talk about thunders

Michael & Mitzi

OK Mike,a couple of things right off.First,there are many models with small engines that would make great Thunder cars but have no chance at 2100 lbs.We should go back to pound per cc like it was for years including your favorite years.A Honda Civic with a 1600 should weigh 1600 lbs.Some are 1500cc others are 1800 cc.These cars are already out of competetion as it is now.Why???

Next the cars with automatics need something to help them.Fact is an automatis 4 cyl will not equal a standard.We have a chance to get some cars from Thunderhill if we can give them something to be competetive.They are all stock FWD and automatic.With a couple of bolt on things like more tire or less weight or something a good modern automatic car can run with us on street tires.What would get them intrested in running CC on off nites.They only race twice a month.What can we offer them???

We should try to get some McAllen thunders too.They have been tweeking their rules and may now be fast enough.They also run only twice a month.I37 has minnies now and I dont know what they run.Racing on Fridays gives them a chance to race here on Sat.How can we intice them???

I know you want to go back to 92 for your golden years.I want to return to 05 when we had over 20 cars regulary and some of the best and fast racing with many different winners.Now how are YOU going to get more cars?From where?How??? Not only do you not race at CC,you are taking our champion with you next year to Pro Sedans as well.

Now is the time for positive ideas for growth.Rules dont get cars,period.No matter what they are.A person who doesnt think tire diameter changes gearing or anything on a rear suspension affects speed of a FWD car is behind a little.

I believe the key to growth will come from the respect Thunder drivers have for each other and the fun we have racing.Lots of people enjoy being a part of something good.Its the people that will make or break this deal.So far its not doing so well on this post.Even our promoter doesnt want in on this.Its all been said a million times.

What I do know is the active Thunder drivers are a great bunch.They will help any new people intrested in this deal.They will welcome the out of town guys just like they do for me.I wish I lived closer,I would have all my friends and some family members racing with us.Just like we did at RGS in the 90s.Inclusion not exclusion.

SORRY GB .I AM NOT TAKING YOUR CHAMPION ANY WHERE ..I THINK HE IS OLD ENOUGH TO DECIDE THAT ON HIS OWN ..MAYBE HE WANTS TO TRY NEW TRACKS .BETTER TIRES .. ..FASTER CARS ...MORE CARS TO RUN AGAINST . HELL I DONT KNOW ..... ASK HIM ...LIKE I SAID BEFORE . IF YOU WANT THOSE CARS ..BUILD ONE AND THEY WILL FOLLOW ..THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL BUILD UP TO RUN THUNDERS IS FOR SOMEONE TO BUILD ONE ..THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP UP WITH YOU ..I SUPPOSE YOU THINK NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH WHAT YOU HAVE IS GOING TO BRING THEM OUT ..... I HAVENT SEEN YOU SAY I WILL RESTRICT MY CAR AS TO SLOW IT DOWN .KNOWING THOSE PURE STOCK THUNDERS COULD NOT GET CLOSE TO YOU .HECK THEY COULDNT GET CLOSE TO MUCH OF ANYONE IN THUNDERS NOW ..... SO THAT MEANS IN ORDER TO BUILD THEM UP YOU HAVE TO KILL WHAT YOU HAVE .... OR START A NEW CLASS .. HEY IM ALL FOR IT .. ..BONE STOCK ......[ RULES DONT GET CARS PERIOD ]...HUM /NO RULES LEAVES IT WIDE OPEN FOR SOMEONE IN THE KNOW TO TRICK OUT A CAR .. IF YOU DONT WANT RULES .ILL BUILD A 500 HORSE POWER ALL WHEEL DRIVE EAGLE ... SORT OF FUNNY THAT CHAMPION YOU SAID I WAS TAKING . SEEMS TO LIKE THE RULES HE IS GOING TO FACE WITH TPS .THEY HAVE 18 PLUS CARS ..HOW DO YOU FIGURE THAT ONE ....YOU KNOW WE CAN GO ON AND ON ABOULT THIS ..... I SAY NO MORE .WHAT DO YOU SAY ..

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...BTW, if I could afford it I would probably build a Chevette with a 2.0 or 2.2L . The Chevette we built back in the 90's weighed just over 1600 lbs. with driver. 500 lbs of ballast on the left side (about 62%) & it would corner like a slot car until you had to turn right to avoid a wreck.Then all bets are off.

I remember that Chevette just got rid of it a couple of months ago. only car my leg fell asleep in from holding the pedal to the floor (never lifted) ah the good old days :rolleyes:

That car was built with min. weight & max. strength in mind. All 1.5x.095 wall tubing & bars placed to max stiffness. Too bad the owner lost interest before building a good engine for it. Barb ran it after totalling her Scirocco, at least got it handling fairly well. Couldn't remember where it went.

B) boy am I glad I didn't try to add pecans to the pumpkin pie...calm down guys if we allowed jacks for the rwd we may include some other cars and I think the camber adjustment for fwd would yeild more than just better tire wear.....but remember it was only a Q not a rule adjustment. we will have a meeting soon have to get the sport mods and late models on board first and we hope to get that accomplished this sat at 1pm

i like ice cream with my pie ..mike ...we are not haveing a pie fight here ..just a bunch of old hard heads ..... you gave us something to talk aboult ....... pappy bobby burrows ran that car couple of times ...he is known on speed zone as tps 9. bb ....he scrapped it not to long ago .....

I looked in the rules and I did not see anything about using aluminum rims so does that mean we can ? steel racen rim cost $75 a rim you can buy aluminum rims for about $45 at a couple junk yards around town

From the Tx Thunder rules-

TIRES AND WHEELS

All tires will be D.O.T. approved street tires with the max. tread width of 7 1/4 inches. No racing recaps, no truck tires or racing tires of any type allowed. No cheater D.O.T.s, No Hoosier Brand Tires. THE TIRE RULE WILL BE MONITORED AND MAY BE ADJUSTED TO BENEFIT AND EQUAL COMPETITION IF NECESSARY. Any Steel Wheel will be permitted. Tires do not have to match in size.

Aluminum rims would cut unsprung & rotating weight which IS an ADVANTAGE over steel wheels.

Try petepaulsen.com for wheels, I've used them since 1992, 13x7's in raw steel are $40. All raw circle track rims up to 15x8 are $40.

...Aluminum rims would cut unsprung & rotating weight which IS an ADVANTAGE over steel wheels...

Correct. The lower the percentage of unsprung weight (the weight of the components that are not supported by the suspension) the better - for many different reasons that we cover in the seminar. Most of the high-dollar teams spend lots of money to reduce the weight of their unsprung components.

Nick

Without that pound of paint my wheels would RUST & fall apart in about a month! :rolleyes:

Besides, if I were really worried about weight I would have to get rid of the wind-up key, horses' tail, and my co-pilot Kermit. :angry: What would be the fun in that? :P

Pappy,

Mount that wind up key low and to the left. And so what if the wheels rust? Steel wool the rust off before you race. Every little bit of unsprung weight loss helps! Not only that, but think of all the money you'd save on paint! And the only reason I can think for keeping Kermie is if he's hiding the NO2 bottle.

Of course, I'm just kidding.

But weight and controlling weight transfer is the name of the game in short track racing. We spend six seminar hours just on weight, roll centers and what I call the "Magic Moment Arm." Well, you can read all about what we discuss in the flyer posted somewhere in the forums.

Nick

Archived