Support for a San Antonio short track?

boogity-boogity

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that reopening SAS would be a great thing for racers that were used to the 1/2 mile experience. I know that many cars were still being finished up, when we got the news of SAS closing down. I appreciate the opportunity to race at THR, but honestly, I prefer the high bank 1/2 mile that SAS offered to the racing scene. Since I am being honest, it was also much cheaper for me to run here at SAS. We had to park our Late Model as part of our decision to run at THR when SAS was closed down. That car is still in moth balls waiting to run the 1/2 mile again. My car was originally built for SAS and I feel we got chopped at the knees when SAS was shut down. THR drivers, staff, fans and crew members please do not take my comments for anything but what they are, my comments. Mary Ann and family have been more than exceptional in all they have done for racing in South Texas. I will continue to support THR as an owner/ driver and a spectator. But if SAS were to reopen or a new 1/2 mile or larger track were built in or around San Antonio, I would definately support that venue as an Owner/Driver and fan of local Saturday night racing. Just my 3 cents. Lenny66 B) [/b]

I know that reopening SAS would be a great thing for racers that were used to the 1/2 mile experience. I know that many cars were still being finished up, when we got the news of SAS closing down. I appreciate the opportunity to race at THR, but honestly, I prefer the high bank 1/2 mile that SAS offered to the racing scene. Since I am being honest, it was also much cheaper for me to run here at SAS. We had to park our Late Model as part of our decision to run at THR when SAS was closed down. That car is still in moth balls waiting to run the 1/2 mile again. My car was originally built for SAS and I feel we got chopped at the knees when SAS was shut down. THR drivers, staff, fans and crew members please do not take my comments for anything but what they are, my comments. Mary Ann and family have been more than exceptional in all they have done for racing in South Texas. I will continue to support THR as an owner/ driver and a spectator. But if SAS were to reopen or a new 1/2 mile or larger track were built in or around San Antonio, I would definately support that venue as an Owner/Driver and fan of local Saturday night racing. Just my 3 cents. Lenny66 B) [/b]

Lenny,

I appreciate your honesty for what it is worth. I agree with your missing the 1/2 mile experience and think it would be great to be a part of bringing that back to those who miss it like us.

While we were in Orlando, we had several people asking about SAS and if there are any plans. They said we would bring their trucks down and run with Us.

KISS,

That'd be great! We'd (and I speak for myself and what I think the other fans want) love to see racing from all over the US, and would welcome it! It adds such a neat dynamic to our racing as they may have things to show us and vice versa.

Boogity,

Thanks for the PM... You never know who is hanging out in your backyard so to speak. I have heard some interesting rumors as of late. And as I stated in my PM there has been one track already built by an ex-indycar driver which BTW his son races a gocart at HCKC in New Braunsfels.

Bottomline as Charlie and others will tell you, build it, make it available to the public, but please don't try to charge a membership fee and your drivers will show up.

Wishing you the best,

Mark

Supply & Demand... two of the most important words in business.

The Car counts per Class indicated Supply & people in the stands indicate Demand.

Pre 2008 Racing season, Supply & Demand were down at HMP, SAS & THR

With the weekness the City of San Antonio took advantage of the issue & we lost SAS.

in 2008 we saw changes @ HMP with Demand, but Supply still suffered

THR continued to grow both Supply & Demand, with Supply growth outpacing Demand.

Bottom line, for a 3rd track to open efforts to stablize Supply & Demand must continue to be put forth...

Local racers need to see Decreased costs or increased payouts & Tracks need to see increased Fans

so they can in turn increase purses & increase marketing efforts...

Bottom line.. maybe we should price up what tracks need to keep the doors open & ask for a bail out!!

Unfortunately, everything you have said is true the prices are rising on everything, thus making it hard on everybody. What I would like to see happen is for drivers and crews and families to be able to do something they love, and not feel like they have to cover the costs of the establishment. If the fans ( the demand you speak of ) are bountiful, then the supply will be much easier to cover. I like the Bailout aspect of the joke, but they seem to forget about the little man or woman. :)

that maybe true, but with SAS you have a whole bunch of history and that may bring people back out quicker.

the way cities/counties haggle and annex and reannex, they may be more apt to throw up road blox on a new facility..

OUTLAW, I THINK YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD THERE, JUST THE FACT OF SAS OPENING THERE DOORS AGAIN IT WOULD BRING OUT A LOT OF PARKED CARS. A NEW FACILITY WOULD SEND YOU THROUG A LOT OF RED TAPE.

With the politics in San Antonio it would almost be easier to go to another site and build from the dirt up, instead of always having our neighbors to the east flexing their muscles. Anybody agree? Feel free to respond however you may...

If you are referring to Toyota then no. The press of them giving the track a hard time would be bad business. I had originally thought that Toyota was a sponsor for Irwandale Speedway, but have since been told they bought it. If that is indeed the case, why would SAS have problems with Toyota directly? I think it would be a great idea if someone were interested in SAS to go to city council and see how receptive they are to the track re-opening. As many tax breaks as big complanies get just for asking, it sure wouldnt hurt. Also, since the buffer was re-instated around the plant, one might be surprised as to the amount of work that will need to be done?

Archived