Thunderhill Raceway Race Results - September 6

Doug may not be too happy with me but I feel it necessary to add some additional comments to this discussion about the ride height infraction. It was my original post that brought out most of the coments. The majority of those responses and comments have totally missed the point I was trying to make in that first post. To be sure, I prefer an intelligent and rational discussion rather than some of the nonsensical, disrespectful and condecending comments suggesting panties are in a wad and a man that has been around and involved with racing for over 40 years needs to grow up. There was no formal protest submitted regarding the disqualification of the 02. It was never even considered. I did question the Tech Inspector about the infraction and was told the rule is clear and consistency must be maintained. I certainly don't disagree with the necessity to be consistent. However, in reading the ride height rule it's my opinion it needs to be reviewed and improved before next season. Some may see a quarter inch bolt securing a body brace as the frame....I don't. I've heard "rules are rules" and "It's black and white." Actually it's not as black and white as some have stated. The rule does allow for the Techinical Inspector to use judgement when determining post race ride height. I witnessed the disqualification and it's my opinion there was no attempt to determine if there was perhaps a circumstance other than an attempt to gain an advantage that could have caused the infraction. Feature wins are hard to come by for the majority of the drivers and in my opinion a disqualification should not be a snap decision. This one was. I think before a car is disqualified for a technical infraction and especially if a win is stripped there should be more than "It hit, You're done."

As Doug stated, there's no plea as some have said to have a seperate set of rules for the 02. That's ridiculous and anyone that suggests that does not know Doug Ayers. I do have a suggestion for those that are perfectly happy with the rules as written and concider them the Holy Grail of racing. I invite you to open a new topic and title it "Rules are Rules and we the undersigned will never ever question any of them." If you do then you have every right to criticize me for suggesting the rule needs to be revisited. Any takers?

Doug's Dad

Terry Ayers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion it is perfectly OK to question a rule or a call. No one is perfect and those involved should have the opportunity to speak their mind without being blamed for the demise of racing in Texas. People who are on this site should not expect everyone to be happy 100% of the time. No one is, just because you question a rule or a call does not mean you are bashing or even asking for special treatment. I have been a vocal supporter of the track and the officials all year and yes, I have questioned some calls. I didn't read this post and think that it was a THR or Tech man bash fest, merely a suggestion that some rules be looked at for upcoming years. I know that it would be impossible to change the rules to make everyone happy but it seems to me that this is not the first DQ resulting from this rule this year ( I may be wrong) and that we have had this discussion before. I also know that just because you have rules in place does not mean there is not room for improvement. We all have room for improvement. I really enjoy THR but that does not mean that I have to enjoy or agree with every aspect, rule or call made by the officials. Well with that being said, lets go racing and we will see y'all Saturday.

Doug may not be too happy with me but I feel it necessary to add some additional comments to this discussion about the ride height infraction. It was my original post that brought out most of the coments. The majority of those responses and comments have totally missed the point I was trying to make in that first post. To be sure, I prefer an intelligent and rational discussion rather than some of the nonsensical, disrespectful and condecending comments suggesting panties are in a wad and a man that has been around and involved with racing for over 40 years needs to grow up. There was no formal protest submitted regarding the disqualification of the 02. It was never even considered. I did question the Tech Inspector about the infraction and was told the rule is clear and consistency must be maintained. I certainly don't disagree with the necessity to be consistent. However, in reading the ride height rule it's my opinion it needs to be reviewed and improved before next season. Some may see a quarter inch bolt securing a body brace as the frame....I don't. I've heard "rules are rules" and "It's black and white." Actually it's not as black and white as some have stated. The rule does allow for the Techinical Inspector to use judgement when determining post race ride height. I witnessed the disqualification and it's my opinion there was no attempt to determine if there was perhaps a circumstance other than an attempt to gain an advantage that could have caused the infraction. Feature wins are hard to come by for the majority of the drivers and in my opinion a disqualification should not be a snap decision. This one was. I think before a car is disqualified for a technical infraction and especially if a win is stripped there should be more than "It hit, You're done."

As Doug stated, there's no plea as some have said to have a seperate set of rules for the 02. That's ridiculous and anyone that suggests that does not know Doug Ayers. I do have a suggestion for those that are perfectly happy with the rules as written and concider them the Holy Grail of racing. I invite you to open a new topic and title it "Rules are Rules and we the undersigned will never ever question any of them." If you do then you have every right to criticize me for suggesting the rule needs to be revisited. Any takers?

Doug's Dad

Terry Ayers

Since your going to quote me Ill go ahead and say I wasn't refering to you. I in no way think the rules are "perfect" but at the same time I love racing and Im not gunna let anything get in the way of my fun. I was asked to leave the track early during the last race of the night cause I had no scanner, but Im not gunna let that get me down. They want me to have a scanner then Im gunna get one.

This year is Levi's first year in the Super Stocks. We were unsure of which way to concentrate our racing after the Legacy's. What impressed us the most was the good hard racing and the competition level in the Super Stock division at THR. The quality of the drivers, in my opinion, is on the level of any touring series in Texas. This year I have sat back and watched Levi race and interact with the drivers in the class and have been pleased with the way the competitors have taken him under their wing, giving him the benefit of their experience. This is exactly what we were looking for and I am excited that it has worked out so well. As in all of racing, and families, not everything always goes as expected. There are always bumps in the road. I for one hope we all can get past this and continue our passion for racing. I know that Levi and the other young drivers can only benefit from quality folks like Clint & Bobby and Doug, sharing their experiences on and off the track.

Hope to see you at the races,

Mel

Matt, why aren't you racin' this weekend?

I dont want to use up my right sides I bought last time out and dont really want to spend the money this weekend. Trust me, I want to race but at the same time Id rather be able to buy new left sides at the spectacular and not have to worry about the rights. Not to mention, itll be nice to put a little money away this week.

Matt,

I have has some stuff that'll make all your tires like new. For 20 or 25 laps anyways ;) .

Archived