ASA Member Track Champion preparing for tryout with Joe Gibbs Racing

AMERICAN SPEED ASSOCIATION MEMBER TRACK CHAMPION PREPARING FOR HIS TRYOUT WITH JOE GIBBS RACING

By: Kevin Ramsell

DAYTONA BEACH, FL (Friday, November 07, 2008) – Cary Stapp, the 2008 American Speed Association Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil Member Track National Champion, is keeping a close eye on his calendar and getting anxious as he is getting close to his tryout with Joe Gibbs Racing. Stapp will get his opportunity to show his talents on Wednesday, November 19th at South Boston Motor Speedway in South Boston, VA.

“I’m anxious, very anxious,” Stapp recently stated. “I’m not really nervous about it, this is going to be a once in a lifetime experience. Actually, I am more anxious about getting in the car then being nervous.”

Stapp will have a busy three days ahead of him. On Monday, November 17th, Stapp will go to the Joe Gibbs Racing shop where he will receive a tour, get fitted in the car he will be testing, meet with representatives from Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil, and JD Gibbs. There will be photos and dinner later.

“They called me and asked for my measurements, they want to make sure I fit well in the car,” Stapp stated. “Getting the opportunity to visit the shop, right there will make the trip worth it. I have seen pictures of their shop on the internet and it’s like the dream shop I wished I had.”

Stapp has also been doing his homework on the famous South Boston Motor Speedway. “Trey Mitchell, who races at South Boston, used to race at Thunderhill Raceway in Kyle, TX, so I, got a hold of him and got some pointers,” Stapp said. “He is a local Texas guy who moved up there and he said it’s a lot my home track. The fast groove is on the bottom. It’s a lot like Thunderhill but not so technical.”

His goal is to get into Gibbs development program but he is honored at just having the opportunity to showcase his talents to one of the top teams in NASCAR. “If anything, I am going to come away with a lot great memories, like I said earlier this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Stapp is a full-time electrician who is married to his wife Kelli and has a 13-year-old stepson named Trey and a 10-year-old daughter Mikala.

“I get three weeks of vacation a year, and the few days I have left will be used for this opportunity,” Stapp stated with a smile in his voice.

“All of us at Joe Gibbs Racing are looking forward to meeting Cary Stapp,” JD Gibbs stated. “We are looking forward to seeing him showcase his talents behind the wheel of one of our Toyota Camry’s. Not only will it be a great opportunity for him, but it is a unique opportunity for Joe Gibbs Racing in our continuous search of finding the best talent racing at short tracks across the United States today.”

“Cary will be a great representative as the first American Speed Association Member Track National Champion,” Dennis Huth, American Speed Association President stated. “For us to provide an opportunity to tryout with a great NASCAR team like Joe Gibbs Racing to someone who races for fun on the weekends is something that you can hardly put into words. It will be fun to watch Cary at his tryout and I know he will make the most of it and enjoy the experience.”

Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil, sponsor of the American Speed Association National Short Track National Championship, is the same oil developed and used by Joe Gibbs Racing. The team sells the oil so racers across the country can have access to the latest technology in racing lubricants.

Joe Gibbs Racing is one of the premier organizations in NASCAR, currently fielding three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams, two NASCAR Nationwide Series teams and a driver development program. Its driver lineup consists of Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch in the Sprint Cup Series; Stewart, Hamlin, and Busch in the Nationwide Series; and Joey Logano and Marc Davis in the NASCAR Camping World Series East. Based in Huntersville, N.C., and owned by Joe Gibbs - a three-time Super Bowl winner as head coach of the Washington Redskins and a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame - JGR has competed in NASCAR since 1992, winning three Cup Series championships and more than 80 NASCAR races, including three Brickyard 400s and the 1993 Daytona 500.

The American Speed Association Short Track National Championship is another step by the industry leader in creating new and innovative programs. This follows the recent announcement about extending the insurance coverage for ASA members traveling to, from, and during an ASA-sanctioned event. For updated ASA National Points, just click on the "Points" link at www.asa-racing.com.

The American Speed Association Member Track program is comprised of a network of short tracks around the United States, as well as a variety of regional and national touring series. For more information, call (386) 258-2221 or send an e-mail to info@asa-racing.com. For news and information from all the racetracks and tours involved in the ASA, visit www.ASA-Racing.com.

post-29-1226358351_thumb.jpg

Cary,

My best to you in this upcoming test drive. I know you will impress Mr. Gibbs and his entire team and since Mark Martin may be leaving Cup racing after this next season, there is definitely an opening for Mr. Clean behind the wheel at that level. Show them what you are made of Cary.

Good Luck.

Dano :D

Chase, I agree. And to both of you youngsters Chase, and Cary, time is drawing near...and one more time, at the risk of being overbearing, let me express how proud of you guys I am. Cary, I know you are very anxious (understandable), but remember what I told you before each race during the season....just go out there and do what you do best!

Kelli, you know what you have to do for me and Chase.

Cary, what a awesome opportunity you have in front of you. Enjoy it all to the fullest, you deserve it! Who knows what could come of this. Your competition must be hoping they sign you to a lifetime contract so they don't have to see the back of that 99 anymore. Congrats to your whole family and team , you are all great representatives of Thunderhill Raceway. Steve (former stormer)

I have two more pic's...tehehe.

All I can say is...JUST GO HAVE FUN FIRST, and let the rest take care of itself.

Good luck man, represent!

And as far as seeing the back of the 99, we hope that won't stop anytime soon, either one of em. Good luck to the both of you next year, Cary and Chase!

Cary,

I like what your daddy said, just go out there and do what you do best. Have fun doing it. No matter what the outcome is everyone is already proud of you.

I send my best of luck to you. You still have that penny?

And Ed, how are you feeling?

Cary I cant wate to see photos of the try out and contract :D We all know how godd a driver you are and i don't think we need to wish you good luck because you have shown over and over that you make your on luck by the way you drive there is no other driver that is as smoth as you that is fact. :rolleyes::blink::lol::unsure:B)

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. This is going to be a blast and I'm just really happy to be able to represent THR. My wife is going to set up a blog for anyone interesed in tracking the whole trip. I will post the address when she sets it up. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. This is going to be a blast and I'm just really happy to be able to represent THR. My wife is going to set up a blog for anyone interesed in tracking the whole trip. I will post the address when she sets it up. Thanks again.

Blog hell, you better be calling us :lol:

who would have dreamed that someone running at thunderhill could ever have this chance ...where it goes . hope all the way .. you have to say a ton of thanks to mary ann and her husband for working thier tails off with keeping thunderhill open .so gary and family good fullfill a dream he may have thought would or could of ever happened ....goes to show you local tracks have the oppertunity be part of someones future ..texas has alot of good racers here top notch . and maybe just maybe this will help in getting those big time sponsors and race teams looking alittle closer a our local drivers .and tracks ...good luck gary .tps teams are rooting for you ...........hey could i hitch a ride ....

i met cary in 1998, we were both pretty awful on the track. over a short period of time we became real good friends. over the years we have become very good friends, probably the best friend i'll ever have in racing (outside of family). i hate getting beat but i love racing with him,,,,,so it's kind of a rock and a hard place. :D

....and not to sound all girly but it is kinda sad because i feel like an era of my racing is gone. i won't have countless chances to race against one of the best drivers i've ever raced against,,,,may never again.

-i just want you to know it has been an honor to have you as a friend and a competitor.

thanX

This is SOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!! I think I may be more anxious than you. I can't wait till you have completed your run, and let everyone know how it went. This is like waiting to go on that long awaited spectacular vacation. You know the kind you plan for years in advance. It just seems like it isn't happening fast enough.

My prayers will be with you. Good Luck & Be Safe

Mona Turner

i met cary in 1998, we were both pretty awful on the track. over a short period of time we became real good friends. over the years we have become very good friends, probably the best friend i'll ever have in racing (outside of family). i hate getting beat but i love racing with him,,,,,so it's kind of a rock and a hard place. :D

....and not to sound all girly but it is kinda sad because i feel like an era of my racing is gone. i won't have countless chances to race against one of the best drivers i've ever raced against,,,,may never again.

-i just want you to know it has been an honor to have you as a friend and a competitor.

thanX

I'm kinda worried about the same thing!!!! I guess he can make a guest appearance on an off weekend.

Archived