30 Years ago...................

txtom

We took a trip out to the remains of Pan American this afternoon, 30 years after it closed for good.

For those on this forum who were there so many years ago, this may be hard to view...................

#1, My grandson Michael and my Dad Tom Sr look to turn 4 from the top of turn 3.

#2, Top of 3 looking back at the backstretch

#3, Middle of turn 4.

#4, Michael shows ya how tall the weeds are.

#5, Turn 4, looking down the infield "X" towards turn 2.

#6, Lucian Wallace revisits the winner's circle area near the flag box.

#7, Lucian and Eddy Wallace on the frontstretch. Lucian's first race at Pan American was on a go-cart in the

60's. Eddy's first race was in a wagon.

#8, Turn 1 area looking back down the X to turn 3.

#9, Eddy Wallace looking down at the remains of turn 2.

#10, Lucian, Tom SR, Michael, and Eddy posing by the concrete area of the backstretch wall.

#11, Me with the guys this time.

#12, The X as seen from turn 2 back to turn 4.

#13, The backstretch seen from turn 2. That tree is almost dead center in the track.

#14, Backstretch from turn 3.

#15, The late afternoon sun settles on the frontstretch one more time.....................................

post-21-1225591393_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591405_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591417_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591427_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591434_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591447_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591454_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591483_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591505_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591538_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591551_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591562_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591575_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225591601_thumb.jpg

post-21-1225592117_thumb.jpg

That was a cool little track Tom. I didn't get down there from Austin all that often. But, as Marvin said, it was an easy drive from South Austin. I never went there that I didn't see a great evening's show.

Then it closed. Someone told me another track had been built somewhere out near Poteet they said. Back then I didn't even know where Poteet was. Only about 30 years later did I ever figure out where that "new track" actually was. It took the Romco series to ever finally get me down there, and by then it was a long haul from my north Austin home down there and back in one evening. I still miss that Pan Am track on Toepperwein Rd.

OK Tom, for Longhorn lets see..... maybe get Bobby Joe New to pose in the pics.

And at SAS maybe ....... The Kelly Brothers, or Hubert Bean....

C'mon guys and gals, who would be excellent representatives for their respective tracks.

Just for fun,

Mel

IMO, the one person (or maybe better yet family) that would represent it....as far as being there for more years, being there pretty much every night of racing for most of the years, and probably (far and away) logging more miles at that old speedplant than most competitors.....

Larry Bendele....and family....

Billy

Looks about the same as when I took my wife out there a couple of years ago. Brought out a lot of memories. It was a great place with great people. Too bad all you guys got old!!! My wife gets tired of me telling Pan-Am stories, but there are so many...don't get me started. But I do recall Nick Holt was only half as old as dirt.

Tom

Those pics bring back alot of good memories shame to see the place looking so shabby. I remember PAS from the time I was as little guy running behind the stands with a checkered flag (purchased at Col. Ted Hoods picture Booth) till the last summer when Jim Creech and I worked together in the pits, someday we will all have to put all of our stories together and who knows maybe some of them will be true

Great pics!! I think I'll go out to Meyer Speedway in a few days and snap some. Someone on here did that awhile back. I've been wanting to go out there and taking pic would give me a good excuse. Not much left out there but weeds and trees.........................

• 1 month later...

Archived