TPS QUAL ORDER & RULES

Randy,

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make. 1750, 2500 - it doesn't really make that big a difference and in either case the hit is softer than hitting the wall. I don't know that I would want to be in either car but I would not base my choice of which one to build based on the criteria that someone might be heavier than me on the track. For the record, there should be no reason anyone has a 2500 lb car

As far as the rules, you asked if anyone else runs with 600-800 lbs weight difference (or potential weight difference). The answer is yes and as far as i can tell, they do it for the same reason TPS does it - even competition.

My personal view is that the 2300 is just like the small block Chevy, not the best choice, just convenient because of the availability of parts. With the rules the way they are now I would be working on an Ecotec (GM), Duratec (Ford) or something similar.

I QUOTE NEIL

1. What is the biggest weight difference in the class? Heaviest cars weight minus lightest cars weight. Based upon published TPS weight regulations, cars in the THR race range between 2,300 lbs to 1,722 lbs.

THE DIFFERENCE IS 578 LBS AND PER OLD RULES (PRIOR TO THE 2300LB R&D RULE)SOME REAR WHEEL DRIVES HAD TO WEIGH 2550. THATS A DIFFERENCE OF 828. HAVING THE DRIVER IN THE CAR DOES NOT CHANGE THAT.

FYI- I SAT IN MY CAR EVERYTIME WE WENT ACROSS THE SCALES IN THE 4 YEARS WE RACED(00-03)

OK, based on Winnemucca Regional Raceway rules (which you pointed out was a RWD only class), I could build a Toyota with a 2TC and only have to weigh 1675 lbs (actually I think it is 1673, 1598cc @ 1lb/cc + 75lb for the aluminum head) and compete against Mustangs running a 2500cc racing at 2550 lbs+. TPS is not unique in this.

That's actually not a bad idea, the 2TC or the big brother 3TC are bad a$$ little motors. The 3TC can be bored 4mm over to produce a very oversquare 1944cc engine. The head is a true Hemi that can flow very good numbers with a little massaging while the bottom end is good for almost 9000 rpm on stock rods.

BTW, you mentioned earlier about penalizing dominating cars, did you remember that the year you ran and "dominated" you and the other domestic RWD cars were the only cars in TPS allowed to run the 500 CFM Holley carb? Everyone else was running OEM heads with 290 CFM Weber carbs, legal by the rules but a little like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Were you really surprised that Neil imposed the restrictor plate rather than just require everyone that wanted to compete to buy new carbs? Please note that there is no restrictor plate provision in the 2008 TPS rules and the RWD cars over 2200cc were given a weight break.

2001 Optional Pro Sedan Carburetors:

1. Air-cooled VW’s may optionally use one Weber 44 IDF 2bbl carburetor (44mm x 42mm).

2. Over 2000cc domestic, rear wheel drive cars (e.g. Pinto, Mustang, Chevette, FWD Dodge) may optionally use one Holley 2bbl 500cfm (#4412) – IF:

a) equipped with an OEM cylinder head; and

b)pistons retain the exact design characteristics of OEM flat top pistons (valve relief OK); and

c) the crankshaft retains stock stroke; and

d) authorized by TPS Officials.

Here is the answer.

I guess TPS was ahead of the times, go look at the web site for Orange Show speedway and you will see that the SVO and ARCA heads require a 1.25 restrictor and limit compression depending on the head and size of engine as well as left side weight. At least with the 38MM restrictor we had back then it was right at 1.5 inches. They also have the statement about adjusting the rules to maintain even competition. Just found it interesting.

Archived