair fees and Code Compliance costs....

Not sure where you got the info about the contaminated dirt. I know some of it ended up as fill between the back straight wall and Highway 16 to the south of the pit entrance, but I was not aware that any of it ended up at that proposed subdivision.

Also, in previous years it was the county inspectors who inspected the SAS infrastruture, not the city inspectors. It wasn't until that area came under the juristriction of the city (when the Toyota deal was made) that the city sent out their inspectors who were far more strict than the county inspectors.

Nick

with the population outreach that has ALWAYS ocurred,,,,,prooven fact you build a race track and within three years from the date you open it will be surrounded by nice new neighbors complaing about the noise and wanting to take you to court. ....even though you were there 1st.

somebody should change this topic's title,,,,,,,it sucks very big

I thought that the city tracked down ALL the dirt which was moved from Alamo Dome site. I know a bunch of it ended up at a pond at the corner of IH-35 South & Loop 410 South. That dirt was gathered back up and taken to a cleaning facility. Also, they placed monitors around the pond to keep trackof whether lead gets into the pond water.

dont really have to build it unless you want too,just put up a sign that says "future site of ----- raceway,opening spring of 20??",and the houses will come.

Damn thats funny :lol: True, but funny.

There isn't one person that I know that wouldn't love to see SAS reopen. Hell, it was in many of conversation's I had in Orlando about the place....it all seem to end in "WHAT A SHAME IT HAD TO CLOSE" and they where with people that had never been there, just heard of it. I still know I had the honor to have been there the first time and last time a race was held there. SO boogity boogity, GET-R-DONE!

I have talked to a couple of individuals that were involved with the lease, and they

informed me that when the track was comdemned, that released them from any

obligation to the lease and property owner. They told me that the owner was informed

that it was her obligation to handle the taxes and upgrades to the property on her own.

Wow and here it goes again. I think this has gotten the most action out of any post recently. I would like to remind all involved that this isn't just about THR and a facility in the SA area. We also need to think about HMP and look at how another track would effect their venue. The folks at HMP have bent over backwards to give racers a place to compete.

I personally think a 1/2 mile track somewhere between SA, Kyle and Houston would draw a huge crowd and give folks the opportunity to travel to all tracks.

I personally think a 1/2 mile track somewhere between SA, Kyle and Houston would draw a huge crowd and give folks the opportunity to travel to all tracks.

Don't forget our brethren in Corpus Chirsti

I think everyone is still a little "Gun Shy" by what happened last year by j&s. I understand that...but....If there is a chance of bringing a 30 year piece of racing history back to life then we should listen. And if someone wants to build a dirt track somewhere then that would be great as well. THR, CCS, and HMP are wonderful tracks that we should support but SAS was and should be again the "Crown Jewel" of Texas. Lets be cautious but listen to what boogity is trying to do. Maybe nothing will happen and maybe something will. just my 2 cents.

Sorry guys, I forgot to say that I would be totally interested in seeing SAS open back up.

Loved the high bank, high speed, and great side by side racing. By the way, I still have

my car, which I raced the last night at SAS, on jackstands in the garage, race ready, just as it came off of the trailer that night, nasty-ass American Racer slicks and all.

By the way, I still have

my car, which I raced the last night at SAS, on jackstands in the garage, race ready, just as it came off of the trailer that night, nasty-ass American Racer slicks and all.

Let me guess....those American Racers are FLAT!!!!! :lol:

Gunnar and I had to laugh at the PRI show. AR had a tire mounted on a wheel on display at the show. By the second or third day, it was flat! :blink:

Archived