Cary's first report from N. C.

I just got off the phone with Cary, and he asked me to post for him, as they are having internet problems. If anyone is following the blog site, please stay tuned while they are working on it. Chase, help me out if I miss anything.

Cary said the trip went fine. Upon arrival at the facility, one of the first people he met inside the door was Joey Lagano. Said after interduction, Joey had heard about this championship. He said Joey used to drive the car Cary is going to be in, and it was a ROCKET....never finished out of 2nd place. He and Cary talked for about 20 minutes, and he gave Cary some real good pointers about the track, and the car. Cary was very impressed.

He and Kelli met and visited with Joe Gibbs for about thirty minutes in the conference room, and J.D. stayed with them and visited for about another hour.

He said the shops are absolutely unbelievable. Tomorrow they will be going to So. Boston Speedway to walk the track before his drive. Said he could not believe the job the team has done thus far. After they had obtained his fire suit measurements awhile back, today when they told him to climb in the car and tell them how the seat fit, it was absolutely perfect in every aspect.

Just one more item that he wanted me to mention to everyone, because it is important to him was the fact how gracious everyone is, from the top, to the bottom....from the owners, to all team members.

Okay, I'll shut up now before I start rambling...but he wanted everyone to know they are having a BLAST, and thanks again to EVERYONE who made this possible.

Hope I did'nt bore anyone.

Ed

That about covers it except for one little thing some of these Joey Logano fans might find interesting. Cary said there was an awesome looking Rat Rod parked outside the shop when he arrived. When Logano left, Cary learned that it was his, and he built it from the ground up. They guys at the shop told Cary that Joey is very good at things like that - pretty handy for a relatively young kid.

Cary, Best of luck during the test drive. I want to add that you are doing us all proud. Its a great feeling to see someone you know doing very well in this sport. Believe me its a tough game as you well know but you have the path to the top figured out. Good luck and I will be watching your progress.

Dano :D

Best of luck Termite. Have fun bro.

Just talked to Cary. Today they toured the Hendrick's shops, Rousch racing, and I think he said the Crawford Truck facilities. They also went to South Boston, the track where he will do the testing tomorrow. He said the facility was very impressive. He has been continually impressed at the treatment he and Kelli are receiving from Dennis Huth and company and the Gibbs racing folks. He said they have this program very well organized and thought-out. I'm sure he won't get a wink of sleep tonight.

Kelli is working on getting some pics on the blog now.

Be sure to check out the blog. Kelli has posted some awesome pictures and details on their adventure. I don't think any of us can even imagine the wonderful experience the Stapps are having - truly an "experience of a lifetime!" ASA has provided the local racers an opportunity that would be very difficult to attain otherwise.

ASA has provided the local racers an opportunity that would be very difficult to attain otherwise.

Absolutely! And thank you to all of the folks at THR that made it possible also. I assure you than a trip like this one was never on any of our minds when we started racing...and it's not over - the PRI show in December should be quite a good time for us also. Everybody please keep Cary in your thoughts for tomorrow as he hits the track.

Cary also told me, he walked the speedway 3 times yesterday, and compares it to HMP as far as configuration and physical condition. He said the cars are already there, and they have already brought in a team driver to shake down the car and develope a baseline. Before he drives, the team will share all the telemetery with him prior to goung out. Should help his braking, acceleration off, etc.. He feels much better and not so much at a disadvantage.

He also mentioned that he will have a CUP pit crew of 15 members tomorrow when he drives. I think he is still pinching himself.

And last, let me join Chase again, and THANK EVERYONE so much, and please think of Cary today.

Chase, THANKS for your hard work, dedication, professionalism, and TOTAL support of your brother and me.

And not to forget, Gunnar, LOVE YOU MAN, THANKS for all you do, and being a team member.

Ed

Just got word that the first test session is done. Cary had said that the Gibbs Camping Series driver ran the car yesterday to shake it down and make sure the setup was decent. He was running 16.20s. I'm hearing that Cary matched his times today in his first run and impressed the team and himself.

I think he has another run in a little while.

Talked to Kelli again a few minutes ago. She said he went back out for a second session and ran 16 flats - 2 tenths quicker than his first run. They were getting him belted into the second car when I called her.

I don't know if this means much, but the Camping World series pole time at this track in 2008 was a 16.04. Sounds like he's right where he needs to be. Kelli said it's crazy cold there today also.

Archived