'Dega farce and other worthless junk

rebelracewriter

Who should have really won? Yes Smith passed below the line, but was clearly forced there. Should he have just turned Smoke into th infield?

Jimmie points racing----which according to some expert doesn't happen in a Chase format.

More tire issues.

Team mates taking each other out...but at least Carl nutted up and took responsibility, other drivers need to pay attention to this.

Saw LOTS of people dressed as empty seat on the front stretch.

Your opinions/views......and remember Nick is watching......

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess what NASCAR is trying to say by that call is it’s okay to drive someone down and off the track. If Reagan had come up and punted Big-T, he probably would have been called for rough driving. I think it would have been different if Reagan made a move to run below the line to pass. It sure as heck looked like Big-T ran him low.

I can’t believe someone would celebrate so much knowing they drove dirty to win. Wait! It was not dirty driving because NASCAR condones it.

On a lighter note, at least Carl sucked it up and admitted he messed up.

Are you trying to say he was driving like Dale, Senior?

now that is funny...

It doesn't matter who you are. I bet if the car that gets run low makes a hard right turn, he won't get run low by that other driver again. I'm not saying wrecking cars is the way to go, but some drivers would rather run you off the track than let you race them.

i swear i heard on yesterday's truck race at talladega that on the last lap you CAN pass below the yellow line. whatever...i can see why nascar has empty seats. also looks like ksat is leaving time warner so i'll have too read about the races after charlotte. its ok i have my pass south dvs's too watch..lol

sucks for smith, but rules are rules. it would be like a football player catching a winning hailmary pass out of bounds and winning the game. i bet next time he either tries to make it stick on the high side or he takes the leader out. either way, i bet he doesn't go below the yellow like to win the race. smith would have never been in that position anyway if the tires and bone head moves didnt take out half the field. lol.

This kind of proves a point I tried to make a while back. Blocking is as disgusting in racing as it punting someone out of your way. Whichever way NASCAR ruled yesterday I saw that they did listen to the protest from the DEI team immediately. Thats a small plus for them. I did not lose much respect for NASCAR over this deal, I had none to lose since I lost that with all the format changes over recent years. Sure do love watching the other series race on the Speed channel. Its just that they do not show enough of them. :)

i think if it had not been 20 or an other "big" name who won they would have said 01 had won ,but can anyone imagine the tirade stewart would have put out if they had said regan had won ? and yes the announcers did say "nascar said anything goes on the last lap" it really doesn't matter though because even if they did overturn their decision regan didn't get to celebrate the victory the way a first time cup winner should have. B) NOT RIGHT!!!

Regan should have won... PLAIN AND SIMPLE...

As for the hater who tried to call me out ...AGAIN...

POINTS RACING? Jimmie... dude was a lap down...twice... had his front spliter broke and repaired, and still pulled out a top 10... I LOATHE THE MAN and rarely defend him, but there was hardly POINTS racing going on there yesterday...if there was, Matt, Biffle, Carl and Jr would have all FINISHED the race and not been in a wreck that was due to aggressive driving, not conservative points racing...

as for 03... I have always said I can go either way on that one... did JR pass...yes... but... JR already had position on the bottom. Matt was running up high, caused Jimmie to get loose, he swerves and pulls down to avoid Jimmie and almost knocks Jr in the door which caused jr to pull down...dude was already running the line as close as he could already... Again, I see both calls on that one, it was not as obvious as yesterdays...and there was also still like 3 laps to go...plenty of time to get another run...

Yesterday was a SAD SAD call...

THIS IS FROM SI.COM Bruce MArtin... from his article today

SIGN OF THE (BAD ECONOMIC) TIMES

The bad economy and residual effects of Hurricane Gustav, which ravaged the Gulf Coast and left the southeast with a gasoline shortage, is taking a toll on NASCAR attendance.

A trip to Talladega was always a highlight of the season, as much to see the denizens of rabid -- if not highly-intoxicated -- fans as to see the unique form of racing. In past years, the track would be jammed pack for both of its race dates and fans would line up on the sides of Speedway Boulevard and turn it into a type of Mardi Gras" where practically anything goes.

But on my drive over from Atlanta on Thursday afternoon, it became quite apparent that this weekend would be different. The huge campground off Interstate 20 was sparsely populated compared to past years. And on Friday evening, the traffic on Speedway Boulevard was a breeze, when usually it's a hassle.

The real shock, however, came on Sunday, when traffic was not a problem on race day. Much to my surprise, there were no Alabama State Troopers directing traffic off Alabama Highway 77 because there was no traffic. In past years, a fan could spend several hours in traffic creeping to the main entrance of the track, but on Sunday it was wide open.

Pulling into the infield was the biggest shock of all -- virtually empty grandstands off Turn 4 and Turn 1, with the backstretch grandstands no more than half-full. In the past, crowds at Talladega exceeded 160,000; on Sunday it was probably two-thirds capacity.

Make no mistake about it, a crowd of 100,000 for any sporting event is a huge attendance. The IndyCar Series would love to have crowds that big for its races other than the Indianapolis 500, which draws over 300,000. But in a year in which some of NASCAR's fans have voiced disenchantment with the new car, the style of racing, the Chase for the Championship and other things, NASCAR's biggest test will come from surviving a weakening economy, which is having a detrimental impact on its crowds.

the oil companies will shut down a plant in order to cut back production, causing the price to shoot back up again. im sure it will happen after the election next month. they want us to feel all warm and fuzzy with the lower gas prices for now. they control the fate of the world. lol.

as for smith finishing 18th. at least they were consistant. the penalty for passing below the yellow line is a stop and go which would make him the last car on the lead lap. which is exactly where he finished. it sucks for him, but at least nascar was consistant. that is what everyone rips them about all the time, and now they get ripped for being consistant. they cant win either way, kind of like the local tech officials.

the oil companies will shut down a plant in order to cut back production, causing the price to shoot back up again. im sure it will happen after the election next month. they want us to feel all warm and fuzzy with the lower gas prices for now. they control the fate of the world. lol.

as for smith finishing 18th. at least they were consistant. the penalty for passing below the yellow line is a stop and go which would make him the last car on the lead lap. which is exactly where he finished. it sucks for him, but at least nascar was consistant. that is what everyone rips them about all the time, and now they get ripped for being consistant. they cant win either way, kind of like the local tech officials.

But NASCAR isn't being consistant. Again, Jr's win in 03. I believe Kyle Busch won the spring race this year after he passed below the line. Ironic how two big names get away with it, and not only does a no-name not get away with it, but it benefits a big name.

Oddly enough, in the 2006 Bud Shootout, Carl Edwards (who wasn't quite a "big name" at the time) was penalized twice for passing below the yellow line. Once because he was trying to avoid a potential wreck, and I believe the other time he was avoiding a wreck.

IRL has a rule that you may only block a pass in one direction. Therefore if Nascar had adopted that rule(half of the field would of been penalized)Stewart would of been penalized. Sending Smith to the last car on the lead lap is another of Nascars INCONSISTENT calls. I have not yet seen a car that did the same as Smith get penalized so many positions. Hell, they didnt even do that to Kyle Bush 2 years ago.

The other side to this, remember how much you hate mirror driving and punting to pass when you gladly aplaud it when your hero does it. I have seen some of the people here on TXSZ complain about Nascar but when a local wads up two or three cars its called good hard racin. Its Bull! Nascar is teaching our young well. Hope mine take up golf.

“This is your warning: race above the yellow line. If, in NASCAR’S judgment, you go below the yellow line to improve your position, you will be black-flagged. If in NASCAR’s judgment you force someone below the yellow line (in an effort to stop him from passing you), you may be black-flagged.”

I guess it was Tony's lucky day. It appears that NASCAR encourages blocking to some degree.

below the yellow line to improve your position, you will be black-flagged

below the yellow line (in an effort to stop him from passing you), you may be black-flagged

"I made a counter move when I saw him [smith] coming and got him committed in one direction and got back down to the line in a hurry," Stewart said. Stewart said further that he had no qualms about blocking Smith.

"I've lost Daytona 500s, and I've lost races here because somebody blocked," Stewart said. "The nice thing is that I was on the right end of it this time. I have no regrets."

Of course not Tony, you are the chosen one...LOL

I know this might be a little off the subject but why,after 20 years,do the Goodyears blow out like they do at tracks where the speeds flurt with the 200 mph mark?Afterall,20 years ago they were going an average of 210 mph (220 in the straights) and for the most part the tires held up.Is tire technology going the wrong way or is there something very very fishy going on here?I love conspiracy theories. B)

p.s.-the tires cost three times as much now....shouldn't they go three times as fast?

POINTS RACING? Jimmie

Obviously you didn't watch the race.....Jimmie admitted it on the in-car video/audio.... :angry:

SIGN OF THE (BAD ECONOMIC) TIMES

or just people fed up with NA$CAR....gas is cheaper now than it has been in months, maybe if they wouldn't charge $5 for a 60 cent Coke or an arm and leg for tickets..... :(

Kiss NA$CAR's behind all you want honey....maybe Brian will send you a form letter invitation to his house next... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

HATER???? you personally....certainly not......your new NA$CAR blood destroying what real racing was all about....HELL YES!!!

I'm a Stewart fan but there is something wrong when a pass for the WIN is illegal . I understand it during the course of the race but coming to the checkered flag it should ok to go for the win there.Putting him in 18th isn't fair either because there would had been a wreck if he hadn't gone below the line.NASCAR is losing credability little by little.They need to put Thursday Night Thunder back on.That was some good racing.

But NASCAR isn't being consistant. Again, Jr's win in 03. I believe Kyle Busch won the spring race this year after he passed below the line. Ironic how two big names get away with it, and not only does a no-name not get away with it, but it benefits a big name.

Oddly enough, in the 2006 Bud Shootout, Carl Edwards (who wasn't quite a "big name" at the time) was penalized twice for passing below the yellow line. Once because he was trying to avoid a potential wreck, and I believe the other time he was avoiding a wreck.

I keep hearing about the big name team winning. Isn't DEI a big name team?

Archived