Playland Park

wayne

Cecil Elliot

Well, thought it would be cool if we could find some old photos of Playland Park with Cecil Elliott.

As a kid and a tot I was always thrilled to watch Cecil when he would let off the exhaust to enter the turns as the flames would blow out the exhaust of his old modified stocker.

What was so intreresting about his car is the exhaust came out the rear trunk lid up high on the tail section. I guess as a kid, it was fascinating to watch.

So, with that in mind.. Cecil would become another favorite driver at Playland.

Jim,

Since you have plenty of time on your hands these days, maybe you could go downtown to the Houston Public Library.

I understand they have thousands of photos on Micro Film relating to Playland and Meyerland that can be obtained.

It's a pity that many old photos have disappeared for reasons as being thrown away, lost or damaged by flood, fire etc.

Anyway, sounded like a good project for you.. :lol: :lol:

You find them, I'll edit and post..Deal?

Hi, Did anyone find any pictures of Cecil Elliott? He is my Boyfriends grandfather, He had never got to meet him nor has he ever seen a picture of him. I did find one on the Obituary and my boyfriend looks Identical to him. But If any one can find any pictures we would be so grateful.

I have been sharing every single story I can find about him. thanks to every one that has memories of Cecil Elliott.

Thanks BrewerRacer

Would love to see more photo's of our Grandpa Elliot I had found this forum back in 01 and read the comments and stuff never saw photo's til today would love to see more.... Jimmy Griswold I understand you to be our Grandpa's nephew nice to meet you would love love to get into contact with you ... and see any more photo's news paper clipings etc... My late mother was Cecil's eldest Daughter her name was Cecil;a Ruth Elliot her sister is still living in Patton Village where they grew up as children her name is Mary Virgina Elliott they had a half sister that is younger then them not sure if she is till alive or not but met her once before my mother Ruth passed away not sure if you may never heard of them perhaps not ,, I know my grand parents divorced when my mother was a little girl and she was pregnant with my sister when our grandpa was killed in 57 ... you can message me Jim if you would like ... thanks so much of all the stories about our grandpa Elliott...

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just re-worked a photo album for my grandfather (Charles Ashford) who raced with his father (Clyde Ashford) at Playland Park back in the early 50’s.  While I re-worked the album (it was falling apart) I archive scanned the photos (file size is huge).  I’ll share some of those photos here after I get the file size down.  My grandfather was young (14-16) back during these days and has been telling me a lot of stories from these days.  Cecil Elliot, Norman Pierce, Billy Wade, and on, and on kept coming up.  I searched for Playland Park Speedway on google and found this site not expecting to find much, I’m surprised and honored to see some of these photos (some of the links are broken).  My grandfather is still alive, his wife (Louise) was an impromptu trophy girl a lot of nights back then (I have photos of her presenting to Cecil among others.  Small world. A story about Micky and a set of “nude photos of Marlyn Monroe” wrapped in tin foil was told... curious if she got some of you with them.

I see that the organizer of Niftee Fiftee is here, (who I’ve spoken to several times not knowing) that our families paths have crossed before.  How do I reach you?  I’m living out of state and can’t drop by the show very easily right now.

I’m in the process of trying to reach AJ, to see about getting them together again.  

Thank you for this thread - Charles

7D0F00D5-7A95-4877-B3B4-9D755E51D463.jpeg

68F10B59-1174-49E6-8CFF-2E705893B807.jpeg

19 minutes ago, flash said:

I just re-worked a photo album for my grandfather (Charles Ashford) who raced with his father (Clyde Ashford) at Playland Park back in the early 50’s.  While I re-worked the album (it was falling apart) I archive scanned the photos (file size is huge).  I’ll share some of those photos here after I get the file size down.  My grandfather was young (14-16) back during these days and has been telling me a lot of stories from these days.  Cecil Elliot, Norman Pierce, Billy Wade, and on, and on kept coming up.  I searched for Playland Park Speedway on google and found this site not expecting to find much, I’m surprised and honored to see some of these photos (some of the links are broken).  My grandfather is still alive, his wife (Louise) was an impromptu trophy girl a lot of nights back then (I have photos of her presenting to Cecil among others.  Small world. A story about Micky and a set of “nude photos of Marlyn Monroe” wrapped in tin foil was told... curious if she got some of you with them.

I see that the organizer of Niftee Fiftee is here, (who I’ve spoken to several times not knowing) that our families paths have crossed before.  How do I reach you?  I’m living out of state and can’t drop by the show very easily right now.

I’m in the process of trying to reach AJ, to see about getting them together again.  Thank you for this thread - Charles

What a wonderful set of photos you have there, Charles.  I sure hope you post as many as you like on here.  This section of the site has lots of visitors, just not much talk lately..

Nick

Archived