Playland Park

wayne

Yeah Jim,

Wingo was a trip allright and a cop you didn't want to P.O... :angry:

Jr. Wingo (His Son) raced the 1/4 Midgets with us..

Somewhere, I have a photo of myself with a young man and what looks to be a go kart… I wonder if it might be Wingo Jr. When I find it I'll be sure to post it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playlandbaby,

Thanks for filling us in with Officer Wingo.

Somehow, it's a small world out there and thank goodness we have Lone Star Speedzone to bring it all back together again!

:rolleyes:

OK guys, here's something for all you old (and I DO mean OLD) Playland Park fans...I'd been looking for this particular issue of Rod & Custom magazine for quite awhile around here, and it wasn't until I wasn't actually LOOKING for it that I found it - but isn't that the way it usually goes??

This is from the June 1991 issue, and way back then I just happed to pick it up and find something inside about Ronnie Chumley & Jim Saunders restoring this old car of A.J.'s from Playland Park - I don't know what happened to the car since this was printed, but I had mentioned to Randy that I would love to have this (or something Like it) show up at his Nifty-50's some Saturday night!!

And Nick, sorry about the sizing - I let my software automatically upgrade and now I have this Photo Smart Essential to work with - I've managed to get THIS far, but I have not yet figured out to make these darn things smaller yet!!

post-3-1317067323.jpg

post-3-1317067331.jpg

post-3-1317067345.jpg

post-3-1317067355.jpg

Tommy,

Nice job here!

I remember this article and I am happy you found it again and also thanks for sharing with all us old ..guys.

Hang in there, you too will get there..

Speaking of Niftee 50ees, I will have to post a photo of one of our participants who attends the event and you would think it was Billy Griswold at Meyer Speedway in the mid 60's.

I will scan and post to Meyer Thread so be on the lookout for it. You won't believe it!

The next time you attend Niftee 50ees, please come forward and introduce yourself. Would like to meet you personally.

• 2 weeks later...

hey play land baby, the photo with norman pierce on the right, thats your uncle wingo on the left. i met norman in the mid 70s. i work with dale pierce. norman is his uncle. what is your uncle wingo real name? maybe dale knows him.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
What Texas series was this, what track, and who are the 3 drivers?

TIDA at Longhorn, red 96 of Greg Davidson, the lead car looks like John David JR based on the numbers? and let me think about the middle one.

The large color pic of the coupe shows it to be parked on the turn 4 leg of the infield "X" at Longhorn. The cars in the background are in turn 3 and 4. The small pic of the coupe on track is down the backstraight there.

• 3 years later...

Cecil Elliot

Well, thought it would be cool if we could find some old photos of Playland Park with Cecil Elliott.

As a kid and a tot I was always thrilled to watch Cecil when he would let off the exhaust to enter the turns as the flames would blow out the exhaust of his old modified stocker.

What was so intreresting about his car is the exhaust came out the rear trunk lid up high on the tail section. I guess as a kid, it was fascinating to watch.

So, with that in mind.. Cecil would become another favorite driver at Playland.

Jim,

Since you have plenty of time on your hands these days, maybe you could go downtown to the Houston Public Library.

I understand they have thousands of photos on Micro Film relating to Playland and Meyerland that can be obtained.

It's a pity that many old photos have disappeared for reasons as being thrown away, lost or damaged by flood, fire etc.

Anyway, sounded like a good project for you.. :lol: :lol:

You find them, I'll edit and post..Deal?

Hi, Did anyone find any pictures of Cecil Elliott? He is my Boyfriends grandfather, He had never got to meet him nor has he ever seen a picture of him. I did find one on the Obituary and my boyfriend looks Identical to him. But If any one can find any pictures we would be so grateful.

I have been sharing every single story I can find about him. thanks to every one that has memories of Cecil Elliott.

Thanks BrewerRacer

I SURE DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING BUT I HAVE SOME NEW PIC'S OF MY UNCLE CECIL. HIS DAUGHTER GAVE THEM TO ME LAST WEEK. NOTICE THE FISHER HEAD. THATS THE MIDGET UNCLE CECIL WAS KILLED IN. I HAVE MORE BUT WILL WAIT AND SEE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. JIMMY attachicon.gifCecil_La...r_midget.jpg attachicon.gif1.jpg attachicon.gifCecil_La...close_up.jpg attachicon.gif2.jpg attachicon.gif3.jpg

I would love love to see more photo's of Grandpa Cecil Elliott

Archived