'Dega farce and other worthless junk

rebelracewriter

Jayski.com had the NASCAR official explanation on their site yesterday. As I understood it, one can not advance his position when racing below the yellow line. Supposedly all drivers were briefed on that prior to the race and all initialed a statement saying they understood it. And the official review of the tapes showed that Stewart did not force him to go low, rather Smith went low to pass. Smith's penalty for that pass was that he was put back to the end of the longest line on that lap and that happened to be 18th. NASCAR acknowledged had he not passed Stewart he would have been awarded 2nd place.

I know we all may not agree with this but they did follow the rules. It was a tough break for Regan Smith

but he will be able to say forever that he actually won Talledega but it was taken away. Kind of makes it a hollow victory for Stewart knowing he crossed that line second. :huh:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, i didnt read every post, so maybe this was mentioned already. I may have saw it wrong as well, but didnt Smith complete the pass AFTER he came back above the yellow line? I didnt' DVR it so havent seen a replay yet. At that moment, it looked like he was forced below the line, came back up side by side THEN pulled ahead of Tony. Again, it was a long race and I was busy jumping up and down for the underdog so I may be wrong. :)

<confused>

-Jr

OK just watched the replay on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyB9SqzovCs Smith was forced below the yellow line. If he would have held his line, Stewart would've come across his RF bumper and spun. Smith did no wrong IMO. He did however complete the pass while still below the yellow line. Lesson learned: DO NOT GO BELOW THE YELLOW LINE, if the leader is coming across your front, DONT LEAVE YOUR LINE & DONT LET UP, SPIN HIS ARSE OUT!

Leave it to NASCAR to create contraversy which is how they have grown their fanbase for decades.

Provided in a handout to all NASCAR drivers and crew chiefs before the 'Dega race:

“This is your warning: race above the yellow line. If, in NASCAR’S judgment, you go below the yellow line to improve your position, you will be black-flagged. If in NASCAR’s judgment you force someone below the yellow line (in an effort to stop him from passing you), you may be black-flagged.”

“During the last lap of yesterday’s race at Talladega Superspeedway the driver of the No. 01 violated NASCAR policy by driving under the yellow line to improve his position,” said NASCAR President Mike Helton. “In NASCAR’s opinion he was not forced below the yellow line. NASCAR correctly took immediate action to enforce the policy by penalizing the No. 01 and scoring the No. 20 as the race winner.”

---Sometimes I wonder if NASCAR is watching the same replays as the rest of the world. See YouTube link above & judge for yourself.

-Jr

I keep hearing about the big name team winning. Isn't DEI a big name team?

Not anymore it would seem. None of their drivers made the Chase, and 3 of the 4 (not counting Mark Martin) drivers are pretty well unknown. I don't think they've even won a race this season.

If they can't go below the yellow line at Talladega or Daytona, then they might as well stop letting them race below the yellow line at Vegas, Kansas, Chicago, and a few other tracks that they dip below the line. Let 'em race, this ain't football.

yea buddy you said it ..rubble sticks .big ones ..that should do it ..

<_< I'm not sure which replay Mike Helton or the other officials were watching, but I saw #20 come down for the block. So, Now as a driver do you???

(1) Dive down to stay away from the car :(

(2) Back off and let a car ram you in the back at 200 MPH :angry:

(3) Put your right front fender on his left rear quarter (and we know what happens then) ;)

(4) Accept the fact you got the screws from FRANCECAR and ended up 18th, but you showed you got some cajones!!! :P

I think #3 is my answer. Lenny66 B)

I guess it depends upon the current interpretation of rules. This was taken from Jayski.

Below yellow line at Daytona/Talladega OK on last lap? NO UPDATE 3: This was posted back in Feb 2007 about the Truck Series race at Daytona. The 'rule' was metnioned at the end of ABC's broadcast, but NASCAR ruled otherwise.

Drivers throughout the Craftsman Truck Series garage were still talking about last week's [Feb 2007] three-wide finish at Daytona International Speedway. While they admitted the finish was good for television, most wondered why NASCAR allowed Johnny Benson to drive below the yellow line - Daytona's out of bounds line - to jump from third to second in the final 200 yards. Benson wasn't penalized because "if you can see the checkered flag on the last lap, anything goes," according to NASCAR spokesman Owen Kearns.(Augusta Chronicle)(2-24-2007/10-5-2008), no word on the exact ruling, problem with the ruling? take it up with NASCAR, contact info on my Racing FAQ/Contact NASCAR page.

from NASCAR: Post-Race Comments from NASCAR Vice President of Corporate Communications Jim Hunter Talladega Superspeedway, Oct. 5, "You cannot improve your position anytime you go below the yellow line. In our judgment, he (Regan Smith) improved his position and the penalty for that is a pass thru, so he was moved back to the tail end of the longest line or 18th position. At the driver's meeting, we clearly state that you cannot improve your position by going below the yellow line. We do not feel he was forced below the yellow line. Anytime you get into a situation like this, there are going to be two different opinions. We respect Regan's view, but we made the call, we think it's the right call and the finish is final. NASCAR has to maintain some kind of control – and that's the reason we say, you cannot advance your position by going below the yellow line. If he had not improved his position, he probably would have been awarded 2nd place."(NASCAR)(10-5-2008)

UPDATE: Smith and even Johnson, the two-time defending champion, said after the race they thought that the rules were not as tight coming to the finish line. A NASCAR spokesman stated publicly after a controversial truck race finish at Daytona in February 2007 that such was the case. Hunter, speaking for NASCAR on Sunday, said that was not true. "From what the officials tell me, it was pretty black and white,'' Hunter said of the decision. "You can't advance your position. It doesn't matter how you get there. It's a no-no.''(Roanoke Times)

UPDATE 2: Talladega Drivers Meeting: THIS IS YOUR WARNING DRIVERS: Race Director -David Hoots told the drivers and crew chief’s today “This is your warning. If you race below the yellow line and in the judgement of NASCAR you advance your position, you will be black flagged. If, in NASAR’s judgement you force someone below the yellow line in an effort to stop him from passing you , you may be black flagged” Hoots added: “Aggressive driving zones..first off don’t place yourself in position of opening up in our judgement of what’s aggressive. It’s considered all the way around the race track with much emphasis and observation placed on the turns and in the tri-oval. If you think that you are getting ready to go over being aggressive back off and let’s get to the end of the race." Hoots also warned the group about speeding. “I would remind you all we had numerous speeding penalties yesterday at the entrance and exits and yellow line to yellow line,” he said. NO Questions: When asked by Hoots if there were any questions - the room of drivers and crew chiefs was silent.(Dialed in/Claire B. Lang)

UPDATE 3: NASCAR Rule Clarification Regarding Passing At Daytona International Speedway And Talladega Superspeedway: At yesterday's Drivers Meeting, NASCAR reiterated the rule about passing under the yellow line and provided the same information to all drivers and crew chiefs in a hand out, as we've done in past Daytona and Talladega races. The verbatim language is: "This is your warning: race above the yellow line. If, in NASCAR'S judgment, you go below the yellow line to improve your position, you will be black-flagged. If in NASCAR's judgment you force someone below the yellow line (in an effort to stop him from passing you), you may be black-flagged."

"During the last lap of yesterday's race at Talladega Superspeedway the driver of the #01 violated NASCAR policy by driving under the yellow line to improve his position," said NASCAR President Mike Helton. "In NASCAR's opinion he was not forced below the yellow line. NASCAR correctly took immediate action to enforce the policy by penalizing the #01 and scoring the #20 as the race winner."

Helton continued, "Since the end of the race there has been some confusion as to what is allowable during the last lap at Daytona and Talladega. To be clear, as we go forward, there will be no passing under the yellow line at any time during NASCAR races at Daytona or Talladega, period. This includes any passing below the yellow line near the start/finish line on the final lap," said Helton.(NASCAR PR)(10-6-2008) Comment here

Maybe he means Barney Rubble standing the track edge with Bam-Bam's big-ass stick to whack cars that go below the yellow line.......you know how oldtimer thinks!!!

Lenny, I kind of prefer your option #4......

Maybe NA$CAR should just throw everyone's car number in a helmet and draw for finish positions....anymore they have pretty much taken the "R" out of NA$CAR and added a $ to replace the "S" :angry:

Next time somebody gets their nose underneath and gets chopped off like that, they will have the big one at the finish line and then they will have one hell of a mess trying to figure out who was where when the caution came out. If you are going to be put at the end of the lead lap cars for dodging an obvious block then you might as well stay there and see what happens. You could not finish any further back so why back off?

Maybe he means Barney Rubble standing the track edge with Bam-Bam's big-ass stick to whack cars that go below the yellow line.......you know how oldtimer thinks!!!

Lenny, I kind of prefer your option #4......

Maybe NA$CAR should just throw everyone's car number in a helmet and draw for finish positions....anymore they have pretty much taken the "R" out of NA$CAR and added a $ to replace the "S" :angry:

Yes Sir, Definately taking the "R" out of Cup Racing!!! If Smith would have come back up and bumped

"Subway Boy", it would have been a hell of a mess to figure out who ended up where, they would have made a scapegoat out of the boy and #20 would still be crying!!! I say take the plates off and let 'em fly!!!

At least my boy Clint ended up 5th. Lenny66 B)

and yet Johnny Bensens pass under the yellow line in feb. 07 to finish second in the truck race was ruled as " as long as its within sight of the checkard flag" a legal pass. So WTF Nascar?

POINTS RACING? Jimmie

Obviously you didn't watch the race.....Jimmie admitted it on the in-car video/audio.... :angry:

Ummm... Not only did I watch it, I have it TIVO'D...STILL...

See, unlike you, I like it and watch it, I don't HATE it and BASH IT, and yet still for some reason, you are tuned in and watching it EVERY WEEKEND...

NEXT.... <_<

Note to self:

1) If the greasy butterball tries to push his weight around, punt his arse.

2) Remember greasy butterball complains about everything anyways (see rule #1)

He is a flippin whining loser. Im surprised he actually won in a Toyota, now he has to eat his own worthless words... (cry me a river!)

Smith won...

Are you trying to say he was driving like Dale, Senior?

Had this conversation before:

Never liked senior, but love Jr. Seniors driving style did nothing for me but make me cheer for whomever he was banging on...

Ummm... Not only did I watch it, I have it TIVO'D...STILL...

See, unlike you, I like it and watch it, I don't HATE it and BASH IT, and yet still for some reason, you are tuned in and watching it EVERY WEEKEND...

NEXT.... <_<

Dawn,

I don't watch the races on TV. Way too boring. I tune in to the football games now and before football I found other things to watch. I go to the NASCAR home page on my puter and set it on leaderboard and then occasionally go in to see how the race is progressing. Then when its down to the last few laps and the finish seems close, I will tune it in only to watch the finish. Read the statistics on TV viewership on Jayski.com and you will see that most races are dropping viewers. That might go up a bit now since the gasoline crunch is keeping people away from the track, but there has not been any big increases according to Jayski.

NASCAR is still the big boy on the block so people will keep watching and yes they will complain about many of the new rules. But face it, there are those among the fan base that thought NASCAR went to hell in a handbag when they quit racing on the beach..

yet still for some reason, you are tuned in and watching it EVERY WEEKEND...

I'm a channel hopper by nature....

Once the Cowbaby's game looked to be in the bag, I changed over......had I known they were going to let the score get close, I maybe wouldn't have switched channels...

Beside's if I don't know THE TRUTH as to what is going on I have no ammuntion for you!!! :lol::lol:

i watched the last 5 laps (that is about the same for every nascar race). the decision stinks but it has us all talking. was nascar right in their thinking that this controversy would be good for them? or would it have been better to be talking about a rookie getting his 1st win and stewhead beating some woman in the media down because she asked him what he thought about nascars decision?

......and zippy is a crybaby. he needs to give some of that midol to tony (i swear the guy is not right in the eyes, he needs mental testing).tony not zippy

Budman. Smith being forced below the yellow line would be a very close call no matter how many times you watch it. Nascar made the call and many didn't like it and it does leave a bad taste when fans remember Bodine doing a similiar move in a truck race and getting the victory. I think there are many of these type judgment calls that are determined by who is involved and that goes for other series besides NASCAR .

NASCAR's yellow line policy is there to keep each other from wrecking. So, now they have a policy that encourages wrecking. At ALL COSTS, do not go below the yellow line, even if it means wrecking the guy in front of you. When a car tries high, and then low, and the guy in front goes high, then low, to block, he deserves to get turned, punted, wrecked, slammed, and whatever. A driver that has a run on someone going for the win should not have to have his hands tied. He saved lots of money by going below the line, there would have at least been 1 wrecked car, if not more, if he had stayed above the line. I have watched a total of maybe 100 laps this season of NASCAR. I come in to watch a few laps, then go work on real race cars. Sorry, I think NASCAR just WRECKED a bunch of cars, because now it is going to be a blocking wreckfest at the Daytona 500.

Archived