WoO Texas Showdown

Texas Motor Speedway Media Relations, (817) 215-8520

Gary Guehler

-- For Immediate Release

‘YOUNG GUNS’ READY TO STAR IN TEXAS SHOWDOWN

FORT WORTH-DALLAS (March 12, 2003) – Talk among sprint car fans for the past two decades has been how the “Young Guns” were ready to move up and start ruling the O’Reilly World of Outlaws. The time may be now for the latest “new breed” of sprint car stars to shine starting Friday and Saturday nights, March 28-29 during the Texas Showdown at the Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track.

Sprint car legends such as Steve Kinser, Danny Lasoski and Mark Kinser not only have won many of past years’ O’Reilly World of Outlaws races but a majority of the championships as well, 20 of the first 25. The dominance includes WoO races at the Dirt Track with the trio visiting Victory Lane in five of the six feature events since 2000.

But things may be changing in “The Greatest Show on Dirt.” Young talent such as former WoO Gumout Series champions Daryn Pittman and Tyler Walker along with teenager Kraig Kinser, Steve Kinser’s son, form the nucleus of the new breed. Many expect this group to make their mark in 2003.

“One of our goals for this season is to win more of the larger races,” said Pittman, driver of the Hop & Sack Store J&J Mopar sprint car. “This includes those with history such as the Knoxville Nationals and races in combination with NASCAR weekends. Winning at Texas in front of a large crowd would be great.

“We have been racing very good so far this season. The Mopar engine is everything we thought it would be. We want to be consistent and shoot for a top-five finish in the point standings.”

The “Greatest Bargain in Dirt Racing,” Dirt Track season tickets offering seats for all four nights of O’Reilly World of Outlaws action March 28-29 and October 10-11 for just $80, will be available only through this weekend. Dirt Track season tickets and individual tickets for the Texas Showdown are available daily at the speedway and by calling the ticket hotline at (817) 215-8500.

# # #

Texas Motor Speedway Media Relations, (817) 215-8520

Gary Guehler

-- For Immediate Release

TYLER WALKER READY TO STEP UP IN TEXAS SHOWDOWN

FORT WORTH-DALLAS (March 13, 2003) – Tyler Walker isn’t the typical sprint car driver. Before a race, the cap is backwards and he may be wearing an earring and cargo pants. But when Walker puts on his driving suit for the March 28-29 Texas Showdown for O’Reilly World of Outlaws sprint cars at the Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track, he may be doing back flips, literally.

Walker celebrates victories with his trademark flips. The Californian is hoping to show Dirt Track fans back flips Friday and Saturday night at the Showdown.

Tyler Walker represents a new beginning for the O’Reilly World of Outlaws series. A youth movement involving Walker, Daryn Pittman, Kraig Kinser, Donny Schatz and Jason Sides may be ready to begin filling victory lanes across the country, taking over from legends Steve Kinser, Danny Lasoski and Mark Kinser.

Walker is coming off a championship run, winning the 2002 World of Outlaws Gumout Series title for Oklahoman owners Wallace and Coeta Ledford. The goal for 2003 is to start replacing 17-time champion Steve Kinser in victory lanes.

“It’s going to take a whole lot more things for me to beat Kinser than I have total control over,” said Walker. “I’m going to try my hardest and I’m sure my crew chief and all my guys are going to do the same.

“We have beat him before, he is the toughest, and he will always be the toughest. But I believe that I have matured quite a bit. First I thought the only way to beat him was to never lift the pedal. That’s kind of the only way to beat him, to lift off the pedal. I’m learning how to be more patient, stay out of trouble and use the throttle to help me rather than hurt me.”

Dirt Track season tickets, priced at just $80 for all four nights of 2003 O’Reilly World of Outlaws action at the Dirt Track, are available only through this weekend. Season tickets and individual Dirt Track event tickets are available at the speedway or by calling the ticket hotline at (817) 215-8500.

# # #

Archived