Modifieds no longer IMCA sanctioned at I37 Raceway for 2009

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick,

First "Bitching" and now instigating? You have either loosened up or Greg is right and you have been in the Blues. Greg is a nice guy and a good racer and I enjoy racing with him. Although he pretty much kicked my rear (not sure if you let me say ass) all year, I think we will be more competitive as we gain more experience with this car and suspension set up. Plus I might have to use your name and sneak in the Harris Seminar. Have you done anything to make Harris mad where that would be a bad idea? I hope we do get to race him in the future and see if we can have a little more success. I guess if I-37 has another winter race we should just leave the old body on it. :D;)

Chip,

As Greg knows, TXSZ if fully supporting the Harris chassis seminar for the dirt community. You may have noted a couple threads and many posts encouraging folks to attend.

The weight transfer principles you learned (I hope you learned) in my asphalt seminar will help you put what you learn in the Harris seminar together in a nice, tidy package that will allow you to enjoy the sort of success that I know runs in your family.

While I would prefer that you use the term "beauteous maximus" instead of "ass," I have occasionally allowed folks to post that word on here.

Nick

Good for I37! I like IMCA but you cant argue car counts were always an issue. The mods are the show, people are coming for and will return for. Less then 10 most nights just wont get it done. With there being 3 outlaw tracks next door they really didnt have a choice but at least they finished out the season before pulling the plug. Now your half way there get the fender classes the same as Goliad and Edna for the same reasons. Of course no rules really matter if you dont respect the drivers and tell them to leave if they dont lke it.

Knock the I37 pure stocks down a notch to bombers. Street tires with stock springs and shocks. A true beginner class. Several current pure stocks qualify right now. This 4 cylinder thing aint the ticket for around here as a weekly class. Maybe a monthly enduro but not weekly.

Change the rule package for the i37 street stocks to match Edna and Goliad Bombers. Give those guys a Friday night option. There is a difference in rules but the class isnt big enough to worry about it. If you really want to consider the racer then these rules are cheaper and should produce a bigger car count. Several current I37 pure stocks can step right into this class basically graduating from the beginner class.

You already have the late model class moving in the direction you need. Last if you are going to charge $40 for a drivers pit pass then you have to find a way to pay better purses that is the #1 thing that needs addressing some how.

These suggestions are no means negative or bashing anything nor anyone just obvious ideas to get this track on course with neighbor tracks for the good of racing in this area!

Well since the track seems to be going with change, I think they should run a bi-weekly schedule and move to Saturdays that is opposite of Texana's schedule and some how get STS to race on Fridays. This way racer's will have three options to race. JMO.

I can't see how anyone can say that an IMCA motor would be competitive with an open rule motor. If the right track conditions are in place maybe, but not for ever track condition.

You can build an engine following IMCA rules that makes a lot of horsepower. The guys running in the front are not running junk. With weight penalties in front of the engine for open enigines, 8" tires and dry Texas tracks, they can be competitive. It just so happens that a lot (not all) of the guys that are pretty sharp with chassis prefer not running a claimer class. The reason is because when they get their chassis working real well and pulling other cars off the corners, the guys getting beat think it is all horsepower and the claim rule can come into effect.

I sure hope I-37 hasnt shot itself in the foot, and the good news is theres still time for them to come to their senses.

many reasons

1. insurance, at a more affordable rate

2. the money the imca puts into advertising nation wide is astronomical

3. the tracks availabilty to out of the area racers

4. a fantastic set of rules

5. the ability of your drivers to be ranked and recognized nationally

i could go on

i have been on the racer side of this un fortunately too many times..i will relate 1 such debacle

We had a very competitive sprint car class, carburated, self starting wingless on gas rather than alky (those days alky was much more expensive) well a few deep pocket people got in the ear of the promoter, and fed him a line of cock and bull. if we open up the rules then cars from everywhere can come race with us. So, it began carbs were replaced with injectors, push vehicles were now required, and alky was the fuel of choice..it didnt take long to realize that all those cars werent going to visit our humble facility, the true outlaw tracks were paying much more money to win. and bty half season the same 3 deep pocket racers would win...following year sprints got the boot..havent been backto that track since

until

INCA sanctioned sprint cars, cost effective, national rules and yes with a claim...

those who want to build monster motors, let em go, they are the true sportsmen any track wants

race the modifieds less, offer bigger purses on specific nights and your car count will increase, for a good money show you will pull lots of cars from all over the state

ust my thoughts

Burner

Are you saying you are going to pitch in a little extra in the purse if I win? :D

Don't be mad at me just because I would like to race against the best mod drivers in the area like Hardcastle, Brown, Whiteaker, Jr, Mikulencak, White, etc. Of course they will kick our rears to start with but maybe we can learn a little and eventually be competitive.

Good luck at KSP next year Greg.

Brake bar? I'll have to look that one up. :D

If anyone shot themselves in the foot it was the out of town IMCA drivers that never came to i37. The few locals that supported them every race are the ones that lost out. Thats unfortunate for them but if they went back to imca what would change? Probably nothing, its all about numbers and there isnt enough locals. Of course no rules will work if you dont respect the drivers and tell them to leave if they dont like it.

My personal opinion is that one of the reasons IMCA does not make it is from the lack of timing and support from IMCA itself, and the amount of money that the track has to pay them each race. When Edna was sanctioned I never once seen an IMCA official visit the track, however when we went to Abilene there was a big dog hanging out all three days shaking hands and whispering pretty words. If IMCA would have sponsored a meeting with Corpus, Edna, Pleasington all at the same time and gave them some sort of first year incentive then it may have stuck but to try and recruit them one at a time aint gonna work. The tracks are too close to one another to have different rules. Which is where they are now, same rules, just not to IMCA’s advantage. The motor claim rule only bothered me when it was 500 and that was it, but since they put in the swap and/or rule it don’t bother me at all. The way I see it is, if their motor was good enough to get them to forth, then its competitive for the class. I would swap in a heartbeat, but I wouldn’t sell it for 500 bucks ever. I am glad there is still another track that remains open to run at, whatever they needed to do to accomplish that. I hope it works out.

Its just my opinion, not pointing any fingers at any person or track.(well maybe IMCA a little)

Victor.....I can tell for a fact the IMCA did give I-37 a lot of breaks/incentives the first year they were sanctioned...as for South Texas or Texana...I have no honest answer. Any IMCA track was required to have an IMCA certified tech man, whether it be a local guy or the regional rep. Yes you are going to see buttloads of officials at big sanctioned shows......it's been like that since the first time I went to Southern Challenge back 12-13 years ago. You should see how many there are at the Supernationals....

I find it highly humorous that there are so many tracks(everywhere) that say.....IMCA rules except.....blah, blah, blah for their mods or other classes for that matter. Point is..... all those "excepts" are money burners. Claim rules were put in by IMCA to keep the class cost effective/self policed. I'm sure no one wants to lose a 10-20K motor for $500.....DUH.....but you can get a good Blaines claimer, or JR Motorsports engine for around 5K. Probably other places, but these two I know to be factual....I'll repeat.....there's no real sense in all that power if you can't hook it up, on these dry tracks, with skinny, hardass tires. My point...if EVERYONE has motors around the same price, it's set up and driving style that wins the race....not cubic horsedollars. Everyone on the playing field is equal, competitive and guess what....no one wants swap one 5K motor for another 5k motor...Though personally I think the recently added swap part sucks.

Danielson.....I talk to guys(IMCA guys) all over the state....trust me it's NOT IMCA's fault that they didn't want to tow to Pleasanton. You, of all people, should understand my point here!!!!

Sprintsrule...if you wanted to race with those guys, all you had to do is tow to Texana or Corpus!!! I seriously doubt you'll see many of them at I-37 very frequently now either...JMHO You'll still have about the same 1-10, or 1-8 chances to win every race either way. Did you ever get those parts prices for me????

Well Mr. Hallas aint it great to live in the USA where you can have your opinion and I shall have mine.

I thought the $500 cliam rule sucked and put some small time guys (like me) without a motor to race with the next week. I also didnt recall saying they never offered any incentives, I was more talking about timing... and no I dont want to get into a pissing match, thats why I didnt use anyones name on the first post or use the reply button.

"If IMCA would have sponsored a meeting with Corpus, Edna, Pleasington all at the same time and gave them some sort of first year incentive then it may have stuck but to try and recruit them one at a time aint gonna work."

"If IMCA would have sponsored a meeting with Corpus, Edna, Pleasington all at the same time and gave them some sort of first year incentive then it may have stuck but to try and recruit them one at a time aint gonna work."

Victor, I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest either......just stating facts to your assumptions.... :D

See ya next weekend...at least yell duck if you're going to throw rocks at me.... :lol::lol::lol:

Geez...how many times did you get claimed anyway??? ;)

IGUESS THATS WHERE THE PARK IN THE FIELD IMCA CAME FROM :blink: I AM LIKE I SAID DONE GOING OVER IT ITS A LOST CAUSE OUR PLANS HAVE CHANGED SO SEE YA EVERY 2 WEEKS KSP RICKY SURE IS A NICE GUY AND ROB RUNS A HECK OF A SHOW SO I GUESS SEE YAAAAAAAAAAA :ph34r: AND YES REB SOUNDS LIKE U GOT CHUNKED AT LOOK OUT I WILL NOT SIT NEXT TO YA WITHOUT MY HARD HAT SEE YA AT EDNA YEP I WILL BE THERE AND I WILL PARK IN THE FIELD WITH MY RV :lol::lol:

I got to agree with Jay. You can only put so much power to the ground with the "hockey pucks" called G60's (I don't care whether their made by Hoosier or AR). The motor we ran at the last I37 race was a 355 CID, flat top, stock stroke motor. We only had a 4" spoiler the car. Greg, as you found out, all those cubes don't do a bit of good if you can't get it to the ground. In order to get the car competitive, we never touched the engine. We just went to work on the chassis and put the best geometry we could for dry slick on it. We were easily pulling the big cube and stroker guys because the car was hooking up off the turn.

I don't particularly agree with droping IMCA (although I totally disagree with the claim rule), but the track has made that decision and we have to live with it or pull North. I say, for all you guys running claimer motors, put a spoiler on and quit bitchin' :rolleyes: . Start working on the chassis and you might be suprised.

Archived